Flying from MIA to Puerto Rico, AGAIN~!

Hi Guys,
I have another ferry job, this time taking a Velocity to Puerto Rico. Pretty cool plane, and everyone gave me tons of help before with the 172 job to the same area. Anyway, the velocity has 95 gallons, 180kts, and about 11gph burn. I could nearly go to PR and back to MIA on 1 tank with reserves, but not the question.

My question is a basic question, but in the event that I dont like something along the way, how hard is it to deviate? PR is a domestic flight, so no customs clearance on either end, but if I needed to stop in the turks or DR if weather changes or any unforseen problems (experimental aircraft), can I just advice ATC and ask to deviate if required? Anyone ever done that? What's the procedure? I am not certain if the aircraft has a customs sticker, I doubt it really, but for the ferry flight it isnt needed as it is domestic. It is well equipted, dual EFIS, adsb in/out, solid autopilot.

Anyway, anyone with input, I'd love to hear it on procedures to deviate and if its a big deal being it would become an international flight in that event.

Thanks.

Agreed upon ICAO freedoms of navigation provide civil aircraft the ability to divert to international destinations for wx or mechanical as deemed necessary by the PIC. That isn't really the "complication".

The complication lies in the ground logistics if you didn't bring your passport. I presume you're asking the question from the hypothetical of just grabbing your wallet in Florida, filing domestic with an airplane lacking a customs registration (sticker or purchase receipt) and nonchalantly getting on your way without so much as a passport on your person. I don't recommend flying over international airspace without a passport. You're inviting a trip-wrecking ha$$$le if you have to land abroad without the proper ID.

With a passport in hand, it's a pretty benign affair, post facto sticker/eapis/cbp-reindeer games kabuki notwithstanding.

So bring your passport, and file domestic. Divert is a benign affair at that point.

Have a safe trip!

I think leaning on the performance availability of a non-stop flight in order to downplay an expired passport, is a bit shaky ADM. I get it, you're playing the odds everything will be ok and you won't have to put down short of PR and not able to fly back to FL. You do you on that front, I'll digress on it.

At any rate, According to the DoS, they're allowing passports that expired after Jan 2020 to proceed until Dec 31, 2021, citing the backlogs. They also cite that an expired passport may not be used for outbound international travel, but can be used for the purposes of "connecting". They mean non-disembarking, which for a part 91 PIC a technical stop (which a wx or mx divert would fall under) would be covered in that category.

Knowing what I know about the CBP, I wouldn't even mess with this plan with an expired passport. But if you're feeling charitable in dealing with those jackalopes, then by all means proceed and good luck with the trip.

As to the ATC logistics of a divert: It's a nothingburger; it's transparent to you. No need to file anything, inform ATC of your intentions (to include declaring an emergency if warranted), and they will amend the strip and landline the receiving sector of your impromptu arrival. If it occurs in a zone of radio lack of reception, attempt the follow on frequency, otherwise declare and use airliners on guard frequency to forward your intentions.

Wish we lived in simpler times where bureaucracies hadn't turned recreational aviation into the political equivalent of smuggling nuclear warheads. But we live in the world of what things are, not the world of what things should be. Good luck to you. Cheers.

Last edited:
you also need to check the controlling agencies of those countries. some do not allow aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate (ie experimental) in their airspace. I know mexico will not allow it.

You are 100% on ADM.... but took the job prior to realization there of the expired passport, and candidly, I didnt give it much thought as it is a domestic flight. All the same, now I am rationalizing my poor ADM skills... haha. Thanks a ton for the info! In the trying world now, I need all the work I can get, as long as it is safe and legal, I need the money. Thanks for all the help!

Oooof.....God speed.

Something got deleted in the thread because I can’t find any reference to the expired passport from the OP. Keep in mind however that passport extensions approved by the US generally won’t be accepted in foreign countries. It basically is for using the passport as ID in the US. In fact many countries reject a passport unless it has 6 months remaining before expiring. Puerto Rico currently requires you fill out a arrival portal for covid even if arriving from the US.

Back