Flying Formation!

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
Today I was lucky enough to ride in the back of a Nanchung flying formation with other Nanchung and some yaks. Of course I took tons of pictures and here are a few of them.

#1-I was in the back of the lead plane (The Yak is covering up another Nanchung behind it)

#2-We are in lead with the #2 man close

#3-A nanchung shadowed out(I thought this one looked cool)

#4-An interesting visitor to PTS, I was told it was a Piranha.

Attachments

• DSC01740.JPG
    DSC01740.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC01743.JPG
    DSC01743.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC01738.JPG
    DSC01738.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC01728.JPG
    DSC01728.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Nice photos and lucky you! RE: Photo #1: is that what the Russkies consider gear retraction?

Richard said:
Nice photos and lucky you! RE: Photo #1: is that what the Russkies consider gear retraction?

Yep. I suspect the idea was to provide the trainees with a gear lever to operate while still providing fixed gear like protection when the students forget. IIRC a Yak 52 goes about 5 Kt faster with the gear up, about what I get for closing my cowl flaps.

Formation flying is challenging, demanding, exhililrating, and just plain fun if you're willing to make the effort to learn how to do it right. Having trained quite a few folks it this area, my experience is that it does not require Hoover-like skills, just the willingness to work and learn, and the ability to discipline oneself. There's a good article on how to get started on AvWeb. I encourage anyone whose interest is stimulated by Rudy's pictures to contact either Formation Flying Inc. (FFI) for civilian planes or the Formation And Safety Team (FAST) if you fly a warbird.

Back