Flying Dutchman?

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I was waiting to leave Boston yesterday when this ship came out of the fog just long enugh to get the picture-then it disappeared. I wonder if clearance is needed- those masts must be startling at least on short final!

Just for fun- care to make up a caption?

Attachments

• KBOS3Oct07.jpg
    KBOS3Oct07.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 65
Holy crap. It's a pirate.

Just the Pirates of America looking for a $100 hamburger.

Hey that is a cool picture and approach plate!

Hey, John! (John Clough, that is)

Here's an "Oklahoma Hello" for you.

Does it get any better than taking a curtain call bow when the audience is on its feet? "Ah, the roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd".

HR

Attachments

• Oklahoma_2113_M.jpg
    Oklahoma_2113_M.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Oklahoma_2136_M.jpg
    Oklahoma_2136_M.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
BOS Tower is very dilligent in telling us when a tall ship is in the area, and they get A LOT of tall ships in the area. Most days approach will warn you when they clear you for the approach, when they hand you off to tower, then tower will warn you when you first check in, when they clear you to land, and sometimes before you cross the shore line. They take those things very seriously. And whatever you do, never never fly over the big green ship. They'll tell you that even more than will about a tall ship...it's a huge petrol tanker that comes into the port in the channel under the short final area...they'll vector you on 2 mile final if that's what it takes to keep you out from above the big boat that can erase downtown Boston.

Nothing beats turning final over a ship yard lined with war ships and ocean-going tankers and freighters. I love KBOS.

Tall ships in the harbour are sometimes reported on the ATIS. They not only affect approach mins but takeoff weights can also be affected also. UAL uses a more restrictive set of takeoff data due to obstacle cleareance concerns for single engine climb gradient.

Mitch

That looks like a Picture of the Week entry to me!

BOS Tower is very dilligent in telling us when a tall ship is in the area, and they get A LOT of tall ships in the area. Most days approach will warn you when they clear you for the approach, when they hand you off to tower, then tower will warn you when you first check in, when they clear you to land, and sometimes before you cross the shore line. They take those things very seriously. And whatever you do, never never fly over the big green ship. They'll tell you that even more than will about a tall ship...it's a huge petrol tanker that comes into the port in the channel under the short final area...they'll vector you on 2 mile final if that's what it takes to keep you out from above the big boat that can erase downtown Boston.

Nothing beats turning final over a ship yard lined with war ships and ocean-going tankers and freighters. I love KBOS.

When it's foggy, like in the picture, how do they know? Surface RADAR? the harbor master tells them? PIREPs?

That's an excellent question (one that I was actually pondering while watching a MASSIVE Norwegian Cruise Line ship lumber out of the harbor night before last), and I don't know the answer, though both the seaport and the airport are run by MassPort, so I would imagine they do a pretty good job of communicating about potential hazards in the harbor...it's as big of a concern for the boats there as it is for the airplanes not far above them.

Its the "Acheron". A French privateer.

:D

Back