Flying Clubs

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
So, I started asking people last night in the chat room a question - and would like to open it up to everyone here.

What do you look for in a flying club?

What questions should I ask a prospective club?

How can you tell a good from bad club?

Jesse, I want follow up on the "if you fly into a barn" comment :D

As always thank for the replies!

Jason, I had a very bad experience with the first and only club I ever belonged to, and this was the one I got my PP-ASEL in. The maintenance was awful. I remember wanting to get in some solo time once and I rejected three planes because of defects I found in preflight.

As a result, I like partnerships a whole better than clubs.

Having said that, I'm sure there are some good clubs out there. I'd start out by talking to members, particularly those who fly a lot. How are squawks handled? How often do they find deficiencies in preflight? Next, I'd ask to look at the aircraft logbooks. Look for maintenance issues. If you don't see any, that may be a sign that maintenance is not being done and that annual may not be thorough.

I have to say, the club to which I belong is as good as I have ever seen. Rates are very reasonable, the club's a non-profit club and they mean it. The treasurer takes pride in just balancing.

Monthly meetings are always on timely topics relating to safer flight and better-informed airmen (examples: visit Ft. Worth Center (ARTCC), high-altitude chamber trip, etc.).

Most importantly, the club's insurance makes every member a named insured- no subrogation in the event of a loss.

www.rfcdallas.com

Edit: Plus, how many clubs have a Concorde pilot in 'em?

Maintenance is tops on the list for me. This is the primary reason I'm considering leaving the club I'm in.

2nd would probably be availability. Don't load up the club so much that you have to schedule 4 weeks out to get an airplane.

Rates are relative based upon type and quality of aircraft compared to area rentals.

Jay: There's just a bunch of stuff to find out; analogous to purchasing a plane. Availability when you need the plane; type planes; maintenance has been covered; who runs the club--leadership; other members and compatibility; profit or non; potential liability; dues, etc. Just start asking questions of members and read the documents to begin. From there, networking with members and leaders should either get you comfortable or set you off in another direction.

I'm in the same club as Spike and am very pleased. I'm more in an admin role now that I have my own plane, but great members and leadership; nice planes and good maintenance.

Best,

Dave

Availability, good maintenance, reasonable prices, good policies, and airplanes better than you can rent.

Also, "club" can mean a lot of things. Some FBO's call it a "club membership" when you buy block time. Some FBO's require you to buy a membership and pay dues as if they were a club. I don't consider these for-profit types to really be clubs.

Then there's some clubs that have theoretically unlimited numbers of members. Availability may or may not be a problem, depending on how many of them actually fly on a regular basis. You'd be surprised how many folks belong to a club and never fly at all.

Then, there's equity clubs, where you actually own a piece of the club and membership is generally limited to a specific number of people. With one plane, look for no more than 8 members. Two planes, maybe 20. Three or four planes, 12 members a plane and so on. That should give you good availability.

Then there's partnerships where you probably only have one plane but you actually own a piece of the plane.

With any type of club, you'll want to know how to get in (and how much), how to get OUT in case you move away/don't like it/buy a plane/whatever, how much per hour for the planes (wet or dry?), how much per month for dues or whatever your share of the bills is (and how much) for a partnership, policies on where you can land (grass? field length/width? outside the ConUS?), policies on scheduling and how it's done, policies on taking the plane(s) on trip(s) for multiple days (is there an hourly minimum per day?), how squawks are handled, whether they keep GPS databases up to date if applicable, whether the plane(s) are IFR certified and current, whether you'll need to take club checkrides for currency, what instructors you can use (does it have to be a club instructor, or can you use any qualified CFI), what the experience minimums and checkout requirements are for their airplanes, do they have required meetings or other events, do they have social events or group fly-outs, what upgrades are planned for the future, how the club leadership is structured, and if I can make this sentence run any longer. :rofl:

FWIW, as an example, I belong to an equity club with 30 members, two Archers (one with GX55 IFR GPS), and a C182 (with G430W IFR GPS and S-TEC autopilot). To get in, you have to buy someone's shares who is looking to get out. "Going rate" is generally $1000 but if someone wants to get out bad enough (and stop being responsible for monthly dues), shares are sometimes given away. There's also a $50 stock transfer fee to get in. As I alluded to above, you're responsible for the monthly dues until you get out of the club by selling (or giving away) your shares to a new member. The planes are currently $87 per tach hour on the Archers and $124 per tach hour on the 182, which includes the fuel surcharge (we have a fuel surcharge structure that automatically changes every month to reflect current fuel prices). Dues are $120 a month but your first $40 worth of flying per month is free (we call it the "flying credit") as long as you pay your bill on time. Our members are allowed to land our airplanes at any FAA-recognized airport, including grass strips and private strips. If you want to go outside the ConUS or take the plane on a trip longer than 10 days, you're required to give advance notice to the board of directors so that the proper insurance and maintenance requirements can be taken care of before you leave. Any overnight trip requires one hour per night minimum time on the plane. Scheduling is done on aircraftclubs.com which also has an interactive voice-response phone system. We have a Maintenance Officer who handles all squawks and regular maintenance scheduling. All airplanes are IFR certified and all GPS databases are kept current. Our only club currency requirement above and beyond the FAA's is that if you haven't flown ASEL in 6 months you're required to take an instructor (no going up solo to regain currency after that long). We're allowed to use any qualified CFI. The Archers require that you are at least a student who has soloed, 25 hours, and a CFI sign-off. The 182 requires either 100TT and 5 in type, or 10 in type, and a CFI sign-off. We have a "wash day" twice a year where we wax the planes and make 'em look purty (required), and an annual meeting (optional). Social events are mostly limited to going to the Jet Room for lunch after waxing the planes, unfortunately. We have a board of directors consisting of a President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, and Maintenance Officer. As far as upgrades, we're hoping to sell one Archer and buy a Diamond Star, and do paint and interior on the other Archer. (The 182 has been upgraded about as much as we're gonna - 2001 interior, 2005 paint, Garmin 430W/340, MAC 1700 digital flip-flop #2 Nav/Com, S-TEC 50 2-axis autopilot... It doesn't get much better. Maybe an engine monitor someday...)

Hope this helps.

Quality maintenance, adequate pilot:aircraft ratio, experienced member-instructors (not time-building rookies), well-equipped aircraft suitable for my needs.
What questions should I ask a prospective club?
See above.
How can you tell a good from bad club?
Look at the rate of membership turnover and the curb appeal of the airplanes (appearance and equipment).

Back