Flying Clubs - MI

S

SJP

Didn't really see a better spot for this - so HT it is :)

Anyone know any decent Flying Clubs in MI, or good deal rentals ?

Fed up of driving over an hour to pay $85+ an hour.

I'm about 10 miles from PTK, so PTK, UIZ, D98, 7D2, 57D, Y47 are candidates.

The only close club I could find is down in DET, still the best part of an hours drive.

My buddy lucked out, Mooney 201C, $100 a month including 1 hour free, then $50 hour wet. No openings right now tho :(

SJP said:
Anyone know any decent Flying Clubs in MI, or good deal rentals ?

Fed up of driving over an hour to pay $85+ an hour.
Where do you fly now?
SJP said:
I'm about 10 miles from PTK, so PTK, UIZ, D98, 7D2, 57D, Y47 are candidates.

The only close club I could find is down in DET, still the best part of an hours drive.
7D2??? Where's that?

Maybe you should try VLL.

There are two clubs I know of out of Troy. Tops and Warren. They both have Flyers in the Terminal but I don't know the details.

Berz rents the 140 at $87 and the Archers at $99 not the cheepest in town but they are really great well maintained aircraft and all the people there are great to fly with. It's like a big family... http://www.berzflighttraining.com/

There are cheeper rentals at PTK but the planes are just not as nice, IMO.

Missa

Last edited:
Missa said:
Where do you fly now?

Generally I fly with my buddy in his Mooney out of PTK, haven't rented much since tiring of the drive up to Lapeer (D95).

7D2??? Where's that?

Maybe you should try VLL.

There are two clubs I know of out of Troy. Tops and Warren. They both have Flyers in the Terminal but I don't know the details.

7D2 is Oakland Troy (Troy Executive) - about a 20 min drive - I'll take a trip down and check out the flyers there.

EDIT : Well, it WAS Troy...when that change ? I have an old chart on the wall at work, I guess I'll have to check my current chart when I get home !!

Berz rents the 140 at $87 and the Archers at $99 not the cheepest in town but they are really great well maintained aircraft and all the people there are great to fly with. It's like a big family...

Thats a lot closer - I was renting a Warrior at $85, so $87 isn't that bad if it cuts down on the road trip to get there. That out at UIZ ?

There are cheeper rentals at PTK but the planes are just not as nice, IMO.

Missa

Used to rent a 152 at PTK for $50, was fun for keeping the skills in, but it was sold :(

Last edited by a moderator:
SJP said:
Generally I fly with my buddy in his Mooney out of PTK, haven't rented much since tiring of the drive up to Lapeer (D95).
I like Lapeer but only drive up there for the Citabra. However Since Barry put one at PTK at Drake avation... I've only been going to Lapeer by plane:blueplane:

SJP said:
7D2 is Oakland Troy (Troy Executive) - about a 20 min drive - I'll take a trip down and check out the flyers there.
Nope, check a current AFD... When the AWOS was installed the identifier was changed to VLL

SJP said:
Thats a lot closer - I was renting a Warrior at $85, so $87 isn't that bad if it cuts down on the road trip to get there. That out at UIZ ?).
No they are at Troy (VLL) in the building on the west end of the feild.

SJP said:
Used to rent a 152 at PTK for $50, was fun for keeping the skills in, but it was sold :(

A freind rents at Flight 100 on the north side of PTK... it's not $50 but it's close, but they aren't 1/2 the plane that Berz's are.

Missa

Missa said:
I like Lapeer but only drive up there for the Citabra. However Since Barry put one at PTK at Drake avation... I've only been going to Lapeer by plane:blueplane:

Barry did my checkride :) I've rented up there from him and been very happy with the plane and instruction - just a lot of cash when you add in the 70 mile round trip drive on top of the $85 an hour.

Nope, check a current AFD... When the AWOS was installed the identifier was changed to VLL

A freind rents at Flight 100 on the north side of PTK... it's not $50 but it's close, but they aren't 1/2 the plane that Berz's are.
Missa

I'll check them out - I only really want something I can go shoot some T&Gs and the odd $100 hamburger in when I feel like it, rather than on my buddy's schedule (although the Mooney is nice!!)

Barry did my checkride too... and some unusual attitude training which made me fall in love with the Citabra. He started my tailwheel endorsment but has another guy teaching out of the one at PTK... grumbe... I really need to call and go up in the citabra it's been over 2 months since I've been upside down in a plane.

I still think the Berz planes are the best and not a bad price for what you get... I don't want to fly in anything I don't trust and I trust the Berz planes.

Oh and there is a pancake breakfast at Troy on Saturday... at the "other" FBO on feild but there should be some members of Tops or Warren hanging out so you may want to come and make the walk/drive over to Berz and check them out too.

Melissa

Missa said:
Barry did my checkride too... and some unusual attitude training which made me fall in love with the Citabra. He started my tailwheel endorsment but has another guy teaching out of the one at PTK... grumbe... I really need to call and go up in the citabra it's been over 2 months since I've been upside down in a plane.

I still think the Berz planes are the best and not a bad price for what you get... I don't want to fly in anything I don't trust and I trust the Berz planes.

Oh and there is a pancake breakfast at Troy on Saturday... at the "other" FBO on feild but there should be some members of Tops or Warren hanging out so you may want to come and make the walk/drive over to Berz and check them out too.

Melissa

I'll talk to the wife, and maybe we'll pop in for breakfast then !

SJP said:
I'll talk to the wife, and maybe we'll pop in for breakfast then !

I should be walking around somewhere... and if the weather is good I've got 8086G at 11:00... not sure where I'm going, just going somewhere.

Missa

Steve, 1D2 is probably kinda far, but there are 4 or 5 clubs on the field. I know a month ago there were at least 3 memberships for sale in the Ford Eagles. They have a really nice 180 hp 172 with leather interrior and large Apollo moving map GPS. I think the base is $89/month, and the fee is tach time (generally less than hobbs) at about $48/hr. wet. They are looking for another plane, the other 172 was damaged/totalled by a member (she was fine, but I think was asked to leave as this was her second accident). There's also a club with a 182, one with a Cardinal...not sure of the rest.

For Saturday, if anyone's interested, there is the Blues Festival at KJXN.... (Putting up a post momentarily....).

T Bone said:
For Saturday, if anyone's interested, there is the Blues Festival at KJXN.... (Putting up a post momentarily....).

JXN isn't far enoght I have the plane till 6....

Well, I've got N89647 from noon Sat. to 1:00 Sunday. Not sure where else I'll go, but I will definitely be at Jackson in the afternoon. Sunday, was thinking maybe Colwater, OEB for pancakes.

T Bone said:
Steve, 1D2 is probably kinda far,

Almost as far as Lapeer, about 35 miles each way :(

but there are 4 or 5 clubs on the field. I know a month ago there were at least 3 memberships for sale in the Ford Eagles. They have a really nice 180 hp 172 with leather interrior and large Apollo moving map GPS. I think the base is $89/month, and the fee is tach time (generally less than hobbs) at about $48/hr. wet.

Price is nice, depending on how many share it and how much the buy in is.

They are looking for another plane, the other 172 was damaged/totalled by a member (she was fine, but I think was asked to leave as this was her second accident). There's also a club with a 182, one with a Cardinal...not sure of the rest.

Sounds like I need to trundle over to 1D2 too then ;)

SJP said:

EDIT : Well, it WAS Troy...when that change ? I have an old chart on the wall at work, I guess I'll have to check my current chart when I get home !!

Thats a lot closer - I was renting a Warrior at $85, so $87 isn't that bad if it cuts down on the road trip to get there. That out at UIZ ?

I believe Berz (UIZ) has been closed for some time now.

Jeannie

Maverick said:
I believe Berz (UIZ) has been closed for some time now.

Jeannie

Thats what I had thought, which made me wonder. They closed it last summer as I recall - was the closest to me - closer than PTK even. :(

SJP said:
Thats what I had thought, which made me wonder. They closed it last summer as I recall - was the closest to me - closer than PTK even. :(

Hey Steve. Actually, Berz closed the summer of 2003 and the developer is almost ready to start building houses. :(

I finished by flight training at Flight 101 over at PTK and was very pleased. The planes were well maintained and the prices were good too. A nice extra was getting non-owners insurance coverage as part of the per hour cost (at least that was the case about a year ago). There is no rental activity at 57D. The only way to fly is to buy. In fact, I'm forming an LLC with 4 other pilots to get my butt back in the air. We are starting out with a Cessna 150, but hope to move up in a couple years.

You moving to 985 in a couple weeks? If so, I'll see you there.

Greg

SJP said:

The instructors from Berz got together and moved the flight school operations to Troy when the airport closed so they could all stay togerther.

Missa

GregInMI said:
You moving to 985 in a couple weeks? If so, I'll see you there.

Greg

Ahh - that Greg - I need to talk to you about a project ;)

Nope - we're staying in 1075 for the forseeable - though some of the bosses are getting moved over to 985 as we speak.

The boy's truck just seized an engine, so looks like my flight-club/plane money just got spent :(

Back