Flying Club shares - Madison, WI

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
My club is running a special on shares through the end of February - Club shares are being sold, while they last, for $900 instead of the normal $1500. Or, if you put it like one person did upon joining the club a couple of years ago, you can buy three great IFR aircraft for $300 apiece!

Our dues are $180/month, but the first $50 worth of flying each month is included for free, so it comes to $130/month as long as you do at least $50 worth of flying in the month. In addition, we bill by tach time so that $50 and the rest of your flying dollars can go farther. Finally, our rates fluctuate automatically with fuel prices in both directions and cover only variable expenses and reserves with fixed expenses covered by the dues so that expenses are fairly distributed. In addition, we do save reserves for engine overhauls and upgrades.

Our fleet is all IFR GPS equipped aircraft with autopilots - An Archer, a 182, and a DA40. The Archer had its front seats recovered with sheepskins and new backs recently. The 182 has been in the club for about 10 years and in that time has had new interior, new panel with Garmin 430W, S-TEC 50 2-axis autopilot, and GPSS, new paint, and most recently new windows and interior plastics. It's also got a 1,213-pound useful load, and 747-pound payload with full fuel (over 6 hours).

The flagship is our 2006 Diamond DA40 - Picture in my signature. It's got a G1000 panel, XM weather datalink, 2-axis autopilot with altitude preselect, leather interior with extended baggage compartment, long range fuel, and the XLS canopy for extra headroom. It's a very fun airplane to fly too, with a great view out of the canopy, sporty yet forgiving handling, and it's reasonably quick at 140 KTAS.

We do some social events, some fly-outs, and it's easy to find a safety pilot or flying buddy. Despite living in Milwaukee, I make the 1.5-hr drive to Madison to fly with this club, as there's none like it in Milwaukee! I've been a member of the club for over eight years now, and I credit the club with making me a better pilot via making my instrument rating cheaper and allowing easy access to the airplanes for longer trips, which are excellent learning experiences.

Our airplanes are all hangared in a large hangar, and the 24x7 FBO on the field pulls them out, fuels them, and puts them away for you. You can even preflight in the hangar on cold winter days and then sit in the plane while they tow you out onto the ramp! Makes it easy to enjoy the benefits of winter flying. :goofy:

Edit: Forgot to mention, our insurance covers all members as named insured - No additional insurance necessary. :) There's also a previous post I made about the club with lots of pictures here.

If you or someone you know are interested, please PM me - I'd be happy to send you my phone number and chat as well. Web link is also in my signature.

Last edited:
If we had something like that around here, I might not be spending $350/mo just for insurance and hanger rent.

If we had something like that around here, I might not be spending $350/mo just for insurance and hanger rent.

I hear that kind of thing about our club a lot, and I've come to the conclusion that everyone just lives in the wrong place. ;)

C'mon up! Madison is consistently rated one of the best places to live...

I just want to add my 2 cents:

I own a hangar/plane a few yards away from these club planes. I walk by them often. They are well maintained, clean and also available. The FBO is easy to work with regarding fuel, tug service, etc.

Just drive up, pre-flight and fly!

I just want to add my 2 cents:

I own a hangar/plane a few yards away from these club planes. I walk by them often. They are well maintained, clean and also available. The FBO is easy to work with regarding fuel, tug service, etc.

Just drive up, pre-flight and fly!

Yep! Are you in the T's facing the big hangar? What do you fly?

I think we need a Wisconsin fly-out sometime soon, there's too many new and relatively local people on here I haven't met in person yet!

Yep! Are you in the T's facing the big hangar? What do you fly?

I think we need a Wisconsin fly-out sometime soon, there's too many new and relatively local people on here I haven't met in person yet!

I have a Bonanza on the Tee's adjacent to the Guard Unit.
We'll connect soon. PM sent with my cell #.

My club is running a special on shares through the end of February - Club shares are being sold, while they last, for $900 instead of the normal $1500. Or, if you put it like one person did upon joining the club a couple of years ago, you can buy three great IFR aircraft for $300 apiece!

Trying to inflate the club so they can afford a Mooney?:wink2:

Get a few more members, sell the DA40, buy a Mooney. Yep, sounds right to me. :)

Get a few more members, sell the DA40, buy a Mooney. Yep, sounds right to me. :)

Wouldn't sell the DA40... The next plane to go will be the Archer. What it gets replaced with has yet to be determined, but probably not a Mooney - That would only happen if we got another 10-12 members and bought another plane.

Looks like a great way to make flying affordable to more pilots. Good job. Maybe that will catch on all over, as all we have in this area are 172 rentals.

Looks like a great way to make flying affordable to more pilots. Good job. Maybe that will catch on all over, as all we have in this area are 172 rentals.

We sure hope so!

Heck, I wish there were a similar club in Milwaukee, so I wouldn't have to drive so far. That's going to be especially difficult after the Mooney sells, since I've gotten used to having an airplane 15 minutes from home!

I'm also hoping AOPA's recent focus on flying clubs gets more people to start clubs. It really is a great way to fly for a reasonable price.

We sure hope so!

Heck, I wish there were a similar club in Milwaukee, so I wouldn't have to drive so far. That's going to be especially difficult after the Mooney sells, since I've gotten used to having an airplane 15 minutes from home!

I'm also hoping AOPA's recent focus on flying clubs gets more people to start clubs. It really is a great way to fly for a reasonable price.
I hope so. I've looked there, and I worry that that website will just be yet another incomplete, useless listing of a fraction of the existing clubs, and nothing more.

Back