Flying breakfast

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Weather is going to be nice tomorrow, and not so nice for a while after that. Like probably until March. So i think im going to wake up at oh dark thirty and take the flybaby down to Sully to have breakfast

Airport is just a short walk across the street from town.

Last edited:
It's probably the last hurrah of summer. Sigh.
What time are you thinking?

It's probably the last hurrah of summer. Sigh.
What time are you thinking?

bruce i think that sunrise is 6:50 AM. its about 42 nautical so around a half hour in the flybaby depending on wind. Sully is only 2130 feet long, sorta short for the seneca, but approaches and departures are more or less clear, i think.

Tony if I lived closer I'd join you in an Ercoupe!

yum! i had a great omelet and a good flight down and back. about 70 knot groundspeeds there and 80 back. 1.5 hrs. got some pics but need to get to class...

here's a few pictures.

sunrise:

attachment.php

panel shot enroute:

attachment.php

tied down at sully:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC029222.JPG
    DSC029222.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC029202.JPG
    DSC029202.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC029212.JPG
    DSC029212.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 121
Awesome pics, Tony. Looks like a great flight!

Darn. Got the message too late, sunrise Bfast would have worked for me. 2000 unobstructed, LIGHT, would have worked for me. It's a great short field a/c when 1100 undergross.....

Oh well. See you on pilotcast....

Man! How do you get a climb rate like that! You ARE a better pilot than me!

Tony must have found one of those early am thermals :)

haha pete. or the VSI is just totally hosed...

Looks like...at 74 knots. :D

thats 74 mph! i had let go of the stick to take the picture. since the fuel was burned down a bit the CG had moved aft and so the airplane started to slow down. I was usually around 80 mph indicated while cruising.

Tony rocks? Hey, that's MY cute airplane! :wink2:h

Yeah, but HE's flying it to all sorts of cool places. :)

OK, you rock too, for letting him fly your cute airplane. Maybe you can teach my plane-owning-friends how to rock, too. :yes:

What does that turnbuckle that the watch is hanging on hold together?

the wings :)

actually...the turnbuckle is used to tighten the landing (top) wires. they carry no load in flight, which is why they need to be tightened. thats what the allen wrench is for

Turnbuckle is master wing wire turnbuckle for the top wires. Doesn't do much inflight. On the ground it keeps the wings from falling down.

I landed at Sully last Aug but didn't stop for food. In july and aug I logged over 50 hours in that thing and landed at about 30 different places, mostly airports, most distant being Racine, WI. I'm really glad Tony is flying her now as I'm busy with other stuff. I know it's being taken care of.

the wings :)

actually...the turnbuckle is used to tighten the landing (top) wires. they carry no load in flight, which is why they need to be tightened. thats what the allen wrench is for

Ok. Makes sense. Tighten the wires inflight? How often does that have to happen?

actually, never really.

only if the wings have just been installed. or if you changed the tires or something and had to take the slack out of the wires for whatever reason. you take out as much slack as you can on the ground but once in flight you can get more slack out, because the load of the wings is not on the top wires in flight

landed at about 30 different places, mostly airports, ...

You crazy glider guys. Just land wherever the heck you want. And you're even worse, you're a glider AND cropduster guy. There is no hope for you.

You crazy glider guys. Just land wherever the heck you want. And you're even worse, you're a glider AND cropduster guy. There is no hope for you.

I love watching Sky King and seeing them land the 310 out wherever they feel like it, especially considering that I remember reading about how 310s have landing gear that is not very happy with that kind of flying/landing.

But Chris is right, there's no hope for you guys. ;)

I love watching Sky King and seeing them land the 310 out wherever they feel like it, especially considering that I remember reading about how 310s have landing gear that is not very happy with that kind of flying/landing.

I would like to see some episodes where he flies the Bobcat/T50/Bamboo Bomber.

I would like to see some episodes where he flies the Bobcat/T50/Bamboo Bomber.

Plenty of those on the link Troy provided, which is where I watch them. :)

I love that, 50 years later, the 310s (and occasional V-tails) still looks sleek.

Heck I aint no cropduster guy. Just a wannabe and maybe not even that.

With the Fly Baby I'm a FLEAduster guy!. Seriously, you can fly around all day at treetop level and no one will bat an eye. They just assume it's some cropduster screwing around. Not that I do that but there are a couple well scouted and legal low-level runs. Nothing like the aerotreking maniacs that I've read about...

Back