flying around the world solo

rigga1995

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jaiden
Hi everyone IM new here.I've always wanted to fly around the globe and will be in 5 years hopefully. What would you say is a suitable plane with good range.If not can anyone recommend a single prop under $80.000.Also can I navigate the globe on a ppl with the proper endorsements.Cheers.
IM from Australia and I would like to come back Alive.

The airplane is the least of your worries. Logistics of fuel, permits, security, etc are even more important.

The airplane is the least of your worries. Logistics of fuel, permits, security, etc are even more important.

lol, dude you missed one... how about the PIC, that's going to be the life or death factor.... time at the start of the journey, instrument? IMC time? icing experience? x-country time??

I could recommend a few planes that could do this, but what's your background as a pilot and proposed routing for this journey?

Thanks
I realise I'll need visas and permits and fuel etc.
But at the moment IM looking for a plane as that will need ferry tanks probably autopilot
And a few other necessities.

IM only a new pilot I have 750 hours in multi engines and single prop combined.
I was thinking of heading eastbound but and not quite sure were to stop yet.it will all depend on the time I go.

And just saying I am not going for a few years IM just enquiring.

Personally I'd want a turbine, but on a budget a Comanche or 210 would work.

As others have pointed out, the logistics are a much bigger piece to work out.

If you want to start looking for a plane while you are doing the research, I'd recommend a Twin Comanche.

Hi everyone IM new here.I've always wanted to fly around the globe and will be in 5 years hopefully. What would you say is a suitable plane with good range.If not can anyone recommend a single prop under $80.000.Also can I navigate the globe on a ppl with the proper endorsements.Cheers.

Hi Jaiden,

I ferry planes globally for a living. For a single engine piston I would recommend a Cessna 206 or a Cessna 210. It will give you good performance when you have a ferry tank installed and is nice and roomy.

Also if you don't have your instrument rating yet I would highly recommend you get it prior to departure.

There are companies you can hire as your "ground crew" that can handle all of those details. IFR rating is a almost a must.

I say go for it mate! You only live once.

Last edited:
Thanks I like the twin engine you posted.
The Twin Comanche is a proven round the world airplane. Several people have done round the world flights in them, including round the works air races. You should have no problem finding a good one under $80k. They are fast and efficient ~165 kts at 15.5 gph total fur both engines. With tip tanks (120 gallons) range is at least 1200 nm and the round the world fliers usually add another 140 gallons or so with ferry tanks.

One of the experimentals at Oshkosh had gone around the world a couple times. Everyone will recommend their favorite aircraft, I suspect the actual airplane is far less important than the underlying preparations, as the hive mind has indicated. Good luck, like the man said, you only live once! Don't forget to post up about your adventures.

There is a guy named Calle Hedberg that is doing that right now in an Experimental Ravin 500, which is basically a Comanche Clone.

He's got picture,video and posts on his Facebook Page here: https://www.facebook.com/calle.hedberg.1?fref=ts

8 months, about 50,000 miles and he's in St. Croix right now. Check it out!

Two ct Lsas did the flight with ferry tanks ,it's all in the prep and paperwork.

I have ferried mostly Mooneys and found them safe and reliable for long distance flights. You want a highly reliable, fuel efficient and safe airplane for the mission. Non turbo Mooney would be my choice, specially the M20J or M20R models. I prefer low wing because they are easier to exit if you need to ditch.

You will need to have HF onboard for the overwater flights. Myself and most ferry pilots use the Icom 706 that works very well.

For navigation GPS is a must. Garmin panel mounted GPS such as the GNS 530 W have global database capability which is really nice. For airport data choose Acu Kwik instead of AOPA. Acu Kwik provides details of the FBOs all over the world.

You will need to be IFR rated since on most cases you will be filing an IFR plan.

Very important that you become familiar with the winds in the area. 50 kts headwind are not uncommon in many areas of the world.

Check this website http://www.earthrounders.com/cgi/archive/garratt/ for a trip around the world

May the winds be on your tail.

José

Attachments

• Mooney on Water.jpg
    Mooney on Water.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Icom 706 in Plane.jpg
    Icom 706 in Plane.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 706 in panel.JPG
    706 in panel.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 20
Thanks to everyone who answered me I really appreciate it.

I may stand corrected on this but I think two brothers, ( not a solo) did it in a tri pacer just after they graduated from Yale univ. I think it was the 50's. I think their last name was Blue. I recall piper provided the airplane maybe. I would think mooney would be a good choice.

I may stand corrected on this but I think two brothers, ( not a solo) did it in a tri pacer just after they graduated from Yale univ. I think it was the 50's. I think their last name was Blue. I recall piper provided the airplane maybe. I would think mooney would be a good choice.

Can't find anything that seems to match that on this chronological listing of all known round the world flights:
http://www.earthrounders.com/cgi/chrono.php

Bonanza seems to be a popular choice of aircraft.

I found it. The blue brothers flew the equivalent , 22000 miles from the states all thru South America. One later went on to be in management with Lear jet. Google blue brothers tri pacer around the world.

Several RV's have made the trip around the world.

I met the pilot that did it in a Pipestrel motor glider, twice.

A PA-12 made the journey around the world. The plane is on display at the Piper museum in Lock Haven, PA.

Attachments

• 295PA-12 Around the World.jpg
    295PA-12 Around the World.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 296PA-12 Around the World.jpg
    296PA-12 Around the World.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 3

If I was going to do it solo in a single, I would use a Lancair360 airframe with an SMA Diesel and turn the entire wings into big wet cells and put a large racing fuel cell in the fuselage. One of the big problems with a circumnavigation is fuel logistics down the Kamchatka Peninsula and China (100LL gasoline is not readily available but can be arranged for lots of money and hit or miss on schedule) if you go across the Bering Sea route or the 2150 nm leg between California and Hawaii on the Central/South Pacific route. Problem is I don't think you can do the plane with that engine for $80k, you can however buy one with an IO-360 in that price range and with 150 gallons of tankage or better make the South Pacific route.

BTW, I used to fly out of Moorabin and Lilydale in Vic.

Last edited:
.I've always wanted to fly around the globe

IM not a pro with planes.

Dude....

Dodo.jpg

Back