Flying a warbird in Dallas

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Just got a postcard in the mail; Cavanaugh Flight Museum has started offering dual instruction in their Stearman ($595/hr) and their T-6 Texan ($695/hr)... they offer complex, high performance and tail wheel endorsements in the T-6. Or, you can use the experience as a unique way to get your Flight Review (aka "BFR").

For more info, contact Chuck Gardner at cgardner @ cavflight.org or 972-467-7402.

Posting it on POA so I can find it later after I throw away this postcard!

Insurance for my 195 would triple for Dual Only coverage. I am not sure about the 100 hour thing. In the back of my mind, I seem to recall a 100 hour isn't necessary for instruction, but the caveat is that I could be wrong.:D

$595 per hour for a Stearman is way too much. It should be about $300 per hour with the instructor.

$595 per hour for a Stearman is way too much. It should be about $300 per hour with the instructor.

I don't doubt you at all. What you may not understand is that the folks at Addison have more money than practicality sometimes.:D

Just got a postcard in the mail; Cavanaugh Flight Museum has started offering dual instruction in their Stearman ($595/hr) and their T-6 Texan ($695/hr)... they offer complex, high performance and tail wheel endorsements in the T-6. Or, you can use the experience as a unique way to get your Flight Review (aka "BFR").

For more info, contact Chuck Gardner at cgardner @ cavflight.org or 972-467-7402.

Posting it on POA so I can find it later after I throw away this postcard!

Troy,

My birthday is coming up in May. An hour in that T-6 would be a great birthday present!:lol:

There is a cold war air museum at KLNC. They might give dual in their birds. They do fly them and love volunteers to help work on them. No clue about cost though.

You used to be able to rent an F4U Corsair in Dallas for less than that... :eek:

You used to be able to rent an F4U Corsair in Dallas for less than that... :eek:

And what year was that????

F4Us sell for about a million these days. Stearmans and T-6's are still pretty dang cheap (80-150k)

And what year was that????

F4Us sell for about a million these days. Stearmans and T-6's are still pretty dang cheap (80-150k)

IIRC they shut down sometime in the mid 70s. I wasn't around for it but a guy I worked for did a bunch of maint for him back then and had some of their papers and such including a price sheet. There was a nice list of planes and they were all pretty cheap to fly. That was back in the days though when there were still a bunch of old ramp queen warbirds and such in the hands of the guys who were offered to take home their plane after the war (my great uncle took home his P-51D for a ridiculously low figure, I forget, either $500 or $1500) and you could still buy many of them govt surplus until after Vietnam even.

Insurance for my 195 would triple for Dual Only coverage. I am not sure about the 100 hour thing. In the back of my mind, I seem to recall a 100 hour isn't necessary for instruction, but the caveat is that I could be wrong.:D

91.409 Can't give flight instruction in an airplane that the instructor provides unless it has 100 hour inspection.

Back