Flying a twin with no engines!

I got to watch Bob Hoover do his gig in the Shrike at an airshow at Hensley Field (NAS Dallas) when I was teenaged punk. That, along with the Blue Angels in Phantoms, was enough to light me right up.

darn i thought you were talking about this. Taken from a P-38 Lightning, with engines off and propellers feathered, climbing in the sierra nevada wave at sometimes over 3000 fpm! I think that photos exist of the P-38 flying with engines off, but was unable to find one on the web, ill keep searching

Attachments

• soaring_at_iyk_1s.jpg
    soaring_at_iyk_1s.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 51
Just briefly searched through Exploring the Monster, a must read by the way, and couldnt find a picture. Maybe Matt knows where it can be found.

That boy knows how to fly.
Thanks, it's always great to see that classic again, especially the water pouring. The musical score to that routine and the one done in his Mustang (Flight of The Merlins?) are well worth seeking out.

I was lucky to see his last Oshkosh performance, and now I can go see his Shrike anytime I want. I can even touch it if I clean it afterwards.

When Hoover appeared at an airshow in Hammond, LA many years ago I, along with about a dozen local pilots got to push Ol' Yeller from the hangar thru the crowd line to the runway where he could crank safely. He later did the Shrike routine rising over the trees off the ends of the runway with props turning and not turning.

I've been fortunate to see and speak to him at several venues over the years. His kind will not soon be replaced.

A class act in the air and on the ground.

Back