flying a single engine piston in/out of ATL

coma24

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
coma24
Arrival: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9o1S5V9Qc

Departure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghkY1PPGnhM

Background: This was a couple of years ago. Had some business in Atlanta right next to ATL. After learning how affordable the landing/ramp fees were, I decided to fly there instead of a satellite airport. This was pre-IPad. I arrived at my fuel stop with the intention of picking up the required charts, terminal pubs, etc. The pilot shop was out of everything I needed, though...kinda painful.

So, I looked up the expected route on the phone and downloaded what I thought I'd need. It was screaming VMC so I assumed visuals were in use. I grabbed the STAR that was shown in the expected clearance and off I went.

It was marginally exciting because the overlying approach controller was having massive transmitter issues. I had departed VFR but couldn't establish comms with him to pick up the clearance, so I climbed higher and tried the local center frequency, which is where the video begins.

In hindsight, the one thing I'd change is not bothering to tell the approach controller what speeds I can do to help him out, same with tower. If I'm already going relatively fast, then he can probably tell that I can go fast. And if he needs me to go fast on final, that'll be his job.

Kinda comical how many calls go by between my initial call and the radar contact...the video is edited to bring that to light, showing just the first few words of each of the other pilots' transmissions.

The departure was uneventful, other than the fact that I call for clearance early in the morning, yet the taxi happens about 5 hours later. That was all courtesy of a failed starter. Had to drive to Aircraft Spruce with the crew car, pick up a new one and have it swapped out on the ramp.

Hey, Keith its good to see you posting. I've always liked your videos. Even better now that they are on Youtube. I remember that old softwear I had to download to watch them. This is much easier. Good stuff.

Thank you for posting. KATL is on my aviation bucket list.

Adam, yeah, I had settled on divx for my web site back in the days where YT was only serving up 240p video with horrible bitrates. At some point, I would like to go back and upload all of the videos to YT and embed them on the site. I'm nearly at the point where I'm going to have time to catch up on 3 years or so worth of flights for the site :)

The departure was fun, btw...that is an F/A-18 in front of me on the ramp. The pilot arrived the night before and missed the curfew at the base by a few mins, so he diverted to ATL.

Haven't been back to Blackstone, VA since then, but they had some great gas prices at the time. They sell 100LL in such low volumes, it took them a while to clear out their tank when the prices were going up.

Tower operating hours are funky: MON-FRI 1200-2030Z.

Oh, and the line of departures out of ATL was fun, too...have never seen so many RJ's in a row.

Thank you for posting. Your video was a good learning experience. I enjoyed the video, but have little desire to fly into ATL in our C-150 :).

Hey KS, those are my fav GA videos on youtube so far, always stalking you secretly. I might have to fly and visit you in NJ this summer that plane looks amazing! Tom never seems to let go of the time he was your co pilot.

Keep em coming

NM

Back