Flying a French-reg airplane in the USA?

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
A friend of mine wishes to take his F-reg Mudry CAP 21 to the USA, for a while, and fly it there.

1) Are there any TSA requirements e.g. does he have to get a permission for each flight? I vaguely recall reading about this, but it may have been concerning jets.

2) Are there any companies in the USA which can maintain to EASA Part M?

Many thanks for any input.

1) Are there any TSA requirements e.g. does he have to get a permission for each flight? I vaguely recall reading about this, but it may have been concerning jets.

It is divided into aircraft with more or less than 100k MTOW but I believe it applies to both to some extent:

This would be the person to ask:

International Waivers Operations Team Lead
Linda Robey
Linda.Robey@dhs.gov
571-227-2281

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/tsnm/general_aviation/programs_aw.shtm

2) Are there any companies in the USA which can maintain to EASA Part M?
Why don't you check with Socata in Pemrooke Pines ;)

Is a CAP21 made by Socata?

Anyway, Socata USA are under strict orders to not support non-US customers :)

Is a CAP21 made by Socata?

Anyway, Socata USA are under strict orders to not support non-US customers :)

I don't believe it is. They just came to mind as a place to ask regarding a shop that may have the EASA paperwork. Consider asking Avex, the west-coast distributor.

How long of a time period are we talking about? Clearly it's a long trip across the North Atlantic and back, especially in a little single. A great adventure for sure, though. If it's not too long of a period, you probably won't need a ton of maintenance (provided the plane starts out in good condition).

No idea about requirements for F-registered aircraft. As far as maintenance goes, the engine and prop you'll have no issue getting support on. I don't know about the EASA standards, but most mechanics over here don't have problems working on a Lycoming. I'd just have any work done that was needed.

Last edited:
Can't blame 'em for considering it - the average cost of anything here, when converted to Euros, is about... a pa ck of gum.

Car? Pack of gum.

House? Big pack of gum.

Airplane? Pack of gum, plus some crackers.

Back