Flying a Disabled Passenger

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I have a friend who is now in a wheelchair. She can stand briefly, but not for long. I would like to ask those of you who have experience with flying disabled passengers for your tips. The most accessible plan I fly, which makes good time, is the Skylane.

Thanks!

Besides the entry, exit and comfort challenges, don't forget to consider what happens in case of an emergency situation. A speedy exit may not be an option, so make sure you discuss the possibility and everyone is comfortable with whatever plan you put together for this contingency.

If she's a para/quadrapalegic you'll probably need some way to make sure her legs don't move and interfere with the rudder pedals. If this can't be done, she may need to fly in the backseat. A five-point harness can also be helpful to prevent slipping. But since you said she can stand briefly these may not be problems for her.

Other than that, make sure the seat is all the way back and roll her chair up to the plane- preferably next to a curb or other elevated surface.

Besides the entry, exit and comfort challenges, don't forget to consider what happens in case of an emergency situation. A speedy exit may not be an option, so make sure you discuss the possibility and everyone is comfortable with whatever plan you put together for this contingency.
+1 :yes:

A small stool may be helpful for getting in and out of the airplane.

I just pick them up and put them in the plane or boat, but then most the people in wheelchairs I deal with are light enough and are used to being 'handled'. From there they typically take care of themselves. Should be easy enough in a Skylane.

A small stool may be helpful for getting in and out of the airplane.

+1 despite the step on the gear legs, getting into a Cessna is a little awkward for many people, more so for someone with mobility issues, a simple 1 or 2 step plastic stool from Home Depot would make it easier and you can always use one around the house or hangar if you don't already have one. :D

I frequently fly a C172 with a passenger in a wheelchair. As long as I hold her foot on the step on the strut and hold her ankle steady she can pull herself into the plane. I take the wheels off the chair and place the chair in the back seat and the wheels in the cargo bay.

Back