Flying a CAT II ILS to minimums . . . in a Skyhawk

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Today's currency flight was tough, but fun. Went up with my CFI-IA for approach practice. On the last approach we decided to try something to help improve both skill and confidence.

Beautiful CAVU, VFR, with me under the hood (of course). I flew under the hood to 100' AGL. (Not an actual CAT II, but just us lowering the DH.) The understanding was if things deviated moderately by the published DH, we'd go around and try it again; and if things deviated moderately as we got below the DH to our "CAT II" DH, he would take the controls.

What an amazing experience.

Funny thing was, waaaaay out when I was first tracking the loc and GS, I had trouble keeping things centered, but once I knew we were really doing this, and had descended to below DH, I did much better (where it should have been really squirrely).

This is a concept I teach in my music lessons--practice to beyond what is required; then what is -actually- required doesn't seem so hard.

Great experience, and very enjoyable, too!

...and then use your superior judgement to not have to use that superior skill.

It is rumored that Adolph Herseth's contract with the CSO required that they give ONE YEAR's Notice if they wanted him to perform the Brandenburg Concerti. Now that is called, "judgement".

Last edited:
...and then us your superior judgement to not have to use that superior skill.

It is rumored that Adolph Herseth's contract with the CSO required that they give ONE YEAR's Notice if they wanted him to perform the Brandenburg Concerti. Now that is called, "judgement".

Wow, Bruce! I didn't know that! I am amazed that an orchestral player (albeit a principal/soloist) could have that much power!

And yes, agree with the superior judgment point, too!

Back