Flying a Backcourse - CDI

The LOC-DME approach at ASE flies outbound on a back course (albeit a different one than the LOC the approach is based on). Flying outbound on a BC does not yield reverse sensing. The TYQ approach mentioned earlier flies outbound on the front course and that indeed has reverse sensing.
Mercifully, the TYQ approach only requires you to center the needle and fly a parallel hold entry. The hold itself is inbound on the front course of the localizer, so your reverse-sensing days are brief.

Mercifully, the TYQ approach only requires you to center the needle and fly a parallel hold entry. The hold itself is inbound on the front course of the localizer, so your reverse-sensing days are brief.

Yeah, but its got its quirks. When I turn back to the intercept course to intercept the localizer to fly outbound to the hold, I often notice a false indication as I am trying to intercept when my needle will swing from one side all the way to the other before I really do intercept it. If you react to it, you will never intercept the localizer. Also, when you do the turn back in, you are pretty close and the needle is very sensitive, which just adds to the fun.

It's times like that I'm happy for the moving map.

Back