Flyin' and Drivin' at Sun & Fun?

Jason S

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jason Shields
We plan to fly into Lakeland tomorrow for Sun n' Fun... All of us first-timers.

Anyone got advice on ground transportation? We have a car rented, but are trying to figure out if Uber saves all the parking hassles...

Hotel is in Seffner, 20 miles west - So a 25 minute/$30-ish dollar Uber ride away.

Is traffic & parking a nightmare and expensive? Or is it way better than waiting hours for an Uber when everyone wants to leave at the same time?

I know the answer at Oshkosh - Curious what the veteran Sun n' Fun folks have to say...

Thanks!

I've driven in many times in years past...never really an issue.
Yes traffic can be bad in the rush times, but you'd be siting in it either way. They have always had it dialed in pretty well in my experience.

Don't know about this year...sadly. too busy ay work.... I had loosely planned to drive my RV down tomorrow and "camp", but no luck.

have fun!

I wouldn’t count on a 25 minute drive in the morning rush. If you get into traffic, that $30 fare will be a memory

You can get an Uber if you can get the internet. I played that game a couple years ago.....

Just back from Sun n Fun, so to answer my own question... Rent a car. Lakeland is in the middle of nowhere, the cell coverage is horrible and Uber drivers couldn't care less about servicing that area. Good thing we had some local Florida folks that could help with ground transportation.

But otherwise a great time, with weather that cooperated - A grand adventure with like-minded airplane nuts!

Traffic on Saturday was worse than I have ever seen. Arrived at 1230, line of cars waiting to park was out to County Line Road, about 2 miles long. Barely moving. Waited at least an hour, then parked in the overflow to the overflow to the overflow lot, and walked maybe another mile or two.

Hope those that flew in were able to clear the nasty weather across the peninsula. It blew over last night and made a mess.

Still a great event, and the weather cooperated to allow most of the airshow acts, minus the high altitude portion of the Blues.

Back