Fly through rain/snow mix?

Just curious, what was your best out if you found that you did pick up significant ice? MEA at 13K still freezing?
Freezing level was as I recall about 10,000', MOCA 9900'. About the time I got the engine running again I asked center how low could you clear me here? He said where I was he could let me down to ten thousand, right about then the clouds seemed to be opening up a little above and ahead so I elected to stay at 15k for now. Admittedly not a very good option but prob'ly the best I had. At that point I was about 45 miles west of FCA as I recall. Earlier in the flight the best option would have been return to Spokane.

Freezing level was as I recall about 10,000', MOCA 9900'. About the time I got the engine running again I asked center how low could you clear me here? He said where I was he could let me down to ten thousand, right about then the clouds seemed to be opening up a little above and ahead so I elected to stay at 15k for now. Admittedly not a very good option but prob'ly the best I had. At that point I was about 45 miles west of FCA as I recall. Earlier in the flight the best option would have been return to Spokane.

How would that work in practice? That is if you had to get down to 10K, would you lose coms? My home base is near Kalispell and it seems that in some areas, 10K isn't high enough. Do they let you down and it is ok if you lose them for a while?

How would that work in practice? That is if you had to get down to 10K, would you lose coms? My home base is near Kalispell and it seems that in some areas, 10K isn't high enough. Do they let you down and it is ok if you lose them for a while?
45 miles west of Kalispell on (or about) V448 I'm suspect you'd still have comm and even radar service at 10,000'. Actually you'll note that now V448 has not only the 13,000' MEA but also a "G" MEA of 10,000'. Maybe center has a remote comm up in the mountains somewhere I dunno'? The thirteen thousand foot MEA is apparently for VOR reception.

Back