Fly into Midway

You have one, too? I don't have the pictures on this laptop, but the only one I've seen is a bit far from Chicago, as in Haifa, Israel. :D

We have THE Bahai Temple for North America in Winnetka, a near north shore suburb of Chicago. It makes for a great waypoint on the lake shore.

I have never been in it but it is easy to see from the air when one flies the lake shore. I have been in the 'lotus' shaped one in New Dehli. After seeing the Taj Mahal the temple was a bit of a let down.

It's in Wilmette.

Formerly of Winnetka......

Yeah. Corrected. All of those haughty northshore burbs run together for a city kid. (I should know better. I did a lot of work in both towns.)

It's in Wilmette.

Formerly of Winnetka......

Any idea what the origin of the name Wilmette is? My dad's great uncle had that as his middle name. Ghery Wilmette Collins. And if you can figure out where his parents got that spelling of Ghery, there are three of us who would love to know. :yes:

Any idea what the origin of the name Wilmette is? My dad's great uncle had that as his middle name. Ghery Wilmette Collins. And if you can figure out where his parents got that spelling of Ghery, there are three of us who would love to know. :yes:

From the history of Willmette
The Ouilmette family lived in a log cabin near the present site of the Michigan Shores Club until 1838 when Antoine and Archange moved west to Iowa with the Pottawatomies.

and
Wilmette's road to incorporation began in 1869 when a group of five men formed a land syndicate to promote residential development on the former Ouilmette Reservation. John G. Westerfield, the Village's first president and the man who had originally farmed the land around the old Ouilmette cabin, laid out streets and lots between 15th Street, 8th Street, Elmwood Avenue, and Oakwood Avenue in his first survey of the Village. The group settled on the name "Wilmette Village," anglicizing the name of the pioneer settler "Ouilmette."

so who where the Ouilmette's?

Among the first residents of Chicago was a French Canadian fur trader named Antoine Ouilmette. His wife, Archange Chevallier, was the daughter of a French trader and a Pottawatomie woman. In 1829, Antoine possibly helped negotiate between the United States and the Chippewa, Ottawa and Pottawatomie tribes in the adoption of the Treaty of Prairie du Chien, which gave the United States title to huge areas of land from Lake Michigan west to the Rock River.
http://www.wilmette.com/whpc/historyofwilmette.htm

Scott,

Thanks. I'll have to copy that into my geneology software when I have time this weekend. Most informative.

Back