Fly into Midway

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, this Saturday I'm flying into probably the biggest airport I've ever done. Midway Int'l in Chicago. My local EAA chapter has set up a tour of the tower for us!

I have two questions:
1) Does anyone have any questions they want answered by the tower controllers? (Note that this is not Chicago Approach!) Anything about the Southwest accident earlier this year?

2) How should I go in there, given that Chicago Approach doesn't generally "hear" piston GA aircraft? Should I file IFR (though the weather is VFR and I'm only flying about 20nm); call up approach as soon as I get the ATIS and specify on initial contact "landing Midway with (ATIS ID)", or just make a normal callup giving type & tail number (they understandably want it very short) and wait to be ignored:dunno:?

Last edited:
It's been 5 years since I flew into Midway. Midway is busier now. But flying in there was not bad. They have parellel runways. Itenerate VFR traffic is often given the shorter parellel if traffic is busy.
The ramp fee was $30 when we went in there, if I recall.
I would go in VFR if the weather is good. Monitor ATIS, call Midway "radar" on 119.45 if the ATIS says to. Otherwise, just call the tower on tower freq.
Obviously stay out of the Bravo and get in radio contact before entering Charlie airspace.
Enjoy!
ApacheBob

ApacheBob said:
It's been 5 years since I flew into Midway. Midway is busier now. But flying in there was not bad. They have parellel runways. Itenerate VFR traffic is often given the shorter parellel if traffic is busy.
The ramp fee was $30 when we went in there, if I recall.
I would go in VFR if the weather is good. Monitor ATIS, call Midway "radar" on 119.45 if the ATIS says to. Otherwise, just call the tower on tower freq.
Obviously stay out of the Bravo and get in radio contact before entering Charlie airspace.
Enjoy!
ApacheBob
$30 is what I was told for Atlantic, but closer to $100 for Millionaire. Winds are expected from the S/SW, so I would expect 22L/R as the active. If it were 13, I know I'd get 13R, at about 3900'. With 22, I expect 22R at 5500'. Makes it a little more complicated to get to Atlantic, but not too bad.

Grant: I'm sure you've done class C before, right? Forget the fact that there's a big B next door (just stay out of their space!) and go in like you already have done. (right?)

I'm pretty sure Midway Approach hasn't been consolidated into Chicago Approach yet, so no worries with being ignored. Ask Mike Dreger who I believe works in the Midway TRACON... I'm sure he'll pop into this thread soon.

Have the airport diagram out and ready before you land.

I assume Leslie will be along too. This is a time for Crew Resource Management.

Don't forget your camera and your Go Fly America sign.

Have fun! :yes:

flyingcheesehead said:
Grant: I'm sure you've done class C before, right? Forget the fact that there's a big B next door (just stay out of their space!) and go in like you already have done. (right?)

I'm pretty sure Midway Approach hasn't been consolidated into Chicago Approach yet, so no worries with being ignored. Ask Mike Dreger who I believe works in the Midway TRACON... I'm sure he'll pop into this thread soon.
For some reason I was thinking that Chicago approach covered BOTH airports, but reviewing the sectional I do see specifically Midway approach on 119.45. Yes, I've flown into Class C before; no real mysteries there. It's only the proximity to Class B and my misunderstanding that they shared an approach control (that wouldn't acknowledge me) that caused any anxiety.
flyingcheesehead said:
Have the airport diagram out and ready before you land.

I assume Leslie will be along too. This is a time for Crew Resource Management.
Of course, I've both looked at the airport diagram and reviewed the satellite photo's.

And no, this will be solo. Leslie will be on her instrument checkride! :yes:

flyingcheesehead said:
Don't forget your camera and your Go Fly America sign.

Have fun! :yes:
I've already "targeted" it on the site!

I think you will also find that if you are going in VFR even though you will contact Midway approach you will be handed over to 188.4, Midway tower, when you check in. The tower will provide your services up to and including landing.

Don't forget your camera and GoFlyAmerica sign!!

I was at KMDW for about 3 hours a couple days ago. I've been there a number of times and what surprised me this time was that here it was the afternoon before Thanksgiving and for a large portion of the the time we were the only airplane on the ramp at Million Air. What's up with that? I expected mayhem. We were IFR and it seems like we got the ILS to one of the 31s, circle to 22L, but I'm not sure what ATC does with smaller airplanes. I've only been there in go-faster airplanes.

Everskyward said:
I was at KMDW for about 3 hours a couple days ago. I've been there a number of times and what surprised me this time was that here it was the afternoon before Thanksgiving and for a large portion of the the time we were the only airplane on the ramp at Million Air. What's up with that? I expected mayhem. We were IFR and it seems like we got the ILS to one of the 31s, circle to 22L, but I'm not sure what ATC does with smaller airplanes. I've only been there in go-faster airplanes.
You haven't heardf? Duh Mare don't want yer kind in Chicago. :rolleyes:

Grant, ask MDW approach about calling up for VFR flight following along the lakefront. Where they want to to report, north and south, and what freq we we should be on. Maybe we can ask for a secret code word so they know we've been briefed.

Three weeks ago I flew into MDW for the first time in at least 15 years. I was IFR at night, but it was pretty much a non event. I did get asked if I could maintain my cruising speed (180 Kt) on the approach, but when I said it would have to be at or below 150 Kt in order to put the gear down that was OK. I used Atlantic and their service was great. The also waived the rather high ramp fee (if you top or buy 15 gallons whichever comes first).

Whether VFR or IFR, you definitely want to get the ATIS before calling approach and let them know you have it when you call. For that short a trip, I'd think VFR would be the preferred way to go weather permitting. Approach had me on an ILS for one of the larger runways but sidesteped me to the smaller GA one when I was still a couple miles out. And a taxi diagram is important to have.

mikea said:
You haven't heardf? Duh Mare don't want yer kind in Chicago. :rolleyes:
Guess it scares him when we launch off the runways (the 4s) that are pointed right at downtown. :dunno: :rolleyes:

We're not wanted in a lot of places but that doesn't stop us...

Correction. Our money is wanted in a lot of places, but that's about all.

Last edited:
ive had a lot of friends from out here fly into midway VFR with no problems. Im not sure how they went about it but i would assume it is just like any other Class C. call approach, get handed off to tower, make a pretty landing.

I've been into MDW 2-3 times in the past few years. Once right-seat IFR we were assigned ILS to XX-R and at the last moment, we were switched over to XX-L so the 737 behind us could use the big rwy. The other times, I was PIC on VFR flight. Same as any other 'C' airspace - know where you are and what you want before you call up approach, after that it's just headings and altitudes until you're on the ground. I actually asked for progressive taxi the first time in and they weren't too ticked to provide it.

Actually, the first time I flew in with a non-pilot pax, I was so worried about getting radio calls done 'fast' enough for the big guys that Chicago App actually had to say "Aircraft calling approach, you were talking to fast for me to understand you". At that point I realized, "Huh.. So these are normal humans working approach just like anywhere else."

Flew out of Midway around 11:30-12 one night and they actually had one guy working Clrnc, Gnd, and Twr at one time. I didn't realize that place got slow enough for that to happen. In fact, he was working hard to get hooked up with one of the female pilots coming in on a Southwest 737 flight. ha!

-Chris

Grant --

News from Leslie??????????????????????

Elizabeth

EHITCH said:
Grant --

News from Leslie??????????????????????

Elizabeth
It's 5:00 p.m. the girl's exhausted. If she passed or if she got pinked she'll tell us in due time.

Bruce :)
(fingers crossed).

I saw your claim of MDW for the challenge. Very nice write up, Grant!

SkyHog said:
I saw your claim of MDW for the challenge. Very nice write up, Grant!
Nick, I will bring a Camera with me to ORD tomorrow....Bruce

Okay Bruce, Leslie got a discontinuance, so she neither passed nor got pink slipped, because the DE wasn't feeling well. And Leslie STILL doesn't think she did a good job! :dunno: She's her own toughest critic!

She also says she does not like the evil controlleds at DPA. They kept giving her weird vectors! She's considering signing up with the FAA just so she can be on their A$$es for the rest of their natural (and unnatural) lives! :D:D:D [This message has been paid for and approved by Leslie Prellwitz for FAA.] :yes::hairraise: They kept giving her illogical vectors and changing her missed procedures and generally messing with her.

She still need to go back and finish the unusual attitudes, partial panel, and either one or two non-precision.

As far as Midway goes, I got in without problem and have officially claimed it. Now someone has to claim ORD, because I can't afford the fees there! :goofy:

I was initially vectored for right traffic for 4R (which didn't make a lot of sense to me, coming from the West), then taken over the top of the field for right traffic for 22R. Not my prettiest landing, but nothing I'm too ashamed of! :frog:

Mike, we talked a little about coming in from the lakefront. Basically, the controller who sponsored the tour said that we should make contact and let them know what ATIS we have and they'd vector us across the airspace on a capacity-available basis. He said that how you get vectored across (290, 55, across the top, 6NM south, etc.) will depend on the current traffic conditions at MDW and ORD, as well as the personnal predililctions of the controller.

When we got there, they had two (or at times three) controllers working all positions at MDW, with another two or three on break/standby. Conceivably, there can be up to six active, though it seems as if there are infrequently more than three or four. If you want to do approaches there, the best time (during daylight hours) is on the weekend. 7 - 9 PM weekdays is not a good idea.

Interestingly, they also said that usually they get about one incident a week where they have to use the light gun to bring someone in. I didn't ask if they was generally GA or 121! :goofy:

bbchien said:
Nick, I will bring a Camera with me to ORD tomorrow....Bruce
Hoo Yeah!! Awesome Bruce!

I need to count up the number of Bravos we have claimed. Someone claimed MSP yesterday, and I know EdFred claimed CLE. There are a few more too. Next update will have bravo info.

Well, nothing like being a day late and a dollar short! I didn't see this thread until just now. I was at work this morning, and saw the crowd come in. I was the one in the upstairs break room, hawking the membership in my flying club (We're still looking for members, if anyone knows someone in the Chicagoland area that wants to fly a C172). If that was Grant in the 182, I was working tower when you left.

MDW does not have a "TRACON". C90 is the TRACON that works MDW IFR traffic. The MDW controllers work our RADAR off the DBRITE scope in the tower. We only work VFR aircraft. DPA is pretty much the same way. C90 works all the IFR traffic. So, if Leslie was on an IFR flight plan, she was being tormented by C90 controllers, except in the DPA CDA.

The tower or RADAR controllers at MDW will work traffic along the lake shore from just outside GYY airspace up to pretty much due east of ORD. Depends on how far out we have our DBRITE scope set at the time. Listen to the ATIS to determine if you should call on 118.7 or 119.45.

Anyone that comes into MDW in a light aircraft during busy traffic times, and VFR weather, is probably always better off cancelling IFR and coming in to MDW VFR. If there is a lot of air carrier inbound traffic, you will at least be vectored out for the full approach, and possibly delay vectored if they don't think you will fit into the flow without delaying all the rest of the aircraft. VFR aircraft are generally sent directly to the center of the airport, flown over the top and put on the short runway. Since most of our aircraft are air carriers, almost no one uses the shorter runways making anyone that can use them number one.

I do wish I would have read this yesterday.

Darn Mike, yes, that was me in the 182. Yes, the one who couldn't hear squat on COM1. No, it had nothing to do with turning down volume while listening to ATIS! :rofl::rofl: I'm the one who, on leaving the breakroom, was talking about how Midway was neat, but a bit of a drive, considering that Clow is only about 5NM for me! Wearing the leather jacket.

I wish I had associated your name when I met you! Lou, who "sponsored" us, was really nice. Please let him know that we all really appreciated it, and appreciated the others being willing to pick up the slack while he showed us around!

Apparently one of Leslie's issues is that she was issued inconsistent instructions for the missed. IIRC, it's normally tower and not approach/TRACON who provides missed instructions. See her thread on the instument checkride to get the full (and accurate) details. I don't want to incorrectly assign blame here!:p

Good luck, Leslie!
Where is her thread posted?
ApacheBob

OK, is there some place I have to "officially" post this stuff?

Attachments

• 100_0728a.jpg
    100_0728a.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 51
bbchien said:
OK, is there some place I have to "officially" post this stuff?
A guy like you..Didn't read the rules? There's supposed to be a sign that says "Go Fly America" :D

You'll have to appeal to Chip and Nick.

http://www.goflyamerica.org/

jangell said:
A guy like you..Didn't read the rules? There's supposed to be a sign that says "Go Fly America" :D

You'll have to appeal to Chip and Nick.

http://www.goflyamerica.org/
There is a sign. I'm at the other end of the runway holding it. It's just so far away that it's really hard to make out! :goofy::goofy:

Aaacckk!
I have a nice Quick time 16.4 mbyte movie which includes the "hail Mary conversion from 170 KTS on the GS to 135 kts, gear out, flaps hanging out....and landing.
Oh well.

SkyHog said:
Hoo Yeah!! Awesome Bruce!

I need to count up the number of Bravos we have claimed. Someone claimed MSP yesterday, and I know EdFred claimed CLE. There are a few more too. Next update will have bravo info.

Ack! I wanted to get one, but ORD and MSP are the only ones within a reasonable distance. I mean, who wants to spend all that money and end up in Detroit?

Though it now looks like I can still get it 'cuz Bruce didn't have the sign. :D

Bruce, how much $$$ did they hit you up for in fees?

CJones said:
Flew out of Midway around 11:30-12 one night and they actually had one guy working Clrnc, Gnd, and Twr at one time. I didn't realize that place got slow enough for that to happen.

MKE has a 24-hour tower. I flew out of there at some ridiculously late time one night, and talked to the same guy as Clearance, Ground (still on clnc freq, no reason to switch!), Tower, and Departure. Talked to him from engine start to halfway home!

I think the only time I've talked to someone longer than that was late at night in January on Miami Center. Talked with the same guy from the time I was handed off from Key West NAS, roughly over Marathon Key, all the way until I was handed off to Tampa Approach about two hours and four frequencies later!

I'm the one who, on leaving the breakroom, was talking about how Midway was neat, but a bit of a drive

Yeah, I remember you. Hope you got all your questions answered. If not, just ask...

flyingcheesehead said:
Ack! I wanted to get one, but ORD and MSP are the only ones within a reasonable distance. I mean, who wants to spend all that money and end up in Detroit?

Though it now looks like I can still get it 'cuz Bruce didn't have the sign. :D

Bruce, how much $$$ did they hit you up for in fees?
The sole GA FBO is Signature, $55 ramp fee, waived with 30 gal of $5.20 100 LL. The city landing fee is $14.80 for a light twin. So it was stiff but not TOO usurious.

For the record, I got great service from Chicago Approach tonight. It must be really really slow. They even gave me advisories from Aurora to Dekalb (where I left their airspace) on my way to Rockford. [Gas was $3.85 at RFD]:blueplane:
ApacheBob

bbchien said:
The sole GA FBO is Signature, $55 ramp fee, waived with 30 gal of $5.20 100 LL. The city landing fee is $14.80 for a light twin. So it was stiff but not TOO usurious.

*choke* ouch. Compared to $ignature MKE, it's not so bad though - They charge $46 for a single and they're at a relatively small-potatoes airport with plenty of excellent alternates (MWC, RAC, UES...)

I tend to pay the fees rather than pay for the fuel. 30 gal at $5.20 is $156.00. 30 gal at the home drome ($3.64) is $109.20. $46.80 is close enough to $55 that I'd not buy the fuel on general principle. (I'm guessing that the single-engine fee may be smaller and/or the fuel requirement 15 gal or something?)

However, at ORD I will probably top off anyway, assuming a top-off qualifies. I'd hate to have to return to the ramp for fuel after taxiing for 8 hours. :D

Plus, I'll have the coolest fuel receipt ever. :yes:

I didn't ask if they was generally GA or 121! :goofy:

FWIW, most of the times I use a light gun, it is for 121.

mdreger said:
FWIW, most of the times I use a light gun, it is for 121.
Okay, THAT surprises me! We were betting that the light guns just gathered dust in the corner! With the multiple radios a part 121 flight probably has, as well as the increased maintenance requirements, how is it that they ever have a need for lightguns? Proficiency requirements?

It is a combination of them forgetting to switch, approach forgetting to tell them to switch, and me practicing. If they get anywhere near the airport without calling, I get the light gun and give them a green light. Many times they will call immediately. The calls they give are pretty good as well. Inside two miles 'til touchdown I've heard:

AirlinerXXX, visual approach to RWY...

AirlinerXXX, inside the marker...

AirlinerXXX, with you...

And of course, AirlinerXXX, short final.

It is pretty much a non event. We have the DBRITE, we know they are coming, watch them all the way down. If we really need to talk to them, we can call approach and have them switch them again.

Okay, this Saturday I'm flying into probably the biggest airport I've ever done. Midway Int'l in Chicago. My local EAA chapter has set up a tour of the tower for us!

I have two questions:
1) Does anyone have any questions they want answered by the tower controllers? (Note that this is not Chicago Approach!) Anything about the Southwest accident earlier this year?

2) How should I go in there, given that Chicago Approach doesn't generally "hear" piston GA aircraft? Should I file IFR (though the weather is VFR and I'm only flying about 20nm); call up approach as soon as I get the ATIS and specify on initial contact "landing Midway with (ATIS ID)", or just make a normal callup giving type & tail number (they understandably want it very short) and wait to be ignored:dunno:?

By now you probably know that MDW tower does do flight following for GA and the chart indicates that they only do it in chartered class C. But my experience, and confirmed by a MDW controller is that they will give you FF from Gary up north to Montrose harbor and sometimes even to the Baha'i Temple.

This refers to the fact that I've had a year since I started this thread?:yes::dunno::D
Yeah, I did not want to start a new thread on the topic. Since anyone searching for MDW stuff would stumble on your thread. I like one stop shopping when looking up info. My ego is secure enough that I don't need to see my name at the top of every thread.

The info BTW came from a pretty ugly thread over on the Red Board about C90 GA support. Mike has been answering a few questions over there on the topic and I can confirm what he has claimed.

... even to the Baha'i Temple.

You have one, too? I don't have the pictures on this laptop, but the only one I've seen is a bit far from Chicago, as in Haifa, Israel. :D

Updated from home with pictures. The Hotel Dan Carmel where I was staying is right above the Baha'i Temple in Haifa.

Attachments

• P5200121.JPG
    P5200121.JPG
    691.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P5200119.JPG
    P5200119.JPG
    695.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back