Fly-in Campsites

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
I'm planning a long distance trip this summer with a friend and I think one of the nights it would be fun to fly to some somewhat remote airstrip (preferably paved) where we can camp nearby for the night.

This particular leg of the trip will be flying from New Orleans to Carlsbad New Mexico. Somewhere in the middle would work great for this, as we'll have to stop to refuel regardless.

I'd love to hear about these kinda places anywhere in the country though, Just for reference.

I'd be interested as well. FYI, Payson, AZ has some fly-in campsites.

Rough River State Park in KY has camping and a lodge close by the runway

Columbia, CA airport has a rather nice campground, although I have never stayed there: http://www.airnav.com/airport/o22

Both Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells airports in Death Valley Nat. Park have nearby campgrounds, but the camping is VERY low quality, with campers packed like sardines. On the other hand, if you land at Furnace Creek, you can see what your altimeter looks like at minus 210 feet. http://www.airnav.com/airport/l06

Tim

I guess we should also specify our criteria for camping, because it seems there are many opinions for quality. I have friends that consider a motorhome that isn't plugged in to be primitive, and others who are happy with nothing but a bivi sack.

Personally, if there's a bathroom (outhouse included) I consider that a bonus. Anywhere I can pitch a tent is fine, and if there's a place for a camp fire even better.

:no:

Sigh

Paved fields don't make for good camping.
Well if there is a DZ, there is a good chance of camping with booze, bonfires, and nakid girls. But yeah, for real airplane camping type camping you need to land on water.:yes:

There's a little fly-in place with rental cabins in Suches, Georgia. That's in the north central portion of the state in the foothills of the Appalachians. They may allow camping, not sure. Nowhere near you, but an option perhaps if you ever end up in the SE.

Well if there is a DZ, there is a good chance of camping with booze, bonfires, and nakid girls. But yeah, for real airplane camping type camping you need to land on water.:yes:

I missed the DZ part, yeah Pismo, Hollister or Lompoc would be good DZs

Just found out about this little airstrip right near home, walking distance from the hot springs. Gonna have to plan an overnight there soon!

http://www.aopa.org/airports/L54

This is just the kind of thing I was thinking. Simple paved runway in the middle of the desert where you can camp nearby.

T14 Just east of Dallas. Private airport, public use. Give Walt a call. Super nice guy.

Joe

West Yellowstone has a nice but primative camping area off the NE corner of the ramp. Rental cars at the terminal. Only pilots.

There's a little fly-in place with rental cabins in Suches, Georgia. That's in the north central portion of the state in the foothills of the Appalachians. They may allow camping, not sure. Nowhere near you, but an option perhaps if you ever end up in the SE.
Which airport is that, Russ?

Back