Fly-In Camping Market Research

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
As some of you know, my wife and I own and operate America's only aviation themed, all-suites hotel. We're now getting into a new venture: Motorhome rentals. No one in our county (Johnson County, Iowa) rents RVs, so I think there is a market for it here -- but I'd like to connect it to our aviation theme somehow.

We plan to treat the RV like a 31st hotel suite, except that it's on wheels. An RV obviously has the advantage of mobility over our aviation themed hotel suites. With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out different ways to connect RV rentals with our pilot customers.

Here are just a few ideas we're tossing around:
1. Pre-position the RV at a nearby lake, and drop our fly-in guest off at the RV?

2. Pre-position the RV at the Amana Colony's idyllic grass landing strip, and meet the pilot there to help them get acclimated to the motorhome? (Amana is Iowa's biggest tourist attraction, and it's all within walking distance of the grass strip.)

3. Meet the fly-in pilot at our Iowa City airport, and simply rent the RV to the pilot for a trip of his/her choice. There are several fabulous Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds constructed on large lakes within 25 miles of Iowa City.

Now for some questions:
1. Is fly-in RV camping something that you, as a pilot, would consider doing?

2. What sort of price point would you need to see on the RV to make this doable?

3. Any other ideas on how we can marry the two?

Thanks, guys!

My personal preferences: Camping is not a big thing for me. I camp once a year, at 6Y9. I have been interested in an RV trip, but it is not high on my lists of things to do. I would rather do my long two week fly around the country trip first. I know in the summer that lots of Europeans like to come to America and RV around the country. There are a bunch of RV rental places in the south east that cater to that crowd.

Flying to Iowa City I would be much more interested in your hotel than the RV.

My personal preferences: Camping is not a big thing for me. I camp once a year, at 6Y9. I have been interested in an RV trip, but it is not high on my lists of things to do. I would rather do my long two week fly around the country trip first. I know in the summer that lots of Europeans like to come to America and RV around the country. There are a bunch of RV rental places in the south east that cater to that crowd.

Flying to Iowa City I would be much more interested in your hotel than the RV.

Okay, so, we need to cater to European pilots. :smile:

Ah, well. I figured there may not be any way to mix the crowds -- RVers and pilots -- except during Blakesburg and Oshkosh, of course. Then an RV will be a hot commodity, I'm sure.

We'll see. I suspect it's just going to be two seperate revenue streams.

1. Fly-in RV rental would be low on my list. Young enough (45) that the infrequent airplane camping done 'rough' style is part of the adventure. Any event that requires driving away from the plane likely to be done commercially (for more luggage transport capability) or via rental car / hotel, if you follow.

2. Should I entertain a rental (weather bad for a time I really wanted to be at the locale), price no more than a local two star hotel.

3. You probably thought of this, but target current football game fly-ins with the opportunity for a serious tailgate machine upon arrival (my favorite part of any football game!).

The biggest RV related draw in Iowa City is going to be Kinnick Stadium and tailgating for Hawkeye football games.

Several times, I have borrowed friends and family's RVs to go tailgating in Champaign. Not being used to driving the RV, it is a somewhat nerve racking 4hr+ drive from my location in the NW Chicago suburbs.

I would love the ability to fly-in to a big10 campus, rent a pre-stocked RV and go the game. Better still, I would love to fly to the campus, get a ride to the game, and show up at a pre-arranged RV tailgate... complete with all the goods (satellite TV, BBQ, etc). For me, there isn't a better way to spend a nice fall Saturday. In your case, you could combine the RV tailgating experience with a nights lodging at the hotel.

Granted, there are only 6 or 7 home games a year, so this would not be a full time occupation. Still, I think there are quite a few people who would pay a nice sum for this experience, and it might be a neat way to combine your hospitality expertise along with a venture into the RV market.

Same goes for Oshkosh. There certainly would be a market for flying into OSH and being able to stay in a pre-stocked RV without having the headaches of getting the RV to OSH.

Thanks, guys!

If the Hawkeyes tailgate like we do at Penn State there may be a market to provide RVs to pilots flying in for the games. At Penn State there are companies that rent RVs and set them at the game. All you need to do is show up, party and leave:D.

1. Fly-in RV rental would be low on my list. Young enough (45) that the infrequent airplane camping done 'rough' style is part of the adventure. Any event that requires driving away from the plane likely to be done commercially (for more luggage transport capability) or via rental car / hotel, if you follow.

2. Should I entertain a rental (weather bad for a time I really wanted to be at the locale), price no more than a local two star hotel.

3. You probably thought of this, but target current football game fly-ins with the opportunity for a serious tailgate machine upon arrival (my favorite part of any football game!).

Yeah, but the tailgating is a double-edged sword that can cut both ways. We're going to make it a 2-day minimum rental, with a minimum age of 25, in an effort to eliminate the "drink-till-we-barf" crowd.

As for fly-in camping, I still believe that if a place like Gaston's can survive, renting "rustic" cabins and tent camping to fly-in guests, surely there must be a market for folks who want a more upscale camping experience. There are plenty of great Army Corps of Engineers fishing and camping areas nearby, as well as lots of touristy places for the women.

Just got the insurance quote on the new RV rental biz venture -- it's not nearly as bad as I expected. Of course, I'm so used to getting boned by insurance companies, in the hotel biz, that I always expect the worst... :yikes:

Now for some questions:
1. Is fly-in RV camping something that you, as a pilot, would consider doing?

Sure! the wife isn't much of a camper, and I will admit to enjoying creature comfort. A RV availible at an airport would be a plus to me. Takes care of the rental & hotel problem at one time.

2. What sort of price point would you need to see on the RV to make this doable?

If I'm buying the gas... +/-$75 wouldn't be at all unreasonable. Is the RV stocked with the necessities like the linens, basic drinks and maybe some snacks?

Package deal? A room at the inn for a night or two plus the RV?

Be worth a try to see what happens.

Gary

I think advertising and marketing would be the key to making the venture work in your area, Jay. If you were doing something like this in the Black Hills or near Yellowstone, etc., it would be easy-peazy, but being in SE Iowa, you're gonna have to work hard to sell the regional activities - Amana Colonies, Pella Tulip Festival, Lake Red Rock, etc.

One thing you might want to look in to is hooking up with some sort of pay-to-hunt deer or pheasant hunting operation in your area. South of I-80 is covered up with deer every year. If you could market to the guys that want to fly in and have an opportunity to kill a trophy buck and not have to worry about transportation or accommodations, that might be an interesting market venture. If you set your price point correctly, you'll be able to weed out the irresponsible guys that will trash your rig.

I think advertising and marketing would be the key to making the venture work in your area, Jay. If you were doing something like this in the Black Hills or near Yellowstone, etc., it would be easy-peazy, but being in SE Iowa, you're gonna have to work hard to sell the regional activities - Amana Colonies, Pella Tulip Festival, Lake Red Rock, etc.
I was thinking that too. I have seen plenty of rental RVs both in the US Rockies and (especially) the Canadian Rockies. But those are pretty much no-brainer places for RVs. I would think that you would need some kind of destination or reason to rent an RV and I'm not familiar enough with Iowa to come up with any.

Personally I don't think I would ever rent an RV but I'm not the going on vacation type. I travel enough and get to see touristy type things as a way of killing time without going out of my way to do more. If I'm going to camp I'd rather do it in a tent, otherwise I'd just as soon drive a car, stay in a motel and eat at restaurants.

Quite right. It's always a problem, as an independent, non-chain (by choice) hotel, to figure out a way to market the place in any sort of effective way. My annual marketing/advertising budget won't buy a single "Holiday Inn" ad on prime time TV, so the challenge to reach potential guests is daunting. Heck, after 7 years, even though we've been covered by all the major flying magazines, darned few pilots even know about us.

And it'll be the same with the RV, I'm sure. Easy to market locally, not so easy regionally and nationally.

Here's our first webpage about the RV: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_rv_rental.htm

:yesnod:

One thing you might want to look in to is hooking up with some sort of pay-to-hunt deer or pheasant hunting operation in your area. South of I-80 is covered up with deer every year. If you could market to the guys that want to fly in and have an opportunity to kill a trophy buck and not have to worry about transportation or accommodations, that might be an interesting market venture. If you set your price point correctly, you'll be able to weed out the irresponsible guys that will trash your rig.
I'm sold - sign me up!

As someone who has personally witnessed a small upstart RV rental idea grow into the largest one in the country I can tell ya it can work ,,, but. Hope for the best and plan for the worst. Be able to fix any and all damage, issues, etc, in a timely manner as the next renter will want a full functioning unit even if the turnaround time is hours between drop off/pick up. I can tell you stories that will make you have nightmares and others that will give you a warm, fuzzy feeling. Just keep in mind, the guests at Alexis are monitored all the time and if there is an "event" you can usually stop it in progress. With the RV, the "come to jesus" moment happens when they return it to you, or worse yet when IHP/ wrecker company calls with the bad news. The concept seems sound though.

Good luck sir.

Ben.

Jay -

What's your price point like? We are former RV owners and have considered renting for weekend family outings, but at least around here the price just isn't justifiable for a weekend "camping" trip.

This is a real example of the prices for a local 35' Class A rental (no slides):

$150/day 4 day minimum starting September
$.40/ mile
$100 cleaning
$70 Dumping fee or waived if you dump the tanks.
$3/ hour generator
$1500 damage deposit

And if I wanted to use this particular RV on a Penn State weekend, the cost jumps to $1000 for Thu-Mon.

I like your idea and think it has potential. But as I can say from the viewpoint of what I expect would be your target customer base (ie family renters as opposed to rowdy bachelor party), at the end of the day you are still sleeping in the woods and it has to be priced accordingly.

Jim

Last edited:
Jay I don't think Fly In RV camping would be something I'd really bite at. I guess if I wanted to fly to somewhere near a national park and then use the RV to explore and stay at that park then tha is something I'd consider. But the RV would have to be stocked with sheets towels etc so I wouldn't have to bring it in the plane. I'm not really sure what I'd pay for it.

My brother and I once looked into renting an RV to drive XC but the cost was outragous. The were combining the cost of a hotel and expensive car rental and then some. Otherwise if its not something like a national park or a football game. I probably would'nt give it a second thought.

What's your price point like? We are former RV owners and have considered renting for weekend family outings, but at least around here the price just isn't justifiable for a weekend "camping" trip.

This is a real example of the prices for a local 35' Class A rental (no slides):

$150/day 4 day minimum starting September
$.40/ mile
$100 cleaning
$70 Dumping fee or waived if you dump the tanks.
$3/ hour generator
$1500 damage deposit

And if I wanted to use this particular RV on a Penn State weekend, the cost jumps to $1000 for Thu-Mon.

Those prices are CHEAP. Webster City RV rents theirs for $335/night! (The cleaning fee is only if you don't clean it before returning it.)

I am aiming for around $135/night, but I haven't run the numbers completely...yet.

For those who may be curious, here is a listing of campgrounds just a few minutes from the Iowa City Airport: http://www.campiowa.com/county_detail.cfm?region=SE&county_id=54

The Army Corps of Engineers have made some absolutely gorgeous campgrounds on two manmade (by them) lakes nearby. If you didn't know better you would swear that you were in Northern Wisconsin, instead of Iowa!

Being born in Iowa I can say this. The only reason to camp in Iowa is to spend the night as you are on your way somewhere else. The only place I have been to in Iowa that was worth staying more than a day or two was Spirit Lake.

Being born in Iowa I can say this. The only reason to camp in Iowa is to spend the night as you are on your way somewhere else. The only place I have been to in Iowa that was worth staying more than a day or two was Spirit Lake.

And of course the Alexis Park Inn..:sleep::sleep::rolleyes:

And of course the Alexis Park Inn..:sleep::sleep::rolleyes:

Amen, brother! :smile:

I don't understand that attitude toward Iowa, especially coming from a self-confessed native. On the other hand, perhaps it's because I'm NOT a native (born and raised in Wisconsin, on the shores of Lake Michigan) that I can see this state for all of it's beauty?

If all you ever saw of Iowa was what could be viewed from I-80, you would never believe that:
  • Iowa isn't flat
  • Iowa has beautiful lakes
  • Iowa has huge forests
  • Iowa has unique, amazing tourist attractions
  • Iowa has wonderful shopping opportunities
  • Iowa has amazing antiquing opportunities
  • Iowa has great museums
  • Iowa has extraordinarily diverse, multi-cultural cities
The list goes on and on. Of course, before I moved here in '97, I, too, thought of Iowa as "that land between the Great Lakes and the mountains -- but after living here for 12 years I feel I've only scratched the surface of things to see and do here!

LMAO! Maybe the tourism development bunch can come up with something like, "Iowa, Gateway to Nebraska"...

Trapper John

Those prices are CHEAP. Webster City RV rents theirs for $335/night! (The cleaning fee is only if you don't clean it before returning it.)

I am aiming for around $135/night, but I haven't run the numbers completely...yet.

Yikes! $335/night? Maybe $150 isn't as bad as I thought.

We looked at it from a weekend family camping perspective. Assuming we could use it for a Friday/Saturday night trip, we'd still subject to the 4-day minumum. Add mileage, fuel, site fees, etc. and it's the better part of a grand for two nights of camping. Around here, we could get a suite for two nights in a posh seaside hotel for far less than that.

I think your niche would be as a destination option as opposed to a simple rental.

Jim

Back