Fly.Gov

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
I recently signed up to recieve email form fly.gov re: delays at several east coast airports.
To day I recieved the following:

Ground Delay Program to [ PHL ] due to [ "EDCTS SUSPENDED UFA." WEATHER/LOW CEILINGS ]
Avg Delay arriving traffic: 16 minutes Max Delay: 53 minutes.Can/would anyone explain what EDCTS Suspended meaans?????
Thanks, KD

cherokeeflyboy said:
I recently signed up to recieve email form fly.gov re: delays at several east coast airports.

Ground Delay Program to [ PHL ] due to [ "EDCTS SUSPENDED UFA." WEATHER/LOW CEILINGS ]
Avg Delay arriving traffic: 16 minutes Max Delay: 53 minutes.Can/would anyone explain what EDCTS Suspended meaans?????
Thanks, KD

Expected Delay Clearance Time.... means they don't know how long the delay will be (that's the practical effect).

IIRC, when an airport has a ground delay imposed, inbound flights are held on the ground and given an EDCT - that's the time they should plan on being in the air. Sorta like an EFC time on an IFR clearance.

Last edited:
cherokeeflyboy said:

Thanks, KD
EDCTS is "Expect Departure Clearance Times." It's the ARTCC TMU's (Traffic Management Unit) responsibility to notify of GDP (Ground Delay Program) and EDCTs information. Suspending EDCTS means that the GDP was most likely canceled by the ARTCC TMU (terminal)and then notifies not only the Tower and lower facilities, but the ATCSCC (Air Traffic Control System Command Center

Notice 7110.318: This GENOT retains the current EDCT window, 5 minutes before until 5 minutes after the EDCT. It also provides guidance for releasing flights on their assigned EDCT when the flights are early, on time, or late. This change will be reflected in FAAO 7110.65 in February 2004.

What is the EDCT window?
The window for meeting an EDCT is 5 minutes before until 5 minutes after the EDCT. The aircraft operator is responsible to operate in a manner consistent with departing within the EDCT window. ATC should provide the departing flight every opportunity to meet the EDCT.

Many EDCTs are associated with a GDP or Ground Delay Program.

Jason

Last edited:
wsuffa said:
Expected Delay Clearance Time.... means they don't know how long the delay will be.

That is what I guessed/thought, but the message confused me because they follow the edcts with 16 min delay max delay 53.

Oh well, I now understand...The 16 min...........is for arriving traffic and the edct is for departing. Sometimes I can be so dense.
thanks......KD

Thanks for clearing that up for me Jason

KD

Back