fltplan go - slow downloads

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
I've been testing out the different EFBs to see which I prefer. I downloaded fltplan go and have been attempting to download the northwest sectional. It tries to download for about 30 minutes, gets 1/4 of the way done then errors out.

Can anyone who uses it weigh in? is this normal?

It's only 572mb it should download in a few minutes.

I use Avair on two cheap Chinese Phablets... Once every 28 days I download about 50 sectionals, tacs and others,, takes about 1 hour for each phablet!

I think you are having a wifi problem.

I agree that you have connection problems. I have no issues downloading/updating FPG

Are you leaving it open and running with nothing else going on? In my experience, it does not download in the background at all. Neither does Garmin Pilot.

You don't say what platform. I am talking iPad.

It's an Samsung tab A. Avare and garmin pilot both downloaded everything fine.

I closed all other apps while downloading, and tried 3 times.

I'll try again tonight, hopefully it was just my wifi being stupid #shrug

I have had issues with downloading on my Surface 3 with FltplanGo. If I set it to download more than one thing at a time so that it has them queued up it seems to get hung up. If I do individual ones it works better, but still hangs sometimes. When it does I just close the app and try again. It's not an issue with my wifi, I have run speed tests and checked connectivity, it is either the app or their mirror that it downloads from.

Either way eventually I have been able to get them downloaded.

Update:

I tried to download the file again when I got home, same result. So I installed FPG on my android phone. I was able to install, download all the initial files, and download the sectional in about 25 minutes using the same WIFI.

So I think it's safe to say the issue lies with my tablet. Which is weird because it was able to download the AF/D and some other files fine.

Update:

I tried to download the file again when I got home, same result. So I installed FPG on my android phone. I was able to install, download all the initial files, and download the sectional in about 25 minutes using the same WIFI.

So I think it's safe to say the issue lies with my tablet. Which is weird because it was able to download the AF/D and some other files fine.
Maxing out the internal storage, perhaps?

Unrelated but I'm having issues with FltPlan Go and downloaded maps.

For some reason it will only display online maps when I have a connection even though I know I have all the Sectional and LE's downloaded and have used them in the past. Everything shows up to date as well. Plates, AFDs, airport info, etc. work fine as downloaded items. But not the maps and charts.

Anyone had that issue?

For some reason it will only display online maps when I have a connection even though I know I have all the Sectional and LE's downloaded and have used them in the past. Everything shows up to date as well. Plates, AFDs, airport info, etc. work fine as downloaded items. But not the maps and charts.

Anyone had that issue?

Yes. iPad Air with iOS 9.3.2

FltPlan-Go does have probs with their charts.
About a year or so ago, they changed formats from more individualized charts (like typical sectionals) to gargantuan (multi-WAC) type downloads that could easily overwhelm tablet RAM
That could very well be your problem. I use FltPlan-Go only for individual airport IAPs and TPPs but forego trying to capture sectionals and Low-Enroute charts.
Avare does a much better job at providing charts with no bloat. The only real adverse part of Avare is not providing the aircraft icon on the IAP localizer as is done with FltPlan-Go, otherwise it is a far superior app than FltPlan-Go

Anyone had that issue?

Do you have it set to use downloaded maps only? If you are in the map and click the settings button in the top left corner there is a check box for "Downloaded Maps Only." I had downloaded all the local ones and was trying to figure out why it was loading the map so slow. I checked that box in the settings and it is very fast now just pulling the info from the download instead of trying to pull it online.

Back