Flitesoft and a netbook?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I'm looking at a smaller computer to use when traveling in the Citabria. My old laptop is big and bulky and a pain to travel with in the airplane. I'm thinking about this one for taking on flying trips like to OSH, Gaston's, and places like that:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/mini1000/hpmini1000.html

I'm wondering how well Flitesoft will work with that? I'm not sure how big the program is and how well it would work with that particular netbook. Anybody have any experience with it?

Thanks.

Daiana:

I have a teensy-weensy netbook, mine being an Acer, which is functionally very similar to what you are looking at getting.

First off, your proposed box has just enough larger a screen to be really good; mine is mighty small, and occasionally I have a hard time reading smaller text. Something to do with my eyes getting older, I am certain.

But, as far as its ability to run software, you should be in good shape; I run all manner of software on mine, all the same stuff I ran on my larger Toshiba, and it handles it with grace and aplomb, and I'd certainly expect the HP to do so as well.

If you are picking and choosing what to include when you buy it, be sure you upgrade the memory (RAM) some, as that will be the key determinant as to whether it will run with reasonable dispatch.

If you're like me, you'll find the small size and increased portability will be a real boon; I love mine.

I just bought an Asus EEE (the new -HE version). Windows XP - it'll run everything. Bought it because I needed something light for traveling - can't use the corporate laptop for personal stuff.

I love it. Battery life enough to do a transcon in an airliner w/o recharge. Put my EvDO modem on, and I'm great to go almost everywhere.

Highly recommended.

I just bought an Asus EEE (the new -HE version). Windows XP - it'll run everything. Bought it because I needed something light for traveling - can't use the corporate laptop for personal stuff.

I love it. Battery life enough to do a transcon in an airliner w/o recharge. Put my EvDO modem on, and I'm great to go almost everywhere.

Highly recommended.

My experience in a nutshell.

Except no EvDO coverage in Gillespie County, so I use the AT&T card. It's not 3G there, but it's works. Most of the time.

I've got an Acer One and it runs FlightSoft great. I also use the Nacomatic Plates and Foxit reader. The approach plates fit very well when rotated and is pretty readable even with my old eyes (and tri-focals of course) even in direct sunlight. Battery life leaves a little to be desired and I cant make it connect to the EDM 760. I really bought it just for the approach plate backup.

I've got an Acer One and it runs FlightSoft great. I also use the Nacomatic Plates and Foxit reader. The approach plates fit very well when rotated and is pretty readable even with my old eyes (and tri-focals of course) even in direct sunlight. Battery life leaves a little to be desired and I cant make it connect to the EDM 760. I really bought it just for the approach plate backup.

Thanks Mark. :) I finally bought the HP Mini 1030 and put Flitesoft on it today. It took me awhile to figure out how to do that without the CD drive.

Back