Flightseeing in Vancouver/Victoria area

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I imagine this won't get a response until a bunch more people join, but, anyone have any tips on where to focus a sightseeing flight out there? I am planning on visiting in early July. thanks.

I'm sorry I really can't talk about flying in BC as I didn't have my pilot's license when I lived there (Vancouver and Prince George). If you wanted to avoid the mountains I'd stick with the Channel Islands , Vancouver Island and anywhere along the coast. If you're willing to brave the granite - Whistler or all the way to Banff/Lake Louise.

thank you Barry. I do not yet have my PPL and even if I do have it by then I would likely go up dual, at minimum (if not just pay someone to fly me around). I'd love to hear more about your former home, it looks so pretty! This will be my first trip there.

I wish I had pictures to show you but this was back in 79-81 (before digital cameras!!). By the way, there's a seaplane taxi service that flies from Vancouver harbour to Victoria which you may like to try.

Beth,

Why not find an FBO up there and take a lesson?

Admittedly, the time probably wouldn't count down here (or the question of whether or not it would is tough). However, the instructor certainly know what to see and you'd get a chance to learn!

MSmith said:
Beth,

Why not find an FBO up there and take a lesson?

Admittedly, the time probably wouldn't count down here (or the question of whether or not it would is tough). However, the instructor certainly know what to see and you'd get a chance to learn!
Actually, you don't even really need to 'take a lesson'. You can hire a plane and CFI, give them your logbook and ask if you can take the yoke for a while. Log it as dual if it's legal but otherwise you're just chartering a plane.

thanks, I'll likely do just that, sounds fun huh? maybe even get some seaplane time in.

Beth,

Check into the rules for counting time flown with a CFI up there.... Specifically, you might want to see if time flown with a US licensed CFI would count towards your hours....

Never hurts to ask.

woodstock said:
thanks, I'll likely do just that, sounds fun huh? maybe even get some seaplane time in.
I try to do it whenever I'm in a different part of the country, even if I'm not getting checked out for rentals. It's fun, can count as dual and is a great way to get some local flying knowledge.

isn't this exciting? another neat new thing to do on vacation. I usually try to go horseback riding at least once on my trips, now I can add flying! (then again, most of my trips are in Europe, which is REALLY expensive for flying...)

I travel a lot with my job and try to fly in different areas with CFIs. Don't really have the need to get checked out. So far I've had the opportunity to fly in IA, MO, NM, UT, OR, HI and AK. You can probably guess which two habe been my favorites.

Mark

The Strait of Georgia and up to Comox is gorgeous.... BTDT too long ago. (6 years, I think). Bruce

Back