FlightPro question

Probably not a lot of people who'll switch, but it's also good information for those who don't already have a device and are looking to get one.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Agree. One needs to know the hardware options for whatever app they are looking for, whether it be whether to get an iPad or Android (or I guess at some point even Windows) tablet.

All I'm suggesting is that, given equivalent hardware features, reliability and cost, one who bases an EFB app subscription decision heavily on the ADS-B unit and whether it's "open" or not, rather than the app's features and usability (to them, not to someone else) is probably shortchanging themselves for no good reason.

Last edited:
Last week I decided to go with iFly on my Android for reasons stated above by Mark and others. I tried all kinds of positions in the cockpit but could fine none to mount my iPad Air, so my 7" Android is still the cockpit tool of choice. I also put Naviator back on it because it does a few things better than iFly, in my opinion and for $34/year you can have it all.

If/when iFly allows syncing between platforms for flight plans, etc., I'll probably add the $20 subscription to the iPad so I can use it at home/in the hotel/FBO for preflights, etc.

I have a Dual XGPS170 ADS-B receiver and I have lots of options from WingX to Avare. It's Foreflight's and Garmin's loss.

Just got this email from Google Wallet: "Your subscription with AMS, Inc. has been cancelled and you will not be charged going forward."

Which is cute except for all the folks who use the geo-referenced charts and paid for the full year. Too bad my 60 days were up to dispute the charge in early January

Got an email from Shane Gordon today. Looks like this is the end:

Dear FlightPro Users and Supporters,

Last Friday morning, I was ready to send an update. The new developer was less than three weeks away from having a new functional version of the FlightPro application ready for download. The new version would have pointed to the FlightPro.com servers instead of the Avilution.com servers. In addition, I still had hope that Mark Spencer of Avilution would agree to keep pushing chart data updates from his Avilution.com servers in the interim.

However, on Friday afternoon, I received notice that Avilution has filed a lawsuit directly against FlightPro/Aviation Mapping Solutions. As many of you are aware, Avilution was the original developer of the core code within FlightPro, and Avilution is the largest single shareholder of the FlightPro corporate parent, Aviation Mapping Solutions Inc. Furthermore, Avilution controls the the Google Play and Google Wallet accounts tied to the application, and thus the revenue, your accounts, and the data subscriptions. AMS/FlightPro does not have control or even access to these account. Furthermore, Avilution is now seeking a court's determination that it should be able to continue controlling all of the assets of FlightPro/AMS. To follow these court proceedings you would need to search for Avilution, LLC v. Aviation Mapping Solutions, Inc. with cause number 47-CV-2015-900353.00 in the Circuit Court of Madison County, Alabama.

Consequently, I have stopped all work by the new developer as the new investors have refused to fund any work pending resolution of this suit. The courts will ultimately determine who legally holds the assets moving forward as well as the liabilities, but in the interim, all of the assets are controlled by Avilution.

Therefore, please direct all inquiries concerning those matters to

Avilution LLC
c/o Registered Agent: Mark Spencer
100 Maple Valley Drive
Madison, Alabama 35758

You may also be able to reach them at support@avilution.com

For actual legal proceedings, you would probably need to contact the attorneys listed for Avilution, LLC as follows:

W. Brad English or Emily J Chancey
Maynard Cooper & Gale, P.C.
655 Gallatin Street
Huntsville, Alabama 35801
256-551-0171

Many of you have realized that support@flightpro.com now points to a ZenDesk account where I have been working to respond to inquiries and support requests. I will endeavor to continue responding to all of your communications over the next few weeks, but please note that only Avilution will be able to address requests for subscription termination and reimbursements through the Google accounts that they control.

All I have left at this point is to once again apologize for failing our faithful users. You have supported FlightPro in a myriad of ways, not the least of which is with your checkbook, and words just cannot convey how deeply disappointed I am to have let you all down.

Sincerely,
Shane Gordon

It appears after reading the PLAINTIFFS ORIGINAL PETITION, the users of Avilution or FlightPro,whatever it is, are screwed. We can't get updates and I will be surprised if we recover our subscriptions. Guess it is time for the 750 or 1200 of us to find a new app. Sad thing is the app actually worked well and was easy to use.

However, this now explains why a lot of thing never were developed that we were told would be. Sounds like we were jusr lied to.

If the application only had 1200 subscribers it was probably going to be doomed anyhow.

Yes I agree that 1200 users were not enough.
It was a very good app in the beginning, easy to use in flight. Development lagged in the past year and that was the first sign of trouble, so I guess it is on to another app.

Yes I agree that 1200 users were not enough.
It was a very good app in the beginning, easy to use in flight. Development lagged in the past year and that was the first sign of trouble, so I guess it is on to another app.
Do you think any exclusively Android EFB app has much of a user base? For better or worse, iOS had an enormous head start.

Personally and based on nothing but impressions from reading posts on a half-dozen pilot forums, once you get past ForeFlight, WingX and Garmin, I doubt we're talking about much in the way of tablet user base, regardless of OS.

Do you think any exclusively Android EFB app has much of a user base? For better or worse, iOS had an enormous head start.

People generally find Ipads and what not easier to use. I've had android based devices for the last 4 years or so but once I started flying quickly realized that IOS had the following. So I got an Ipad mini and actually have been very happy with it.

I bought an iPad to run Xavion and sort of regret the purchase. The visibility of the screen is so much worse than that of my Nexus 7, almost unusable depending on the time of day, and I don't even have a bubble canopy. I actually had to buy an app because Safari on the iPad doesn't seem to let you download and save anything to the iPad as far as I could tell. I find the closed ecosystem of Apple to be arrogant and mildly infuriating. Besides those things I don't have any issues though :)

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

I downloaded Avare and that might work for now. I need to finish up my CFI and then I can take advantage of the free WingX subscription.

Log into Google Wallet and click on Help. Search for third-party refund. There should be a link for filing a mediation request. They do want you to contact the seller first and wait 72 hours, but you can probably make a case that would be pointless. I emailed Avilution support, got an email saying to contact the FlightPro lawyer, forwarded that email to him, and didn't get a reply. I mentioned that in my mediation request and included links to Avilution's Facebook page and the FlightPro website where they are pointing fingers at each other.

Just got an email from Avilution that they got a partial judgement yesterday which allows them to start working around the clock to deliver chart updates. Too bad they're now unreliable and like all unreliable parts must be consigned to the dustbin

Just got an email from Avilution that they got a partial judgement yesterday which allows them to start working around the clock to deliver chart updates. Too bad they're now unreliable and like all unreliable parts must be consigned to the dustbin

It's not a partial judgment. It's an interim order from the judge in the Alabama case to allow the original Avilution company to maintain and support the program while the litigation is pending.

I have a collection of documents from the case in this DropBox folder. I have an index file listing what is in it for anyone interested.

Back