FlightAware latest track display.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Looking at what they show for my airplane, I can conclude that they do show your most recent flight even if you didn't file a flight plan. I flew a couple practice approaches yesterday and while there is no plan shown in the text listing, the flight track is certainly what I did then.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N9025Q

To me this means that the track shown for the recently crashed Cirrus from KFCM was the fatal flight. The most recent news reports said they were returning from Wayne NE when they went down, and that's right about where the track turns north. The little hook/loop in the track in SD may have been an early indication of problems with weather.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N621PH

When I put in our club plane N#'s I get the last IFR flight(s) - from 5 months ago. I'm quite certain I've flown with flight following since then. Perhaps when you fly practice approaches they put you in the "system".

inav8r said:
Perhaps when you fly practice approaches they put you in the "system".

I flew practice approaches at a class C last night, VFR, with a safety pilot. Our flight was not tracked by FlightAware.

I agree, Lance, did you file IFR for your practice?

inav8r said:
When I put in our club plane N#'s I get the last IFR flight(s) - from 5 months ago. I'm quite certain I've flown with flight following since then. Perhaps when you fly practice approaches they put you in the "system".

I was no doubt "in the system" as I was on an IFR clearance (sans full flight plan, it was entered by approach).

My main point was that there appears to be a condition where FlightAware records a flight path without updating the list of flight legs when an aircraft is tracked on a discrete code but there's not a full flight plan in the system, or maybe if the plan doesn't go through "normal channels".

lancefisher said:
My main point was that there appears to be a condition where FlightAware records a flight path without updating the list of flight legs when an aircraft is tracked on a discrete code but there's not a full flight plan in the system, or maybe if the plan doesn't go through "normal channels".

I wonder if having a "local" xponder code has somthing to do with how the system works. Chattanooga (CHA) has a bank of local xponder codes (0200 series) they can assign without having to go to the computer and put you in the system. I assume that is why my VFR approaches last night were not recorded by FlightAware.

As an experiment, I will file IFR the next time I do approach practice and see if I get tracked.

Bill Jennings said:
I wonder if having a "local" xponder code has somthing to do with how the system works. Chattanooga (CHA) has a bank of local xponder codes (0200 series) they can assign without having to go to the computer and put you in the system. I assume that is why my VFR approaches last night were not recorded by FlightAware.

As an experiment, I will file IFR the next time I do approach practice and see if I get tracked.
Bill,

I believe you are correct. In order to *really* be in the system, you have to have the controller associate your callsign with a squawk code. Otherwise, they just give you a squawk, when you ident, they type in a callsign and you're getting services from them, but not *truely* in the "system."

When you depart from an airport in class B or C airspace, they will most likely give you a descrete code, not just a standard VFR code from a list they have. I departed IFR in the Bonanza once and then came back VFR Flight Following with a different code, and it came out. My grandfather then shot practice approaches a few days later and receieved his track, since NY gave him a descrete code, and he didn't file IFR.

Jason

gibbons said:
Bill,
Did you file "direct?" :rofl:

Funny guy! Actually, it looks like the FlightAware didn't track me until I got handed off to center, then I cancelled 10mi out.

Shortest IFR flight in history, I'm soooo embarrased.

Were you flying your little plane ? Certainly you wouldn't let it wander around all by itself. :)

no, I haven't flown in nearly a month - again. December has been a bizzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeee month. (my little plane is a rental, but no one seems to fly it much - it's painted like a Pepsi can which may be a deterrent but I think it's cool).

woodstock said:
no, I haven't flown in nearly a month - again.

According to my logbook... 22-Sept was my last flight. I feel your pain. I'm going have to learn all over again. sheesh !

Last edited:
Back