Flight Training Failure/Non Completion

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
This is aimed towards the instructors on the board. Out of ten students how many would you say attain their PPL? How many times do you have to tell a person they just don't have "the right stuff"?

While my informal observations show a 60% failure to complete, I'd say less than 5% fail due to lack of ability. Lack of money, lack of drive are the reasons I see.

Out of about 10, I've had two disappear from I suspect lack money. Two just didn't have the hands to handle gliders, although they were both rated in power. I never flew with them in power but heard questionable stories.

One never made it to solo, could not handle or figure out the cross controlled stall. The other failed a check ride for the no spoiler approach. Over 40 patterns with 3 different instructors and he still coud not do it, had created a personal mental block on the maneuver, he had an excuse for every pattern, wind changed, no wind, opposite direction (left vs right patter). He quit, blamed the inept instructors and left.

6 passed with flying colors.

I'd say over 90%

Told two folks it wasnt going to happen, had one I had to give to someone else to get their PPL when I moved.

Everyone else got their PPL or CPL.

This is aimed towards the instructors on the board. Out of ten students how many would you say attain their PPL? How many times do you have to tell a person they just don't have "the right stuff"?

For those I've taken from lesson one onward, 100% have achieved their licenses. I've had a number of others come and go during various points in their training, however.

I've never had one who couldn't "get it." Some take longer than others, but they've all been able to get there (despite some grave concerns on my part along the way!)

I have not seen any walk away - some just take it slower for money reasons.

Some are just progressing slowly due to ADM issues caused from good-enough-itis.

My personal rate for primary training is about half made it through. The rest dropped out for finances and lack of interest.

I did have an instrument student who I told might want to find something else to do. He'd failed the checkride three times and they stuck him with me to try for a fourth. He was one who just "didn't get it".

LJ,

I'm NOT a flight instructor although that is my ambition. I would like to weigh in though.

I flew with four different CFI's in the course of getting my Private. They were ALL, older HIGHLY EXPERIENCED pilots and instructors. ALL of them indicated to me that ANYONE could learn to fly if they were determined enouugh.

I think what turns people away from learning to fly to the PPL level is almost always things like money, time, lack of determination, or maybe even something happens to scare them.

If you want to learn to fly you will find a way. I overcame numerous obstacles and managed to do it, so I think that almost ANYONE determined enough can do it.

Very best of luck with it.

Back