Flight to Hanger Hotel

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Flew with three friends to Fredericksburg (T82) today, ate at the airport restaurant and checked out the Hanger Hotel. Pretty neat place. There was an officer's club (hope they make better drinks than the last one I frequented) lots of historic memorabilia and some nice touches.

We rented a car and drove into town to tour the WWII Naval museum. Pretty nice place to visit for a couple hours. At the same time, the city was celebrating Oktoberfest. Lots of beer trucks making deliveries while we were there.

This would be a pretty neat place to fly into some time if anyone wants to kick around a touristy place with some history (for Texas). Historic downtown area with a lot of shops also would be fun.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Dave,

Wish I'd known....

I was up at T82 for lunch yesterday - Jason (Low&Slow from red board) is in town in AF training at Lackland. I took him flying and we ended up there for lunch.

I would have hopped in the plane and come up again.

Hope you stopped at Burnet (KBMQ) for fuel. It's at $2.90/gal.

Fredericksburg is a nice town.... the museum is worthwhile - my dad added a lot of "color" to the visit - he served on Big Mo' (BB-63) in WWII, was on board for the surrender in Tokyo.

bill

Okay guys, I have one question. What possessed them to put a Naval Museum so far from the sea? And how did they get the boats there?(sorry, two questions)

Barb

One Short said:
Okay guys, I have one question. What possessed them to put a Naval Museum so far from the sea? And how did they get the boats there?(sorry, two questions)

Barb

No boats, Barb. There are a few parts of boats....

F'burg is the birthplace of Admiral Nimitz, CiC of Pacific Forces in WWII. He led the Naval war, hence there is a museum there.

Nice folks there at the Fredericksburg FBO; did you get the white Malibu, the tan Malibu or the Dodge Avenger?

You see a little of what motivated Celia to make us "cabin-poor" with our Fredericksburg cabin.

And Bill, I'll be callin' you next time we head that way...

Back