Flight Test Period

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
I just bought an Experimental Glider. It was built in 1965 and had an Experimental Airworthiness Certificate up until the early 80s. At that point, the certificate was not renewed and allowed to expire, i believe. At any rate when the person I bought the glider from got it, it had no airworthiness certificate. He did all the paperwork and last December it was issued a brand new Experimental Airworthiness Certificate. Was inspected by the guy from the FSDO and the whole shebang.
Anyway, now its mine. It hasnt flown since then and I have some questions about the operating limitations. Thought Id ask the experts here first. My limitations say that the glider must go under at least 5 hours of flight testing, to be done in an area within 25 miles of the Ames, IA Airport. Ok I can handle that. The way I understand it, after the flight test period is done, I can venture more than 25 miles away, right? Also, after I complet the flight test period, I must endorse the logbook of the glider saying something like:

I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds Vso ______, Vx ______, and Vy ______, and the weight ______ and CG location ______ at which they were obtained.”
Really only Vso would apply to the glider. I have a question about "its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed" The glider was flight tested when it was built. It was flown to redline, and also was shown to be able to spin and loop. It is currently placarded as approved for spins and loops. Rolls are prohibited. Do I need to redemonstrate all this stuff? And if i do, but for example choose not to do loops, do I then have to replacard the glider? I guess the overlying question is "Is any of the previous flight testing still valid?"

I'm no DER, but I'd say if there were no non-conforming conditions identified during the most recent airworthiness certificate issuance (it was not modified from the previous "approved" configuration) then the original flight limitations are still valid. If you want to expand those limitations then additional validation (flight test, engineering analysis, etc.) would be required and submitted to the agency.

The FAA should have documentation regarding the previous configuration (for a fee).

my 2 cents

got a reply. as long as the previous flight testing is documented, I can sign off that it was previously done, as long as the configuration/structure of the aircraft hasnt changed, which it hasnt. I replied for clarification that I basically just need to fly the thing 5 hrs, sign it off, then I can go more than 25 miles away.

Tony,

I may be of some help here as I do certify aircraft for a living. First did the FSDO issue you both phase 1 and phase 2 limitations at the same time?

If both phases were issued at the same time all you would have to do is fly off the 5-hour flight test which is standard for a glider and make a maintenance record entry as shown on your limitations.

If phase 2 limitations were not issued you would still make the maintenance record entry and go back to the FSDO to have phase 2 issued. The FSDO would also issue a new pink airworthiness certificate with a different date per the limitations.

If you want to perform spins and loops and such they should have been spelled out on your phase one limitations and after completing them you would sign each one off. When your phase two is issued it would allow only those spins and loops to be performed in phase 2. They can always be added, but you would have to go back to the FSDO and request it to be added, which would require you to go back to your test area and perform the maneuvers, sign it off and have a new phase 2 limitation issued. Phase 2 allows you to go anywhere and operate, however if you make a major change or alteration you would have to return to your given flight test area or have a new flight test area assigned by the local FSDO.

I am current writing uploading glider limitations to be placed on my web site, which has a lot of the information and sample limitations. You can also reach me at my site by clicking on the e-mail link for more information. You can find my web site at: http://www.stacheair.com

I hope I have answered at least some of your questions.

Stache

Stache,
was hoping you would reply. yes Phase I and II limitations were issued at the time of the airworthiness certificate. Sounds like I just need to fly it 5 hours and make the entry in the logbook, and all the previous limitations (airspeed, no rolls etc.) and priveleges (spins/loops) will apply? I dont have them handy, but I may email you the exact verbiage when I am in Ames next weekend just to make sure. thanks again,

E-mail what you have and I will look it over.

I am currently re-writing my template for experimental glider operations limitations to meet the new standard so it will be a good review for me.

Stache

Back