Flight Student Needs Advice

F

Frustrated

I started going back to school after taking a break for almost a decade. I did not do very well in my first try at college right out of high school, and I was concerned that I would struggle. Taking two classes a semester, I have been earning straight A’s. Now, I am going to be a full time student while overseeing our family business. I wanted to see if there was something I could do to be proactive and help me get more out of my study time since I had trouble in the past. **When I went to see my regular doctor at the local family practice, he had since retired, so I met with his replacement. He was a younger doctor, and I told him my goals for school. After a five minute conversation, he declared that I have anxiety and prescribed me Zoloft which he said would help me with concentrating. I didn’t think this mattered at the time, and after two weeks, I stopped taking the medication because it had no effect on me, nor did I feel that I needed it. I told the doctor that it wasn’t working. I was planning on starting flight school, and I was getting ready to take my medical when I saw the blank on the form where it asks if you have anxiety or other mental issues. I asked my new young family doctor about this, and he said that he will not change his opinion on the matter, and if I would like another opinion, I should see a mental health professional. I have been successful in my business endeavors and haven’t had any problems with the law. I consider myself to be a stable and successful individual; however, due to this one doctor’s visit, it appears I am going to have difficulty getting my medical. What do I do?

a couple of questions and i will offer some advice: you have never applied to the FAA? When were the visits that had you taking zoloft and how long has it been since u last took zoloft. Any other prescribed medications past or present?

I do not think you will have too much difficulty obtaining your medical.

Last edited:
I have never applied to the FAA. I was prescribed medication right out of high school to try to help my grades in college but I didn't take them for more than a few months. It has been so long I don't even recall what I was prescribed. (straterra?) Other than taking some antibiotics and an inhaler when I was sick with pertussis a few years ago, I haven't taken any other medications in the last nine years. I initially visited the doctor two and a half months ago, so I have been off the medication for two months. Thank you for any advice you may have.

You're in good hands with Dr. Louis here...

Slight comment about your doctor... I am not a fan the "I can prescribe anything, even meds for mental conditions that I'm not an expert in" AKA, more of a "Doctor Feel Good" types. Since this young doc isn't familiar with the FAA medical rules, he could do something else that gets your medical in a twist.

So looking about for another local general practitioner doc, and one that is a pilot, might be worth your time.

I'm fortunate that mine is a former Air Force doc. So when I explained what I needed from him to hand to the FAA, he understood the reason and was more than accommodating to provide.

Last edited:
so ... you can prodeed with seeing an AME and apply for a student pilot medical any class. You are taking no meds so you do not have to report any but you do need to ck yes to the anxiety/mental at the least. Answer all truthfully and answer all the AME's questions truthfully. Pass his physical exam! Your application will likely (should) be deferred (you have every right to ask the AME to do so) to the FAA because of mental health diagnosis (diagnoses). Admitting to the zoloft and strattera in the past will save you grief later. The FAA will either ask for records concerning the zoloft and an attending physicians statement from the prescribing doctor or ask for you to see a psychiatrist - or both. They may or may not require a FAA designated shrink. The worst case for you but a quick end to the wait would be the latter ... assuming the psychiatrist says you are mental disease free and fit to fly! (his report will be 2 pages!) My preference is to present the facts to the FAA and send nothing further until asked. Endure the 3 to 6 week wait - you will get a letter from them. Follow the letter's instructions precisely.
Another month to see the shrink ... another month for the FAA to decide. If you pass the shrink ... they mail you the certificate. Easy-peasy! ;)

ps normally there is a 3 to 6 month off antidepressants ... because you only too it for a couple of weeks this may or may not be an issue (the shrink will comment on this) In any event you can start and it will take 3 month at the least and 6 months at the most ... assuming i have been provided with the truth, the whoe truth and nothing but the truth! Also start lessons and my sure you LOVE flying and no latent anxiety surfaces! You do not have to have a medical certificate till solo ready - a dozen or 2 flight! LUCK!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back