Flight Simulators

NorCalSim

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NorCalSim
Would you use a flight simulator for training purposes?
What about IFR training and recurrency certs?

Yes. But not to the extent where bad habits are being introduced and reinforced.

Yes, and Yes.

Sims are quite useful for IFR. Much less so for VFR. They can teach you radio navigation, but just about everything else is different (except perhaps at the really general level).

I know you can't get a medical, but it's perfectly legal for you to take dual instruction with no medical. You just can't solo. It would be unusual, but if you're as interested as you say you are, it may be quite a lot of fun for you.

You may also be able to talk some of us local pilots into right seat time....though I haven't been out to Yuba City yet. I think you'll get more from an instructor, though. Sims are a poor (if quite a lot cheaper) substitute.

Maybe your medical problem is really obvious, but I'd encourage you to consult with an aviation medical examiner about it. There is something called a "special issuance" that can get you a medical for some medical problems, with appropriate documentation or demonstration. Dr. Bruce Chien (in the Chicago area) is the resident POA expert on such things.

For instance, some folks with controlled diabetes can get SIs.

Last edited:
Maybe your medical problem is really obvious, but I'd encourage you to consult with an aviation medical examiner about it. There is something called a "special issuance" that can get you a medical for some medical problems, with appropriate documentation or demonstration. Dr. Bruce Chien (in the Chicago area) is the resident POA expert on such things.

For instance, some folks with controlled diabetes can get SIs.

Many conditions are SI-able, not just diabetes.

NorCalSim, if you wish to share what's holding you back, we might be able to provide more info.

Or you can contact Dr. Bruce (who is in Peoria, not Chicago) directly via email and discuss your case. Dr. Bruce is well known about this and other forums as the right person to guide airmen who have challenging medical situations.

You make some good points to look into. Might be worth a shot if nothing else. It would be fun for sure.

thanks for the sugguestions!

Back