Flight Sim question.

gsfan23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gsfan23
Hello all. I'm finally able to get back to MTSU to finish my school, and get my IFR first. My question is this:
I have Microsoft FSX just to mess around with, but the joystick I have is very touchy, especially doing approaches. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good joystick to use? I have considered paying the money for an actual yolk/pedals/trim system. Are they worth it? Any insight to help my shopping would help.
200 actual flight hours are fast approaching.

Hello all. I'm finally able to get back to MTSU to finish my school, and get my IFR first. My question is this:
I have Microsoft FSX just to mess around with, but the joystick I have is very touchy, especially doing approaches. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good joystick to use? I have considered paying the money for an actual yolk/pedals/trim system. Are they worth it? Any insight to help my shopping would help.
200 actual flight hours are fast approaching.

I have FSX and I have the Saitek yoke, throttle and pedals. They work very well but it doesn't substitute for real flying IMO. You will get good at speaking over the radio though and another bonus is you will know where everything is.

I also used a Sidewinder joystick in the earlier days but the pedals and yoke is much better especially when it comes to landings.

I agree nothing replaces the feel of actual flying. I just like to practice approaches to get good at briefing them and actually flying them. Thanks for the input.

You can go into the control settings and adjust the joystick sensitivity on the joystick. You can also adjust the dead zone.

Tony

Well shoot. Didn't even think of that. Thanks. :D

Hi Gsfan.

You can / should get if you do not have one now, a digital joystick like the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro, Not the Plus, with the USB dongle, and CH Pro Pedals, best if you can get them on EBay or swap meet.
Both should cost less than $50.00. Adjust your Null zone to simulate the same, as close as you can, travel distance as the birds you fly and you are good to go.
I've tried many combinations over the years, including Motion and many sticks, yokes etc and this was the most reliable and best for practice Procedures. No Drives / CD needed use the win driver.
The Yokes tend to stick after a while and you have to be close to a desk / attach point, which can become problematic after a while. Post here for more info. TV

Last edited:
Back