Flight Service Station (FSS) Frequency

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by AggieMike88, Sep 2, 2010.

1. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Does anyone read this space anymore?
    I know this should be elementary chart reading, but it's been a long time since elementary school and I'm having a brain block on chart reading.

Reference the attached slice of sectional. I'm trying to figure out the frequency to contact the Fort Worth FSS so I could activate my flight plan while in the air.

AirNav.com for KDTO (my home airport) lists the FSS to be Fort Worth.

Looking in the front of the A/FD (Page 16, Communications), I think I got it figured out that the frequency to use is 122.2.

Is this correct?

Attached Files:

2. tonycondon

tonycondon Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)

Display name:
    Tony
    based on that small piece of chart i would use 122.6 over the Ft. Worth RCO, just south of the Alliance Class D.

3. JeffDG

JeffDG Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    JeffDG
    I'd probably use 122.6 (just to the left of the Ranger VOR, it lists that as the Fort Worth RCO)

4. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Does anyone read this space anymore?
    Ah-hah! I knew it was a simple thing!

Let me see if I'm getting these other examples correct.

For North Texas Regional/Perrin (GYI) it would be 122.3

For Paris, TX (PRX) it would be transmitting on 122.25, but listening over the Paris VORTAC (133.6).

Attached Files:

5. poadeleted20

poadeleted20 Deleted

Correct.

First, I think you meant 113.6 for Paris VORTAC. Second, you'd still listen on 122.25, not the VOR. If it were otherwise, there would be an "R" after the frequency on which they Receive (and you transmit), and typically, that's only 122.1. So, if you look at the box and it says "122.1R" where it says 122.25 on Paris, you'd talk on 122.1 on your comm radio and listen on 113.6 on your nav radio (and there are different buttons to push on your audio panel for that).

And yeah, I've even seen pilot up for their IR try to find 113.6 on their comm radio to listen in that situation. :doh:

6. COFlyBoy

COFlyBoy Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    COFlyBoy
    What the heck is the little box that says "Fort Worth FTW" for? It has an arrow pointing to a dot. It looks like it should be an RCO, but it doesn't say RCO or have a frequency.

7. poadeleted20

poadeleted20 Deleted

It's there to tell you that Ft Worth FSS is on the field at DFW. Note the RCO box with 122.5 a bit left and down from it. Apparently they have no antenna on the field at DFW, and their "by name" RCO is located off the airport.

8. SCCutler

SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    Close (and I know it was just a slip), but Ft. Worth FSS is at FTW, Meacham Field. One of only three places I have gotten a true in-person briefing, the other two being OSH and SJT.