Flight school recommendations in Los Angeles area

SkyAir

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SkyAir
Sorry if this question has been asked before. I did a search but couldn't find the info I'm looking for. Please help.

I've researching flight schools in Los Angeles county area. I narrowed it down to CalAir in Hawthorne and SoCal Flying Club in Brackett Field. Does anyone have experience with them? Good, bad, pros, cons?

CalAir uses Cirrus. SoCal flying club uses Diamond. Should the type of airplane be taken into consideration also? I'm very new here. Looking to get my PPl.

Thanks for your help.

I would recommend giving Beach Cities (also at Hawthorne) a chance. I am doing my MEI with them right now and have been very impressed with their instructors. Their rates are reasonable (but know they fly older cessna aircraft - no Cirrus).

Are you necessarily looking to train in newer aircraft (and your training budget is generous)? I'm in the camp that believes initial (primary) training is best done in aircraft with basic instrumentation and avionics. You will build basic flying skills which will always serve you well instead of depending on the smart airplane. Also, people flew the same missions with GA aircraft as we do now with a lot less. Why, all of a sudden, we can't do it without the latest technology? Hopefully, you are farsighted and willing to take on a great challenge.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back