Flight Review and Flight Safety....Related?

Fast n' Furious

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iJustLanded
I'm interested in peoples opinion of the current biennial flight review program and their perception of whether the program helps to foster a GA safety culture, or are we just filling a square? Is the program sufficient by itself, does it need augmentation with programs like Wings or others, or is the the program in need of a major overhaul to meet the challenges of GA today? What say you? :dunno:

Last edited:
Well John, I do the wings progam when i need a Biannual. But i did do my last one with Ed G.(really like flying with him)

Dave G :blueplane:

Shipoke said:
Did you mean "biennial," Dave?

IMO, the Biennial Flight Review seems to keep pilots proficient, or that's the purpose at least.

....in many other cases, pilots do it just to keep current, even if they haven't flown in the past 2 years. In that case, it really defeats the purpose of the "review" if you haven't flown and gained experience and kept all the flying material and knowledge fresh in your brain.

I find that many people who do the Wings program [itself and/or in conjunction with a BFR] and attend FAA Safety meetings tend to be the "regulars" in the sky that you see at the airport all the time or at least the pilots flying weekly/monthly.

Jason

Last edited:
John. I think the BFR program can work, but a lot of instructors, myself included, need to get a lot more serious about them. I have come to that realization in the last few months.
In our glider club, all club members must complete a "spring checkout" with an instructor before starting flying for the year. Of course, most of the guys haven't flown all winter and their proficiency is low. This is the most important time to fly with an instructor, when your proficiency is low. Perhaps the FAA could come up with some sort of measure, like if you don't have the 3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days, you must get current with an instructor. That way the guys who hardly fly are getting seen by instructors. Thats just a possibility, im sure there are better ideas out there.

tonycondon said:
John. I think the BFR program can work, but a lot of instructors, myself included, need to get a lot more serious about them. I have come to that realization in the last few months.
In our glider club, all club members must complete a "spring checkout" with an instructor before starting flying for the year. Of course, most of the guys haven't flown all winter and their proficiency is low. This is the most important time to fly with an instructor, when your proficiency is low. Perhaps the FAA could come up with some sort of measure, like if you don't have the 3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days, you must get current with an instructor. That way the guys who hardly fly are getting seen by instructors. Thats just a possibility, im sure there are better ideas out there.

Because of the higher demands that's the concept the FAA uses for IFR pilots. They can do it on their own unless they go over a year and lapse, then they've gotta do dual with a CFII.

For VFR, I think it's good the way it is now with the BFR. No matter what is required, some are gonna fall through the floorboards so best not to have overly demanding requirements with costs on everyone.

I don't believe that I've gotten much out of the few BFR's I've gotten in the last decade or two, but I do expect that for pilots flying fewer than 100 hrs per year that might go for several years without any training it's marginally effective.

It's what you make it.

Younger pilot, or not flying much, it's a great refresher.

If you're current, hit the books a lot and fly often, you probably don't need a brush up on basics, but my instructor knows this and we chose something to work on. Helps both of us.

Dave

Fast n' Furious said:
I'm interested in peoples opinion of the current biennial flight review program and their perception of whether the program helps to foster a GA safety culture, or are we just filling a square? Is the program sufficient by itself, does it need augmentation with programs like Wings or others, or is the the program in need of a major overhaul to meet the challenges of GA today? What say you? :dunno:
I agree, that's a good question. My clock got reset with my RH rating. Hello? Does that make sense? The idea isn't bad, but should the clock get reset with, let's say, a balloon rating? Or should it be reset with a helo rating? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me...

Or, come to think of it, should a powered parachute rating extend my helo rating? Or my airplane rating?

tonycondon said:
John. I think the BFR program can work, but a lot of instructors, myself included, need to get a lot more serious about them.

Amen. That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the question. It's all in the hands of the CFI.

Back