Flight Planning Question

John221us

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
John
I am based at KLHM (Lincoln, CA) and am flying to Eureka (KACV) tomorrow afternoon. I have a half marathon in Humboldt on Sunday morning and I need to be in San Francisco on Sunday night (actually Monday morning, early) through Wednesday. Here are my choices:

1) Fly back to KLHM on Sunday afternoon and drive to San Francisco (about 100 miles).
2) Fly to Oakland Sunday afternoon, park the plane and take BART to San Francisco (I am not sure about the plane's security or what the overnight fees would look like and BART would probably take most of an hour, I am guessing, but I have never used BART).
3) Fly to Concord Sunday afternoon, park the plane and take BART to San Francisco.

I don't have any experience with Oakland or Concord or BART. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to fly back to my hangar and drive, but I am usually up for an adventure.

Not clear of the difference between #2 or #3. Have you parked the plane at Concord before? Think you're legs will be okay after the marathon? (I'd be exhausted afterwards) can't you fly directly up to KSFO (I believe some recommended it to Kimberly to do it)

Not clear of the difference between #2 or #3. Have you parked the plane at Concord before? Think you're legs will be okay after the marathon? (I'd be exhausted afterwards) can't you fly directly up to KSFO (I believe some recommended it to Kimberly to do it)

That was kind of what I was fishing for. SFO is definately not a GA friendly airport. OAK has a GA field separate from the commercial field, but I am a little worried about security. I think the plane might be safer at CCR, but I don't know if the ride in on BART is significantly different between OAK and CCR. Of course the safest place for my plane is back in my hangar and then just drive to the city, but that may not be as fun.

I'd do the Concord thing. Concord to SF (Embarcadero) is about a 43 minute ride on BART.
Oakland airport would be good too, only 20 minutes on BART but Concord is closer to your home 'drome (a nice one BTW, I've flown in there).

Thanks, great info! BTW, if it was a full marathon, I would be worried, but it is only a 1/2, so I should be fine.

I'd do the Concord thing. Concord to SF (Embarcadero) is about a 43 minute ride on BART.
Oakland airport would be good too, only 20 minutes on BART but Concord is closer to your home 'drome (a nice one BTW, I've flown in there).

This.

I think I'd do OAK, a bit closer to SF, 'full service' FBOs who will probably shuttle you to BART(or call you a cab) I've never overnighted at OAK, just a day trip and used Business Jet Center and was all fine. I'd pull up the 3 FBOs (Airnav looks correct) and give them a call for prices. Looks like about 25 minutes on BART from the nearest station to OAK into the SF/Civic Center station(obviously depends on where you're going in SF)

Another option, depending on where you're going in SF, would be to go into SQL(south of SFO) and take a cab to CalTrain or Milbrae BART. SQL was $10/night last I checked and the fuel was definitely cheaper than OAK. SQL has a nice terminal but not an upscale FBO that will call cabs for you, so ground transportation is on your own.And the only approach is a GPS/RNAV.

KCCR, KOAK, and KHWD have BART stations. Security wise, the only thing I heard recently is that meth guy who stole the airplane at KCCR and crashed in Fresno.

KCCR, KOAK, and KHWD have BART stations. Security wise, the only thing I heard recently is that meth guy who stole the airplane at KCCR and crashed in Fresno.

Good Point, I remember that one.

You prolly know that ground fog at KACV might be an issue for coming home on time.

Yes, it looks like it will clear in the afternoon and I really don't have to be there until Monday morning, so no rush.

I think I'd do OAK, a bit closer to SF, 'full service' FBOs who will probably shuttle you to BART(or call you a cab) I've never overnighted at OAK, just a day trip and used Business Jet Center and was all fine. I'd pull up the 3 FBOs (Airnav looks correct) and give them a call for prices. Looks like about 25 minutes on BART from the nearest station to OAK into the SF/Civic Center station(obviously depends on where you're going in SF)

Another option, depending on where you're going in SF, would be to go into SQL(south of SFO) and take a cab to CalTrain or Milbrae BART. SQL was $10/night last I checked and the fuel was definitely cheaper than OAK. SQL has a nice terminal but not an upscale FBO that will call cabs for you, so ground transportation is on your own.And the only approach is a GPS/RNAV.

Good points, but there does appear to be a good FBO in CCR, as well. I am still a bit on the fence, though leaning toward CCR, but I have flight planned both.

I made it to Arcata. I am now leaning toward Oakland after talking to a friend. He said BART can take longer on weekends.

Another option is to fly to Half Moon Bay and drive to the City. There is no on field car rental at KHAF but Enterprise will hook you up. SFO is out of the question - high landing fees and limited GA support.

Oakland is fine too.

I love HAF, but it is too far. I am doing this so I don't have to fly back to Lincoln and drive it, plus maybe I will learn something. I have a 3 day conference in SF.

Went to Oakland. 1/2 hour delay on BART for a medical emergency, though. I guess it isn't just airplanes that can have unexpected delays :)

I love HAF, but it is too far. I am doing this so I don't have to fly back to Lincoln and drive it, plus maybe I will learn something. I have a 3 day conference in SF.

I know another POA person who is here (I work in Sausalito so you're "here" with me now). This other person is in a conference for three days. Wonder if it is the same conference?

I know another POA person who is here (I work in Sausalito so you're "here" with me now). This other person is in a conference for three days. Wonder if it is the same conference?

Could be. It is the Citrix Partner Summit, which is followed by Synergy, so it actually goes all week. I am leaving tomorrow, though. I didn't bother to check the rates, but Business Jet Center was recommended to me. They were great when I landed and gave me an immediate ride over to the BART station along with some helpful hints. My schedule is tight or I would invite you for a flight.

Could be. It is the Citrix Partner Summit, which is followed by Synergy, so it actually goes all week. I am leaving tomorrow, though. I didn't bother to check the rates, but Business Jet Center was recommended to me. They were great when I landed and gave me an immediate ride over to the BART station along with some helpful hints. My schedule is tight or I would invite you for a flight.

That is nice of you, I am actually going to a meeting up North to learn about flour bombing / rubber chicken bombing.

If you and this other POA person were at the same conference, and did have free time, I was going to suggest we all go for a beer or something. Not a flight. But the other one doesn't drink I don't think.

Ok, my PIREP:
Business Jet Center in Oakland is a great outfit. They dropped me off at BART and picked me up, three days later (you have to call from the train). I bought 10 gallons of gas and there did not appear to be any other fees. They were very friendly and I would definately use them again.

Back