Flight over Lake Michigan?

You're better off with a 'hiking' GPS instead of a car GPS. They'll tell you your groundspeed, course, heading, etc. Works pretty much just like an aviation GPS except you have to manually enter the longitudes and latitudes.
Take a look at the Lowrance 600 ($399) or see if you can find a used aviation GPS. The cost are about the same as a new car one. The Lowrance 600 even comes with an auto database. The Garmin X96 tend to be very high priced.

I also know one FBO that rents 396's with WX activated on a reasonable weekly rate. They are at 3CK (NW Chicago) if you are interested.

Yeah. I'm just VFR, I ment I could fly on the instruments if it were still legal VFR wx.

Rash?? I don't know. I saw your profile picture - you're a little furry for my liking :)

Rash?? I don't know. I saw your profile picture - you're a little furry for my liking :)

ROLMAO NICK you done got slammed!!!:rofl: Oh man " a little furry" Just snarfed on my desk. Tabrina welcome to POA!!!

Furry:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: she called him furry!

I also forgot about the guys in the cub that went down just of the Chicago shoreline one died one survived I think they were on their way back from Osh.

NICK!!!! Oh well, gotta love him anyway. ;)

At 45 hours, I would definitely suggest to go the conservative route and going around the lake. Besides, getting some experience around a bravo is really good practice, and that by itself will be worth a lot. As you work towards your instrument training (and then get your instrument rating), little things like seeing where you're going don't become as big of a deal. You could probably do the instruments just fine, but (and here's the infamous "what if" thing) you get an instrument failure while in effective IMC (heavy haze)? I see issues with this. Your chances of engine failure are slim. I think my biggest concern in your situation would be, if conditions got uncomfortable, you were dedicated to either finish the trip to the other side, or turn around and go home. When there's the possibility of a marginal trip, I try to make sure there are a bunch of airports on the way where I can land and then rent a car or make other arrangements.

I have about 105 TT. Last night I flew down to KTHV and back (about 80 nm each way). Coming home, the sun was beginning to set. It was a pretty hazy evening out, and it was getting darker, that really annoying light level where things get obscured (worse because of haze). It was still definite VFR, but at 5500 MSL (which meant something around 4500-5000 AGL), the ground was not hugely visible. However, I know the area, know all the navigation facilities, and had several places I could have touched down on the route. I'm also over half done with my instrument training and, if worst came to worst and I REALLY screwed up, getting into hard IMC, I did have my approach plates with me and ATC on flight following.

As to the GPS thing - several of my friends have 496s and love them, especially the XM weather bit. Pricey, yes, but part of it depends on what your goal with the GPS is. Personally, I try to work off of whatever navigational aids I have built in to the plane. Looking out the window is the best one. If the ground disappears, you probably have other issues. I also suggest that you try to have ATC on the line as much as possible for flight following. If nothing else, it's good practice so that when you go for your IR, you're already used to talking to them.

Nicely played!

FWIW, my profile picture is actually not me, despite the striking resemblance:

profilepic79_5.gif

nickpiperlake.jpg

I'm the one with 2 legs. :D

Another question for the wise - I'm taking my boyfriend with me and he's set on getting a GPS for the trip, but he doesn't want to spend the money on an aviation one. So we're thinking of getting a car GPS as a backup to my reckoning and the GPS in the plane. Any thoughts? Will a car GPS work at all just for lattitude/longitude in case we get lost? I'm a little worried that I'll be going too fast for it or that it'll freak out because I won't be over roads the whole way.

Thanks for all your input!!

As Jesse mentioned, go for a 'hiking' type of GPS instead of the car-type. I played around with our rinky-dink Lowrance handheld GPS that we use for GeoCaching on our way to Sidnaw, MI last year. It struggled to keep up with refresh rate when REALLY zoomed in (<.2mi), but other than that it worked well. On most handhelds, you can even search for a city and it will give you coords which will at least get you close to the airport. I think ours will even give you somewhat of turn-by-turn directions for driving as well (although not voice).

I think the one we got (obsolete now I'm sure) was <$150 a few years ago. We had a Garmin eTrex Legend previously. Got it at Scheels for $150. I really liked it, until it got stolen out of Rachel's car. :mad:

I'm torn. If I go over, the plane probably won't die and I'll be just fine. I'll save $150 and about an hour and a half round-trip. But it's kind-of a battle between my logic which says go for it, and my gut instinct that says go around. I'm pretty sure I'll be making this flight a lot, but for now I think I'm going to play it safe. I've got less than 45 hours of flight time, and at the moment only 1.5 in a Cherokee - I scream inexperience, and while I think I could fly a strait line IFR across the lake just fine, it'll be challenge enough for this to be my first flight longer than 3 hours.

So I think in the future I will fly over the lake, but this time I think the odds are stacked up against me a little too much for my comfort.

Another question for the wise - I'm taking my boyfriend with me and he's set on getting a GPS for the trip, but he doesn't want to spend the money on an aviation one. So we're thinking of getting a car GPS as a backup to my reckoning and the GPS in the plane. Any thoughts? Will a car GPS work at all just for lattitude/longitude in case we get lost? I'm a little worried that I'll be going too fast for it or that it'll freak out because I won't be over roads the whole way.

Good thinking. I might suggest RENTING an aviation GPS. I think there's a place called GPS World that will do them.

You can also ask to borrow one (even on here). I've got a Garmin 96C that I loan out to folks, if they'll pay for the shipping. So far I've yet to be treated badly by a fellow pilot.

The purpose of the GPS is just to serve as a backup for now, then later (when I get a full time job and actually have money) I'll get a good aviation one.

Much better, Nick. Besides, if I were to pick a muppet, Fozzie bear would be far from the top of my list. I'm more of a Beaker kind of girl.

If the GPS is a backup, then it's like a handgun - you don't need it until you REALLY need it. And in that case you might want the aviation one, no?

true...I might conseder renting one. I'm going on a short x-country this weekend. The plan is to buy a decent car or hiking GPS and see how it works in the plane. If it turns out to be a poor judge of position, I'll probably rent/borrow/beg.

true...I might conseder renting one. I'm going on a short x-country this weekend. The plan is to buy a decent car or hiking GPS and see how it works in the plane. If it turns out to be a poor judge of position, I'll probably rent/borrow/beg.
During my poorer days I used to buy a hiking GPS from walmart and then I'd return it after the flying trip. Eventually I got more confident in my X/C skills and went without for a long time.

tabrina your boyfriend makes good money. tell him if he loves you and wants to travel safely with you you need at least a 396.

Crossed it more times than I can remember in a Cherokee 180.

Just for info - about what percentage of the crossing were made with a solid visual horizon? I'm 0 for 1 - was it just bad luck?

(The plan was to cross at 10k - but we ended up at more like 100 feet to maintain ground reference - not many instruments in an old Cessna 120)

fly with one once. then it will seem totally worth it.

2) FWIW I can only recall two (2) planes down in LM in the past 3-5 years both fatals. First was the college kid who ran out of fuel short of the WI shore line and called 911 while stading on the wing somewhere in the lake. Totally preventable and moronic.

That is the one I was trying to remember. He was from the NoVA area (or he went to school here...). Very sad. He did make the call, and apparently they found his phone but didn't find him.

nope. We have them in the 421's and its sooo nice having weather downlink in the cockpit.

Don't you also have an IFR GPS in those?

Don't you also have an IFR GPS in those?
Why would it matter? a standard IFR GPS doesn't have weather. I know that's why we got the 496, even though almost all the planes we fly have IFR GPS. Plus, of course, it makes a VERY good backup GPS.

Just for info - about what percentage of the crossing were made with a solid visual horizon? I'm 0 for 1 - was it just bad luck?

(The plan was to cross at 10k - but we ended up at more like 100 feet to maintain ground reference - not many instruments in an old Cessna 120)

Probably 95% of the time I could make out the other shoreline before I lost sight of the one I was leaving.

I'd agree, if VFR, I've rarely lost site of one shore or another.

I saw something pretty cool a couple weeks ago flying back to WI from Grand Rapids. I fly direct from GRR to STE which takes me over Muskegon on the MI side and Sheboygan Falls on the WI side. As I climbed out from GRR I started to make out the Chicago skyline passing through 4000 ft... I kept it in sight all the way across the pond, and not just the skyline, but I could easily make out individual buildings against the sunset. Once home I measured the distance and it came out to be around 95nm. Wish I would have had a camera.

Depends on the standard. My KLN90B does not have WX but I am pretty sure Garmin 430 or 530 can
Yes, it can, but it doesn't come standard with the XM antenna or the GDL 69A and I don't personally know of anyone using them that way. The 496, though, comes with the XM antenna, so you just need to add the subscription.

The following weather products are available for display on the GNS 430 unit via the Weather Data Link interface:
• NEXRAD Data
• Graphical METAR Data
• Text-based METAR Data
• Graphical Temperature/Dewpoint Data
• Graphical Wind Data
GNS 430 units can interface with the GDL 49 or the GDL 69/69A. The GNS 430 unit provides the display and control interface for the textual and graphical weather data link.
Satellite up-linked textual and graphical weather data is received by the GDL 49 on a request/reply basis. Transmissions are made using bursts of compressed data at a rate of 4800 bps. Weather data transmissions are streamed directly to the GDL 69/69A from the XM Satellite Radio network.

I'd agree, if VFR, I've rarely lost site of one shore or another.

I saw something pretty cool a couple weeks ago flying back to WI from Grand Rapids. I fly direct from GRR to STE which takes me over Muskegon on the MI side and Sheboygan Falls on the WI side. As I climbed out from GRR I started to make out the Chicago skyline passing through 4000 ft... I kept it in sight all the way across the pond, and not just the skyline, but I could easily make out individual buildings against the sunset. Once home I measured the distance and it came out to be around 95nm. Wish I would have had a camera.

Coming back from BUU, I could make out the lights of Lansing, MI before we got to the shoreline - on the Wisconsin side. Every once in a while you get one of those clear days/nights. around here.

I have a Garmin Legend CX which is just a GPS. You can download City Navigator and it will route you on road trips just fine, with pop-ups to tell you when to turn and everything. I use it on my motorcycle. It also works great in the airplane if you tell it to go "off road". Then it will simply indicate a straight course between point A and point B. It even has a bearing setting which has a compass rose and a course indicator that will tell you if you stray off course. It looks a lot like the VOR indicator. I like it with the City Navigator, because it gives a lot more detail to the screen so that you can actually see landmarks, like roads and rail road tracks. This helps a lot, because I tend to use roads as identifiers. Sometimes if I'm bored, I switch it to routing by roads, and the thing goes nuts on me because I'm not following the route, but as soon as I turn it back to off road, it straightens out. There are any number of data fields, but ones that I like are "ground speed", "distance to destination" and "estimated time of arrival." Those two help me determine when I need to start calling out when I am approaching the airport. By the way, if you have city navigator installed, it shows the airports. It has a memory card, and 2 gigs will hold the whole lower 48 with all the roads from City Navigator. Granted, it is not an aviation specific outfit, but it is very versatile and will adapt itself well to aviation if you don't need it for approaches and the like. If all your going to do is navigate, I can't see where you loose anything. It also has an altimeter setting, which is handy sometimes. On last thing, the speeds and distances are in statute miles, so you need to keep that in mind too.

Last edited:
That is the one I was trying to remember. He was from the NoVA area (or he went to school here...). Very sad. He did make the call, and apparently they found his phone but didn't find him.

He was going to school near Watertown, WI. 19 years old. I thought he was originally from this area as well, but I'm not sure about that.

I do, however, know a LOT about this accident. It hit kind of close to home - N5360F is in my logbook. I have a DVD that has full audio of his discussions with ATC and 911, starting with his first inquiry to MKE approach as to whether there was fuel available at MWC at night. It also has video from the dive to retrieve the airplane - It was nearly undamaged, the spinner was cracked because the plane hit the bottom of the lake nose-first after it sank, and there was a small portion of the leading edge of one wing that was crushed inwards. The diver swims around the plane, and looks off the end of the wing, where the still-open cell phone is lying on the bottom of the lake as well.

I just got my PPL, and I'm planning a flight from Cedar Rapids, IA to Mancelona, MI here in a couple of weeks in a Piper Cherokee 180. I'm debating whether I should fly over the lake or just to go down south around Chicago. If I were to fly up north across the lake, I would take the thinnest part (about 52 miles by my calculation) - but even from 10,000 feet I won't be able to glide to land if my engine quits in the middle of the lake (it turns out the Cherokee doesn't make a very good glider :)
That and I'm not even sure I can legally fly over the lake without the proper life boats and such. According to FAR 91.509 I can, but I've been told by other pilots that it's not allowed unless I can glide to land.

Any advice from the wiser, more experienced pilots of POA?

Part 91, and not fractional, if you're legal to fly over land, you're legal to fly over the lake.

I've flown over the lake a number of times, including several in a single. My personal "lake protocol" is as follows:

1) Between July 1 and Labor Day. The lake is warmest later, but during this time period it's warm enough to last a little while, and there are a lot of boats in the water so even if you can't make shore, hopefully you can ditch in front of one. This works best on weekends, of course.

2) As high as possible. The *lowest* I have ever crossed in a single is 12,000 feet. I have gone to 13,500. I usually cross the shoreline in the neighborhood of 9,000 feet, and I begin descending when I'm easily within gliding range of the other shore. I haven't used oxygen - If I had it, I'd maybe even climb higher. I cross from Manitowoc to Muskegon, which results in about 44nm over water.

3) Either IFR or on VFR flight following. I want to be already talking to somebody if something goes wrong, to get emergency services launched ASAP.

4) KNOW thy airplane! Whoever said "maintain a 500fpm descent" is either flying a very slick airframe, or hasn't tested what their plane will do power off. I have done a lot of "test piloting" in the planes I fly relating to best glide, and in an Archer I get about 800 fpm power off, while in the 182 I get close to 1000fpm at "best glide" and 800 or so at an approximation of minimum sink airspeed (which will gain you time, but take away some of the distance you can glide). I even made a spreadsheet to figure out what altitudes I'd need to fly for zero exposure. The Archer turned out to be about 13,700 feet, the 182 was a couple thousand higher. I figure I have only around two minutes of exposure time at 13,500 in the 182.

5) KNOW where the exact turn-back point should be (that will get you to the closest shore). I did a bunch of measuring on a line on the sectional to find the halfway point - Once you do that, adjust for winds aloft. Preferably, use a GPS to determine actual winds aloft in flight and readjust. This is also a good reason to have a GPS, as you can then tell exactly where you are in relation to the turn-back point. Monitor this until you cross it so you know instantly whether to turn around or keep going if something happens. (Engine may quit, or not - Fires, medical emergencies, whatever...)

Finally, I do have a GPS-equipped 406MHz PLB, and usually carry life jackets in the plane when I make the hop.

There are those who say "the plane doesn't know you're flying over water" but failures do happen, and in this case the penalties can be severe. A cold bath sounds like a highly unpleasant way to die. As with all flying, while you can't eliminate risk entirely, the steps above make the risk level acceptable for me. Hopefully they'll help you to come up with your own criteria when you decide to try the crossing. :yes:

OBTW, just for kicks, pull the power and do a sustained power-off glide at Vg in the Cherokee to see how it performs. My glide spreadsheet is posted on the board somewhere, you might be able to find it in a search. That'll tell you a lot.

4) KNOW thy airplane! Whoever said "maintain a 500fpm descent" is either flying a very slick airframe, or hasn't tested what their plane will do power off. I have done a lot of "test piloting" in the planes I fly relating to best glide, and in an Archer I get about 800 fpm power off, while in the 182 I get close to 1000fpm at "best glide" and 800 or so at an approximation of minimum sink airspeed (which will gain you time, but take away some of the distance you can glide). I even made a spreadsheet to figure out what altitudes I'd need to fly for zero exposure. The Archer turned out to be about 13,700 feet, the 182 was a couple thousand higher. I figure I have only around two minutes of exposure time at 13,500 in the 182.

Excellent point - V(best glide) and V(minimum sink) are two different speeds. If you're in range of shore, then best glide matters. If you haven't got a prayer of staying dry, and rescue's on the way, then TIME may be more important, and minimum sink is better.

Barry Schiff was talking about this in AOPA pilot a while back - a good article.

If you have a palm or laptop just get a GPS reciever $100 from Delorme then plug it into your palm or laptop and you get plenty of info for a CC. Then when your ready get a program like Chartcase and you will have a full EFB with all charts and plates for the USA. Go anywhere anytime. I never leave home without it.

Dan

There are risks. I have hugged the shoreline a couple times. But I have gone GRR to ARR direct on several occasions in a Skyhawk.:blueplane:

Schoolcraft to Mackinac bridge is not really open water is it? The amount of water your over is less than a small lake. and adds very little to the trip if you are going to Schoolcraft anyway.

Dan

I was talking about a flight when the weather precluded going high, e.g. a VFR flight under a 1200 ft ceiling.

Across the UP you can easily stay over land but there's no way to cross the Mackinac Straights without leaving the dry ground behind, as landing on the bridge would be rather dicey.

1) Tabrina I personally think you made a good choice based upon your experience and all of the other factors you mentioned. Just like they say its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground its probably better to be over land wishing you had taken the over water route. Plus it won't be helpful for you to be over 50 min of water stressing the entire time. There will be other opportunites.

2) FWIW I can only recall two (2) planes down in LM in the past 3-5 years both fatals. First was the college kid who ran out of fuel short of the WI shore line and called 911 while stading on the wing somewhere in the lake. Totally preventable and moronic. and The other Was the Univ of Mich Transplant team in the citation. Dont' know what happened there.

I read somewhere that there's an average of 5-10 planes that end up in the great lakes each year with very few successful rescues. Don't have a quotable source though. I suspect that many simply don't make the national news. OTOH, the flights over the great lakes probably number in the tens of thousands per year (or more) so the odds aren't all that bad. Like I said before it's not the odds, it's the consequences. I can say I was more tolerant of the exposure when I didn't have a child along, I can't think of a more painful death than helplessly watching you kids develop hypothermia (rather painful in itself) and drown because I took a shortcut. IMO, the simplest way to mitigate the risk is to carry a raft and know how to use it.

Last edited:
Look at the Lowrance 600 Very inexpensive and it's a full blown aviation GPS

There are also lots of used aviation GPS units available for reasonable cost. As Nick said, an automotive only unit wouldn't be a good choice. A hiking GPS should be fine. They will all deal with the speed and altitude you will experience in any GA plane. Even the automotive units will track successfully going fast and high but they do like to stick you on a nearby road.

If you do use a non-aviation unit, be sure to bring a printed listing of airport lat/lon for the areas you intend to fly over.

Back