Flight of Two - defn

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
If you report in as a fot, what are the expectations or requirements on spacing?

A) maintain visual sep? (I was looking at an airplane 20mi away last night, pondering this)

B ) a certain mileage?

C) "there is no law yet, don't screw up so that someone decides we need yet another law"

D) other

Basically ATC treats you as one plane - the lead pilot does all the communications and all in the group are expected to comply. All but lead should have transponders in standby. Spacing is whatever you want, but should be in failrly close proximity.

A- yep
B - nope - up to you, but if you are miles apart, you aren't really a flight of 2.
C - yep - There is something in the FARs or AIM, but not sure where.
D - no bumper tag allowed :) If you plan to do this, I strongly suggest some formation training. Ground pre-briefing is REQUIRED, can't just form up as an afterthought in-flight (I know that is mentioned in the FAR or AIM noted above)

By definition in the P/CG, a "standard" formation has all aircraft within one mile horizontally and 100 feet vertically of the lead aircraft. Intraflight spacing and separation is entirely the concern of the Flight Lead, not ATC -- you can be as close or as far apart as you want as long as everyone stays within 1 mile/100 feet of Lead. ATC assumes standard unless told otherwise by Lead. Any formation that extends more than 1 mile/100 feet is a "nonstandard" formation and must be identified as such to ATC, and coordinated appropriately, usually with an Altitude Reservation (ALTRV) if operating under IFR.

BTW, in nonstandard formations, aircraft other than lead may be directed to have transponders on so ATC can see the extent of the formation's size.

Back