Flight Lessons For Barter?

brooklyn26point2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
brooklyn26point2
Hi everyone, After following this site for a while and pining for flight lessons, decided it was time to pee (first draft had this word deleted) or get off the pot. Would love to take flight lessons toward a PPL, but the few shreds of fiscal prudence that I do possess keep that from happening, probably for the better (I work on social policy in the public sector and am about to pursue a PhD, making flight lessons increasingly unaffordable).

That said, my desire to fly has not disappeared. So, have you heard of CFI's willing to barter for flight time? More specifically, especially if someone here would have any interest or knows someone that would - I possess skills valued only by a niche of the population. Most notably, I am an experienced running coach (can get into details in a separate conversation). I can also do just about any statistical analysis that you can think of or ask for. Not terribly valuable skills should there be a zombie apocalypse, but perhaps someone here has a need for a quantitative analysis of their marathon training. Can be very flexible, would just love to get in the flight time.

If anyone here has any interest at all or knows someone that may, either respond here or shoot me a private message. Thanks!

Even if you get an instructor to trade skills. Someone still has to pay for the gas/classroom (ie; the airplane) Doubt any instructor is going to do that...

Good Luck...

Appy for work at a flight school. They may offer an employee rate in exchange for working a few hours a week in unskilled labors.

Thank you all for the recommendations. FlySince9, would definitely be willing to discuss covering fuel, oil, etc.

And, did not know about the soaring clubs. Will look into them.

Thanks again.

Hey running coaches can make good money if you market right =)

Best of luck to you!

Hi everyone, After following this site for a while and pining for flight lessons, decided it was time to pee (first draft had this word deleted) or get off the pot. Would love to take flight lessons toward a PPL, but the few shreds of fiscal prudence that I do possess keep that from happening, probably for the better (I work on social policy in the public sector and am about to pursue a PhD, making flight lessons increasingly unaffordable).

Ho, that's a problem if you want to do aviation, it may even be disqualifying on your medical.:rofl:

Seriously, if you're 'broke azz', look at Ultralights. They're the only 'fiscally responsible' way to fly for fun. I recommend you go with an Eiper product because they have been around a long time and are known to me as quality craft, but there are others as good.

Yes, I've heard of instructors bartering for their time, often accepting the use of the trainee's plane in exchange for training in that plane, but that doesn't seem to be your situation. No, I've never heard of one trading flight instruction for running instruction/coaching, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

I've seen it done but since you have not posted where you live we really can't give you any direction, Ironically I know marathoners who are also CFIs but if you live in Kentucky and they are in Boston thats not going to help you.

I've seen it done but since you have not posted where you live we really can't give you any direction, Ironically I know marathoners who are also CFIs but if you live in Kentucky and they are in Boston thats not going to help you.

Ho, that's a problem if you want to do aviation, it may even be disqualifying on your medical.:rofl:

Seriously, if you're 'broke azz', look at Ultralights. They're the only 'fiscally responsible' way to fly for fun. I recommend you go with an Eiper product because they have been around a long time and are known to me as quality craft, but there are others as good.

I run a pretty low cost operation with my little homebuilt LSA - Hangar and insurance are the big expenses. (I bought it already flying for about the price of a new engine.)

Henning there was another post where you mentioned ULs in the sub 5k range. Sorry dude, that myth is busted.

I run a pretty low cost operation with my little homebuilt LSA - Hangar and insurance are the big expenses. (I bought it already flying for about the price of a new engine.)

I know they aren't this cheap any more, but I got the original Quicksilver with the high performance 25hp 2 cyl Chrysler engine new in 1981 for $2500. There were no other costs involved, no tests, no lessons, no checkride fees. Took me and a buddy 2 weeks to put both of them together working after school and after work.

Henning there was another post where you mentioned ULs in the sub 5k range. Sorry dude, that myth is busted.

Really? Let me introduce you to some mythical creatures then. These are on the first 3 of many pages of Ultralights on Barnstormers alone. The top one is a prime candidate.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
MX SPORT QUICKSILVER • $4,000 • AVAILABLE FOR TRADE MX sport is nice. Trade for 3 engines: 1/2 vw engines and 447 or 503 or nice jetski with trailer. • Contact Butch M. Poole, Owner - located Milton, FL USA • Telephone: 850-308-6018 . • Posted April 14, 2012 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdFinance New Lower Rates!

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ROTEC RALLY 2B 195GPS • $2,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE Rotec Rally 2B 195GPS hulls airspeed indicator extra air frame. needs prop runs great. • Contact Randy J. Evick, Owner - located Wheeling, WV USA • Telephone: 2042155177 . • Posted April 14, 2012

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ULTRALIGHT AIRCRAFT • $4,800 • FOR SALE Mini Max by Team Engineering. Mid Wing aircraft with very nice construction! It has a 4 cycle Mosler engine with a stroked crank rated at 40hp. It was first flown in 2007. Contact Charlie Alsdorf, owner of the aircraft, at 814-720-0288 for more info. $4800 or reasonable offer! • Contact Roger L. Runyan, Friend of Owner - located Carlton, PA USA • Telephone: 814-425-8234 . 814-425-3859 • Posted April 12, 2012

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1993 CHALLENGER 1 CWS • $3,995 • BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL N615BR, 447, 327 TTAE. Flying, in annual. Needs minor repairs, have the parts. Many extras included • Contact Steve Newcombe, Owner - located Wentzville, MO USA • Telephone: 636 332 6397 • Posted April 12, 2012

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]H3 PEGASUS • $5,000 • FOR SALE 503 rotax,6hrs, vfr instr, recovered wings , grnd adj gsc 2blade prop,6 gallon tank, needs tlc • Contact John L. Osborn, Friend of Owner - located Goodwine, IL USA • Telephone: 815-383-0457 • Posted April 11, 2012

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MIRAGE ULTRALIGHT • $2,995 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE Mirage Ultralight. Cuyuna 430 tractor w/40hrs SMOH, new 3 blade prop and spinner, Phantom suspension, disc brakes, new sails. Wings disassembled for storage. Must sell! $2995 obo. Contact Brian @ 717-379-1649. •

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PIONEER FLIGHTSTAR ULTRALIGHT • $3,500 • FOR SALE 440 Kawasaki free air single carb. Recent new seals & gaskets. Chute. 457hrs.Hangared.Ready to fly. • Contact Marlin M. Zimmerman, Owner - located Richland, PA USA • Telephone: 717 672 1012 . 717 866 5323 •

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
MINI-MAX 1100 • $3,500 • FOR SALE BY BUILDER Excellent condition. Original owner/builder. Rotax 447, VFR gauges, brakes, always hangared. Flies regularly. Painted in WWII training colors. • Contact Philip T. Duff, Owner - located Joliet, IL USA • Telephone: 815-725-7861 • Posted April 10, 2012 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger PicturesFinance New Lower Rates!
1x1.gif

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
would definitely be willing to discuss covering fuel, oil, etc.
I am afraid there is much more to it than fuel, oil, wear/tear/maintenance on an aircraft costs a bundle. Even if you get an instructor for free you will still be left with 60-70% of the cost.

Ive done that before, usually with A&Ps who trade a annual for some time in my plane, construction guys have good luck too (hrs plus material for CFI plus plane type deals), CPAs could trade well too. Don't know how many CFIs need a running coach or numbers to be crunched.

FYI, post your location, better luck if people know where you are!

Thanks ninethreekilo. Yep, small target audience here. That said, i live in Brooklyn, ny and am moving to Philly in August. Will post on my profile.

Thanks ninethreekilo. Yep, small target audience here. That said, i live in Brooklyn, ny and am moving to Philly in August. Will post on my profile.

I can hook you up with a great CFI in NE Philly, especially if want an opportunity to fly some top end avionics packages.

I can hook you up with a great CFI in NE Philly, especially if want an opportunity to fly some top end avionics packages.

Av is a great buy but I can't see him interested in marathon training LOL:rofl:.
Brooklyn where in Philly are you moving there are a good number of us POAers here.

I know of several CFI's who would provide their instruction free, or for an easy trade, but as said, most of the cost is in the rental, which might not come so easy

Av is a great buy but I can't see him interested in marathon training LOL:rofl:.
Brooklyn where in Philly are you moving there are a good number of us POAers here.

Dude, Av is buff! Gym several mornings a week with a trainer. S-t you not... he might go for it for something fitness oriented to do as an excuse to fly his plane. If anybody is possible...:dunno:

He's one of if not the most generous people I know, and one of the top 5 smartest.

Last edited:
Really? Let me introduce you to some mythical creatures then. These are on the first 3 of many pages of Ultralights on Barnstormers alone. The top one is a prime candidate.
I didn't think of the pre-owned market.:mad2:

Thanks for the suggestions. If you can refer me to people in the area (this Av person sounds like a great guy) that would be fantastic. I know someone asked where I'll be in Philly - not sure exactly where I'll be living, but would expect within a 5/maybe-10 mile radius of University City (will be studying/working at Penn).

The other thing I've learned on these boards: pilotsofamerica has the largest supply of emoticons I've ever seen.

Thanks again everyone!

As a CFI, I can't think of anything I'd be willing to trade a whole rating for, but I can think of quite a few things I'd be willing to trade a few lessons, flight review, or something else along those lines.

When I was a young and impoverished CFI, I had a young and equally impoverished student who waited tables at a mexican restaurant. We agreed to 5 super burrito dinners/hr of intruction. Worked well until it dawned on me that he was stealing the burritos.

When I was a young and impoverished CFI, I had a young and equally impoverished student who waited tables at a mexican restaurant. We agreed to 5 super burrito dinners/hr of intruction. Worked well until it dawned on me that he was stealing the burritos.

One of the perks of the job he may negotiate with his boss is a few burrittos to pay the gringo for flight lessons, "hell yeah, no worries".

What'dya expect? He ain't got th' funds fer flight training. He ain't got th' funds fer burritos.
'Course th' ones you got were 'leftovers". ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. If you can refer me to people in the area (this Av person sounds like a great guy) that would be fantastic. I know someone asked where I'll be in Philly - not sure exactly where I'll be living, but would expect within a 5/maybe-10 mile radius of University City (will be studying/working at Penn).

The other thing I've learned on these boards: pilotsofamerica has the largest supply of emoticons I've ever seen.

Thanks again everyone!

Well PNE is probably the best bet for you and ironically that's where Av is located. I think his Comanche 400 might be a bit much to do primary in but you could probably rent a Grumman Trainer from Hortman Aviation for $75 per hour wet and if Av will barter then you would be set.

Well PNE is probably the best bet for you and ironically that's where Av is located. I think his Comanche 260C TC might be a bit much to do primary in but you could probably rent a Grumman Trainer from Hortman Aviation for $75 per hour wet and if Av will barter then you would be set.

FTFY ;)

One of the perks of the job he may negotiate with his boss is a few burrittos to pay the gringo for flight lessons, "hell yeah, no worries".

I don't think so...he was the only white guy who worked there. The restaurant would really pack the people in there, especially on weekends. The wait staff would perform all these silly pranks - the white guy would blow a whistle and yell "IMIGRATION!", and the other waiters would hit the deck. Funny as hell, you had to be there.

Thank you all very much! (that said, don't stop posting if you have any ideas). Adam/Henning - I'll PM you for a way to reach out to Av. Thanks a ton again.

Back