Flight Lesson - 8/23

Alienswede

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Eiwe Lingefors
Had my second flight lesson this past Sunday. I'd looked at the weather in the morning and conditions at the airport were MVFR. I thought for sure I wasn't going to fly but I called my instructor and he told me to come.

So, I made the trek (I live in Brooklyn. No car. I fly out of CDW. Subways and bus gets me there in about an hour) and by the time I got there the weather had improved slightly.

Uneventful w&b, pre-flight and such. Notable exception being I did all the ATC work and didn't mess up :) CFI told me today we'd mainly be doing pattern work.

We took off on rwy 22 and immediately entered the right traffic pattern while my CFI went over the individual steps and me performing them. We made it to base and the landing checklist. I'd studied this but kept forgetting the items due to information overload!

We turned to final and I did the first of what would turn out to be 7 touch & gos. The first landing was just ok. But I would say not bad being my third ever landing ;)

We went up again, went through everything one more time and landed and went up. This time my CFI said "Now you do everything and tell me what you're doing". I did and managed to everything except remember the individual meanings of the letters in LCGUMPS. I got it on the 4th one though. hehe.

Two of the 7 landings were quite terrible in my mind. One was way fast and high. CFI took over on that one. The other was just too far off the center line but still a safe landing.

My CFI said he very rarely does pattern work/landings with a 2nd lesson student. I took that as a great compliment :)

Flying again tomorrow 8/26...

Hey, great writeup!
What do the "L" and "C" in "LCGUMPS" stand for? Landing Checklist?

How about Landing Light, Carb heat?

I started lesosns not too long ago ive got about 9 hours, and i dont like GUMPS, its on the checklist the instructor gave me but we dont use GUMPS just the "V".

Mixture Rich
Fuel on Both
Carb.Heat On
Throttle to 1500
lights

I started lesosns not too long ago ive got about 9 hours, and i dont like GUMPS, its on the checklist the instructor gave me but we dont use GUMPS just the "V".

Mixture Rich
Fuel on Both
Carb.Heat On
Throttle to 1500
lights

Heh, I always love hearing the different acronyms that people have for different checklists and procedures.

The one I use for prelanding is:

Her
Majesty's
Flying
Service

Carb Heat on
Mixture full rich
Fuel on proper tank
Seatbelts

I never even heard of BCGUMPS(what ours is anyway) until the test before solo. CFI said most of it doesn't pertain to my plane/me.

Belts
Carb heat
G
U
M
P
Switches

CFI said it actually stands for:

Be sure landing gear is down
Check to make sure gear is down
Get the gear down
Undercarriage
Make sure gear is down
Probably better check the gear
Shut up and put the gear down

Well, it's not word for word:fingerwag: as it would not be polite to say those things and I can't remember all what he said.

Great write up Alien, thanks!:thumbsup: Sounds like your do'n good. Keep us updated!:thumbsup:

Be sure landing gear is down
Check to make sure gear is down
Get the gear down
Undercarriage
Make sure gear is down
Probably better check the gear
Shut up and put the gear down

Does this apply to the C152 I fly? rofl

Had my second flight lesson this past Sunday. I'd looked at the weather in the morning and conditions at the airport were MVFR. I thought for sure I wasn't going to fly but I called my instructor and he told me to come.

So, I made the trek (I live in Brooklyn. No car. I fly out of CDW. Subways and bus gets me there in about an hour) and by the time I got there the weather had improved slightly.

Uneventful w&b, pre-flight and such. Notable exception being I did all the ATC work and didn't mess up :) CFI told me today we'd mainly be doing pattern work.

We took off on rwy 22 and immediately entered the right traffic pattern while my CFI went over the individual steps and me performing them. We made it to base and the landing checklist. I'd studied this but kept forgetting the items due to information overload!

We turned to final and I did the first of what would turn out to be 7 touch & gos. The first landing was just ok. But I would say not bad being my third ever landing ;)

We went up again, went through everything one more time and landed and went up. This time my CFI said "Now you do everything and tell me what you're doing". I did and managed to everything except remember the individual meanings of the letters in LCGUMPS. I got it on the 4th one though. hehe.

Two of the 7 landings were quite terrible in my mind. One was way fast and high. CFI took over on that one. The other was just too far off the center line but still a safe landing.

My CFI said he very rarely does pattern work/landings with a 2nd lesson student. I took that as a great compliment :)

Flying again tomorrow 8/26...
Great writeup.

My flight instructors didn't use pneumonics. I'd like to know what LCGUMPS stands for.

I'd like to know what LCGUMPS stands for.

For Peggy and others who asked:

Lights - on
Carburetor Heat - doesn't apply (I fly 172R)
Gas - both
Undercarriage - fixed
Mixture - rich
Power - 1500 rpm
Seat belts - Secured

I'm not a big fan of the acronym either but it works well enough. It's what the chief instructor will ask for in the pre-solo checkride so it can't hurt to know it :)

For Peggy and others who asked:

Lights - on
Carburetor Heat - doesn't apply (I fly 172R)
Gas - both
Undercarriage - fixed
Mixture - rich
Power - 1500 rpm
Seat belts - Secured

I'm not a big fan of the acronym either but it works well enough. It's what the chief instructor will ask for in the pre-solo checkride so it can't hurt to know it :)

What I was told was that the "P" stood for prop. I don't know much, if anything, about a CS prop but I'd think that would be more important than power cause, for me anyway, my power is change'n quite a bit from base-final-land. Not say'n it's wrong, just say'n your hand is usually on the throttle the whole time from base to TD.

I'm a student also and would like feed back.:thumbsup: Plus I've never been in a plane w/a CS prop, not yet anyway.:D

I always found it funny to use "S = Seatbelts" in a landing mnemonic. How many of you actually unbelt yourself in the pattern?

I always found it funny to use "S = Seatbelts" in a landing mnemonic. How many of you actually unbelt yourself in the pattern?

It is perfectly legal for passengers to unbuckle once in the air. This mnemonic is a reminder to check your belt and remind your passengers.

-Skip

It is perfectly legal for passengers to unbuckle once in the air. This mnemonic is a reminder to check your belt and remind your passengers.

-Skip

Legal, yeah. Does anyone do it??

I'm belts on, all the time. Car too. Same goes for pax.

Alien,
where in Brooklyn do you live?
I'm in the Bk as well, and occasionally fly out of KCDW.
Rob

Back