Flight Lesson 8/11/2009

ELTsanwich

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Eric
It was a 8:00 am flight so everything was very calm. We took off from Monroe and headed over to Ann Arbor a class D airport. He wanted me to get more comfortable to talking to control towers. Being a class D they do not have approach and departure so it is a little easier. So we bounced up there and did 3 touch and goes then landed at Monroe while I did my first slip to bleed off some extra height. (I was about 200 feet to high turning final.) I taxied off the run way and he hoped out and I did two full stop landings by myself. Another .2 hours at PIC!

Sounds like you had a good flight - with a fun final landing. (I love slipping to land.)
I fly out of Ray Community (57D). Our CTAF is 122.7... maybe I've heard you on freq. :)

Sounds like you had a good flight - with a fun final landing. (I love slipping to land.)
I fly out of Ray Community (57D). Our CTAF is 122.7... maybe I've heard you on freq. :)

I am usually in a Cessna 150 714HY I'll be up sunday around 1

Nice job Eric!:thumbsup:

I've got over 5hrs solo and I don't even know how to slip, or else I do & I don't know it. :dunno::D

Congrats!:thumbsup:

Nice job Eric!:thumbsup:

I've got over 5hrs solo and I don't even know how to slip, or else I do & I don't know it. :dunno::D

Congrats!:thumbsup:

Pretty much imagine the plane coming down sidewaysish toward the run way. You tilt the wing into the wind a apply full rudder in the opposite direction. Makes the plane like a big air brake. You maintain your desired airspeed with a much greater rate of decent.

Thats the best way I can describe it or look here....has a good picture

http://www.airbum.com/articles/ArticleSlips.html

Pretty much imagine the plane coming down sidewaysish toward the run way. You tilt the wing into the wind a apply full rudder in the opposite direction. Makes the plane like a big air brake. You maintain your desired airspeed with a much greater rate of decent.

Thats the best way I can describe it or look here....has a good picture

http://www.airbum.com/articles/ArticleSlips.html

Ok, yep. I've done plenty of slips for x-winds. I kinda like to crab then slip/"kick" in to land. Never had to slip to bleed, but I'm sure it will happen some day.

Thanks ELT

Back