Flight Lesson: 10-24-09 Dual and solo XC!!

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Did my Dual and Solo Short XC today. I had so much fun. We went from LBX direct to ELA, did some T&G's at ELA, and flew back to LBX.

I called the weather Briefer and got the winds aloft information, then we went in and I filed the Flight Plan. Then we got in the plane and took off and got on course, Climbed to 3,000ft. I stayed dead on course and hit all my Checkpoints right where I planed to. Stayed with in seconds of my Checkpoint times. Got with in 10nm of ELA and we started getting in to a lot of birds. Even one flock of Sand hill Cranes, flew over about 200ft above us. Came in and made a great landing at ELA, back taxied to One Seven, took off and came back in for another landing. Then headed back to LBX. The trip back was rather uneventful. Just good, Fun XC Flight!

Once we got back to LBX we taxied to the hangar and and shut her down. Then my CFI told me to hope in the plane and taxi it back to the terminal and we get some gas put in it and I'd do the same route Solo!!

So We went in the office and I got my Logbook endorsed while I ate a quick snack. After I ate and the plane got it's tanks topped off, I hoped in the plane and took off on my Solo XC!!

I stayed right on course, was dead on all my Checkpoints. Only got a tad interesting when I had to climb over a flock of Dark Geese in my flight path. Came in and made a great landing, back taxied, took off, and headed back to LBX. Again, nothing special happened on the way back.
Landed at LBX and and taxied to the hangar and my CFI picked me up.

I had such a great time today!! My favorite Flight to date!!

I took a ton of pics and a few videos. Here and some of the better pics, and I'll post the vid when it's done. I'll also be making a blog of my Flight lessons from now on, so I'll post the link to it soon.

100_3287.jpg

100_3293.jpg

Landing at ELA.
100_3295.jpg

100_3299.jpg

100_3301.jpg

100_3302.jpg

In this pic I could not help but laugh, but I though "Suckers!! Yall don't know what yall are missing!" to the people driving below on HWY 59.
100_3305.jpg

100_3313.jpg

My Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3rY4VHto4

My Blog...
http://dustinsflightblog.blogspot.com/

Later,
Snaggletooth

Last edited:
Go kid go! Man, You are (excuse the pun) "flying" through training. Keep up the great work! :)

Last edited:
Great pics!!

Just be careful what you say to those suckers in cars and trucks, for there will come a day when you are watching them pass you as you buck a headwind. :eek:

Those are wonderful pics! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Actually flying somewhere and coming back on your own (not to mention hitting all your checkpoints!). Keep on keepin' on, you'll be prepping for the checkride before you know it!

It's exciting, innit?
Good job, especially with the eyes-outside part. Having to maneuver to avoid birds provides an excellent lesson on why you don't want to get preoccupied with anything inside the airplane.

Congratulations, Snaggletooth! Great feeling, isn't it?
I like your pictures, especially the one of the runway ahead!

It is a great feeling!! Makes you feel like a pilot when your 50nm+ from your home airport and your CFI ain't in the right seat!

Nice vid!

Did your helmet cam fall off a couple of times on short final? Scared me a bit there.

Nice approach! Does your CFI stress keeping it on the dotted line? It will boost your landing confidence if you attempt to and are able to stay on the line.

Your landing was alot smoother than the cam's.:thumbsup:

Are you a CAP cadet?

Rick

Yeah... The camera fell a few times. I had it up on top of the panel due to lack of a better place to put it.

Yeah. My CFI likes for me to hit the center stripe. I can stay right on it most of the time. Even on small airports like ELA.

Yes, I'm a CAP Cadet. I really like CAP.

It is a great feeling!! Makes you feel like a pilot when your 50nm+ from your home airport and your CFI ain't in the right seat!

The view is much better without the CFI's head in the way... :redface:

Nice Video Dustin....can't imagine what its like flying over terrain as flat as you have in your part of Texas.

I can only imagine what it looks like you your area. Sounds not so flat where you are. lol

Catskill Mountains to the West, Berkshires and Taconic Range to the East, Adirondack Mountains to the North-northwest, Green Mountains in Vermont to the North-northeast. NYC (and LGA/JFK/EWR) to the South and cutting through this whole area are the Hudson and Mohawk River Valleys. We pay ALOT of attention to AGL data for obstructions, wind-shears, and the mountain obscuration airmets.

Who said we don't have mountain flying in the East!

Try and find an emergency field to land in!:yikes:

But it is beautiful country in which to fly:D

Good for you. Now comes the toughest part. You know how to fly. You've read all the books. Next step is to meet PTS standards for everything.

Congrats Snag!:thumbsup: Missed your lessons for a while due to harvest. Glad things are come'n along so well, it is great to hear!

Wish I could get up, work is keep'n me way to busy.:raspberry::D

Gotta go check your vid. Proud of ya Snag! Keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

Just checked the vid, nice job!

Last edited:
Back