Flight Lesson: 08-26-09 FIRST SOLO!!

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
I did my First solo today!! It was so awesome!!

I was not sure if I was going to get to fly today as the skies were very cloudy and had some rain building to the north. Luckily it held out long enough.

Got to the Airport, got out and while walking to the terminal an Air Log heli started up. so I walked up to the fence right behind it and got blasted by the downdraft. too cool.

My CFI then picked me up and we headed to the hangar to preflight the plane. As I opened the door and reached in to turn on the Master Switch I hear my CFI say "Hey look. Two Air Force Jets." I quickly ran over just in time to see Two F-16's in the distance.

After preflighting the plane we hopped in and Taxied to runway three five. Had to turn Crosswind early as we had a Twin Cessna coming in for One Seven on a 3 mile final. I made three T&G's just as I did them last week. Not very pretty, but Consistent. Then I heard my CFI say what I've been waiting for... "Exit at the next Taxi way, and and Taxi back to Three Five." He then grabbed my Logbook and started filling out my Solo Sign Off.

He gave me a few words of wisdom and told me good luck. I taxied to Three Five, Took a look to final, and called out that I was "Taking off on Runway Three Five and remaining in the Pattern." I was amazed at how fast it climbed with 200lbs less weight in the plane!!

First landing was a bit rough. I leveled off to low, and was going a bit to fast and the plane wanted to float to much. Second one was the same way only alot rougher. when I taxied back my CFI was waiting for me in the middle of the taxiway and I just knew he was going to stop me after the rough landing. Much to my relief he said that the wind had switched and that I needed to take off from One Seven. I was told to take off from One Seven and take it around once and bring it back to the hanger.

As I came in for One Seven I was determined to make this a good landing to end the day on, And that it was! I came in, and made a Very, Very, Very smooth landing. I could feel the tires gradually touch down. I was so happy!

UPDATE!
-----------------------------------------------

The Videos ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLgufKcrM0o

Last edited:
Way to go!!!!

Congrats.

Congratulations to you. Have fun now with navigation work.

Awsome!! every time I hear another student solo, I get a smile on my face reading the stories! Congradulations!! its a feeling you will never forget!

keep up the great work!

Awesome! That was the most nervous point of my training so far, when the instructor got out of the plane and closed the door. It's a great way to get you warmed up for when you solo outside the traffic pattern; you aren't so nervous at that point.

Congrats!

You might have floated because your airplane was suddenly lighter. Congrats, you've passed quite a milestone.

:goofy::goofy::goofy: CONGRATS SNAG!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: We are all proud of ya, way to go!!!:cheerswine:

I can't wait to see the vid! Great write-up!

A few more solo flights and you'll be calm and relaxed. Did ya rip your shirt and sign it to hang on the wall?

Thanks guys!

Allmost with the video editing. I'll have it up soon.

You'll remember this event always, for the rest of your life.

Notice, I didn't say "this day." I have no idea what day I soloed, but I remember soloing! More important and much more fun is coming: Solo Cross Countries. I'm excited for you!

Good on you !:yes: It's onwards and upwards from now on....

Nice vid Snag.:thumbsup: Thanks for post'n it.

You'll remember this event always, for the rest of your life.

Notice, I didn't say "this day." I have no idea what day I soloed, but I remember soloing! More important and much more fun is coming: Solo Cross Countries. I'm excited for you!

+1. A pilot never forgets the first solo! (And how much better the plane climbs without that useless lump in the right seat :rofl:)

Congratulations!

+1. A pilot never forgets the first solo! (And how much better the plane climbs without that useless lump in the right seat :rofl:)

Congratulations!

Or just how bad the first solo landing went - and the expression on the face of the instuctor standing there watching...:yes:

Congratulations!
Or how much he hears that "useless lump" in his/her head all the way through the pattern!:thumbsup:

Glad it's not just me... I kept hearing "Airspeed, Airspeed, Airspeed!" on base and final!

I didn't "hear" his voice as much as watch his hands. I wanted to slap them when he'd start to put them on the yoke!:D Then when he'd show me a maneuver I noticed my hands come'n up to the yoke.:dunno:

Solo is great, but once you really "feel" the plane and think ahead of the plane, relax more, don't "over-steer", and kick back by yourself while fly'n...well that is what I remember the most. RELAXATION WHILE FLY'N.:thumbsup::D

Back