Flight Lesson: 08-05-09

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
So sorry Guys. I forgot to post last weeks lesson. here we go.

I was sitting in the parking lot waiting on my CFI to get there (we got there early like normal to watch the planes.). I was playing with my new cell phone and my CFI snuck in with out me seeing. lol

So I went in his office, and I handed him my Pre-solo written test, we sat down and did the few I could not get. Afterwards he told me I did much, much better than most of his students.

After that we got in his car, and headed to the hangar. Preflighted the plane while he took a phone call. we went to hop in the plane and I went to plug in the Headset..... No head sets in the plane. Turns out he lent them to a friend to use in a C310. so went went down got the head sets then hoped in the plane and started the lesson.

We stayed in the Pattern for the whole lesson trying to, as my CFI says, "Get over the hump" and get good landings. We did 8 T&G's. Most of which I forgot to do something and did not get quite a perfect landing, but sooo close. On like the 3rd or 4th one we had a Cessna entering downwind at Midfield, and thats where we were. So We called out to make sure he knew where we were, and he did. Around the same time, a Piper Cub was taking off and turned right at us on his climb out. We called out to tell him he had turned right at us...... The Cessna behind us said he could see us, but the Cub said nothing for quite sometime. At the very last round my CFI said "Ok, In a sec I'll take the plane and demonstrate a proper landing to see if you can get the feel. Maybe you just need to see it done."

My CFI came in and did a perfect landing, calling out what to do, and when to do it. On climb out he gave me the plane back and I came in for a full stop and pulled off a near perfect landing!! Boy it felt good to get it right after so many wrongs!!

My next lesson is this Wednesday, and we will be doing more T&G's.

My CFI told me he could solo me now, but wants me to get a bit better. I hope to solo before the end of the month.

I went thru the same thing. Next lesson I was put'n them in there nice and then went solo. When I was doing them wrong I felt that I had forgot everything, I was p.o.

Thanks for post'n snag:thumbsup:. Don't want to be a pain but I sure enjoy read'n your posts.

Relax and enjoy the ride.:thumbsup:

I think a lot of us went through the same thing. I know I did.
I went through a spell of probably a month of lessons or so where it just seemed
like I couldn't land the plane. Eventually it "clicked" again, so stick with it.
It sounds like you're close!

I've always been told to expect that it will seem that you'll get worse, then one day it clicks and you start getting it right. I knew it was coming, now I just have to get "over the hump" so I can solo.

ive never had a student who didn't struggle with landings.

I've never met a 'good' pilot that will say "Wow, I just did a perfect landing!" and actually mean it. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Keep at it.. You'll get there...

Hey Snaggletooth...if you are following my adventures in learning the art, science, magic and joy of flying, you will see that I have many many 'imperfect, oops, that could have been better' moments in the plane. Thats what having an instructor with you is all about. Never, in any of my lessons, have I been anywhere near perfect, nor do I expect perfection. (sometimes though, I think my instructor does :). One of the best things (among alot of them) my instructor told me was that perfection is not my goal, consistency and safety are. Thats why you practice. Don't worry about being perfect. Oh, and the best thing I got over in my learning was trying to set a timeframe for getting my license...at first it was like a contest to see how fast I could finish the PPL. No more. What with the WX being crappy and all, I learned to accept the fact that this thing is in the hands of so many factors that you cannot control...I learned to hone my skills in those things that I can control, and accept those things that I cannot, make safe decisions, and move on, and keep learning.
Sounds like you are doing fine!!!

Wooo Hoo!! Going up today! I'll report back afterwards.

Had a dream last night that my CFI soloed me. We'll see if it holds true. lol

Back