Flight Instruction

upstateny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Now in SW Florida
I've been scouring the FARs looking for a definitive answer. It's probably there, but has elluded me so far. So I'm turning to the experts.

Here's what I've found -
A CFI can give instruction in an owner's aircraft. But, per Part 91.409 (2)(b) if an instructor is using his/her own plane, it needs to have 100 hour inspections or less than 100 hours since the last annual.

So,
Question 1 - If a CFI gives instruction to a pilot who happens to be the CFI's partner in the aircraft, does the 100 hour rule apply? (Gray area given that they're both "owners", but my guess is that in this situation, the FAA would consider it the instructor's plane.) What about a flight review?

Question 2 - If the instruction is completed before the 100 hour rule kicks in, is an annual enough? (My interpretation is, yes.)

I know there are insurance issues too, but let's leave them out of this for now.

Question 1 - If a CFI gives instruction to a pilot who happens to be the CFI's partner in the aircraft, does the 100 hour rule apply?
No a 100hr would not be required. The partner owns the aircraft and could just as easily use another instructor. The instructor is not being made available with the airplane to the general public as a whole.
What about a flight review?
Same as above.
Question 2 - If the instruction is completed before the 100 hour rule kicks in, is an annual enough? (My interpretation is, yes.)

I know there are insurance issues too, but let's leave them out of this for now.
No 100 hr needed so it doesn't matter. If one were needed then an annual would be adequate provided all the instruction is done within 100 hours of it.

There are no insurance issues. There isn't an insurance company that is going to have a problem with a named insured instructor giving instruction to his named insured partner.

Last edited:
Back