Flight in Grand Canyon SFRA

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I'm trying to make sense of the Grand Canyon VFR Chart. Am I allowed to fly anywhere above the "Sector" altitudes? For example, if I wanted to fly in the Supai sector, do I have to stay above 9,999ft MSL?

Better - more relevant question - I'm flying near the Peach Springs VOR, and I want to duck into the Pearce Ferry Sector for some pictures - do I have to stay above 7,999ft MSL, or is there some other restriction as well?

I dont have the chart in front of me, but I thought lowest altitude in the corridors was 10,500 and you had to be above 14,500 anywhere else.

I dont have the chart in front of me, but I thought lowest altitude in the corridors was 10,500 and you had to be above 14,500 anywhere else.
Im not talking about the corridors, but rather the sectors awar from the corridors

You are reading it the same way I would. Any altitude over the upper limit listed is okay. Of course when you get above 3000 ft AGL then you get to do the odd/east, even/west stuff. In the corridors, it is more restrictive, with the 10500/12500-Southbound and 11500/13500-Northbound

Barb

Check out this slide show developed just to help with these kinds of questions.
http://grandcanyonairspace.iat.gov/index1.html

Thanks Ron. So it appears then that my assumption is correct - and that as a General Aviation airplane, I'll be above 8000ft in the Pearce Ferry Sector.

I always thought the Grand Canyon was crazy difficult to navigate. Seems pretty clear to me. Yeehaw, gonna get some good pics provided these rules don't change before June 19th!

My observation is that the canyon is very impressive from any altitude. That's because it's
REALLY BIG!

We departed KHND, using Flight Following and flew towards Grand Canyon West (1G4). 5nm west of 1G4, we turned towards the Peach Springs VOR and tracked ir inbound at 7500'. The views were spectacular. We could in places see the river.

Nary a peep out of ATC

Bo & Sandra

Yes...above sector altitudes and out of the no fly zones you are ok. Also notice not all the no fly zones are 14,500. The west end they are lower.

Have fun and enjoy.

If you do make it to the corridors on the east end, 11500 and 13500 north and 10500 and 12500 southbound.

We departed KHND, using Flight Following and flew towards Grand Canyon West (1G4). 5nm west of 1G4, we turned towards the Peach Springs VOR and tracked ir inbound at 7500'. The views were spectacular. We could in places see the river.

Nary a peep out of ATC

Bo & Sandra
That's because LAS can't see you at <8000 over GCW :)

Last edited:
That's because LAS can't see you at <8000 over GCW :)

Are you sure? They warned us of traffic at 6000', 9 o'clock eastbound just before we turned. It was a sightseeing aztec that we watched for several minutes.

The 495 kept warning us "Restricted area near" but we stayed just outside of the line on the map.

Back