Flight home from WWW yesterday

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
So I took a little trip up to Wyoming yesterday morning. Nothing special, didn't even talk to Denver Approach or Center. Had a little wind on arrival (unusual at 7 a.m.) and density altitude equaled pattern altitude. No problems with a circling approach and landing. Tied the aircraft down and went about the day's work.

Done with day in the field, departed a little after 7 p.m. Had to go south towards Hayden then over the hills since it looked pretty dark and stormy to the east along the usual route. Got to Walden and called Center for help picking a route east. That worked fairly well and I stayed north of the cell which was west of Fort Collins. Big bumps as I passed the cell.

The light was fading as I left the hills but a line of clouds (looked sorta like a gust front but continuous and wasn't moving much) stretching north and south from GXY (ish) was apparent. Flew under the line and got bounced around pretty good - I had slowed down so was well below Va and was about 4500 ft AGL so not a lot of risk. Did lose directional control in the bumps but didn't lose much altitude.

Smooth flight from southeast of GXY to FTG but winds were variable from 170 to 220, 7G17 at FTG (as forecast - well, the variable direction part wasn't forecast). Runway 17 is closed for maintenance. Cleared to land 26. On approach, the runway view was obscured by the centerpost on the Frankenkota. I could not track centerline without crabbing. No point going around 'til getting down near the ground to see how things really were. Started to track centerline using a slip at about 50 feet and the new wingtip HIDs lit the runway really well. It was like a normal daytime landing at that point. The HIDs are really worth it.

Tower and FBO closed while I was fueling. Self serve is up over 5.30 now at FTG. Really glad to get it in the hangar. 3.2 in the log plus 12 hours in the field for the day and I was really beat - did have energy for a barley pop and dinner but that was it.

Whereabouts in Wyoming? The first flight I ever took in a GA aircraft was from RIW to Denver. It was 1977, and I was headed off to MEPS for my military entrance physical.

LOVED that flight. Twin engine something-or-other. Remember the pilot threading his way through some evil looking thunder clouds using his storm scope. It was a very good day.

Whereabouts in Wyoming? The first flight I ever took in a GA aircraft was from RIW to Denver. It was 1977, and I was headed off to MEPS for my military entrance physical.

LOVED that flight. Twin engine something-or-other. Remember the pilot threading his way through some evil looking thunder clouds using his storm scope. It was a very good day.

South central Wyo, the Baggs aea.

No stromscope in the Frankenkota so I depend on the eyeball. It was getting dark on me and it was tough to pick out the rain shafts to avoid.

Back