Flight Guide Airport and Frequency Manual

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Somebody at the airport recently suggested this as an "indispensable resource".

Is this true, or are there other ways to get the same info without having to buy another expensive book (and subscription)?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
I believe all of that data and more is in ForeFlight.

And online. I used to use it before the Internet had all that (and Foreflight) but it's pointless now except as a non powered backup.

Yep. I was a Flight Guide subscriber since the 1960s -- until Foreflight came along. I loved those little brown books (the more recent larger format was a mistake, IMHO), but now they're on my shelf alongside my pocket pager and collection of 8-track tapes.

And online. I used to use it before the Internet had all that (and Foreflight) but it's pointless now except as a non powered backup.

That's what I thought. The guy who recommended it is kind of old school. I don't think he uses Foreflight or anything similar. He doesn't even like using GPS.

Is this true, or are there other ways to get the same info without having to buy another expensive book (and subscription)?

I used to do the maintenance on the owner's Baron way back and he gave me a subscription for many years. At the time it was great, but it's been supeceded IMO with tablet apps. It used to be in 3 square hard cover binders.

Last edited:
Along those line, the owner of the flight school where I did my IR was seriously old school. He did a stage check on me, and when he asked if I had current plates and charts, the answer was "yep, here it is."

He looked at the Jeppesen binder unapprovingly, and said "the first thing we need to do... is to arrange your Jepp." Which we did, agonizingly, for about the next hour. There is a lot of crap in the California Jepp package. I just throw out the old stuff, and put the new stuff in the binder, in the order it is packaged and fish the stuff out as I need it. He on the other hand, thought it was prudent to put all the text pates, enroute charts, area charts, plates, arrival and DP, all within their respective tabbed areas next to the respective plates. What a freakin' PITA. That all goes away with Foreflight charts.

I thought they went out of business over a year ago?

Along those line, the owner of the flight school where I did my IR was seriously old school. He did a stage check on me, and when he asked if I had current plates and charts, the answer was "yep, here it is."

He looked at the Jeppesen binder unapprovingly, and said "the first thing we need to do... is to arrange your Jepp." Which we did, agonizingly, for about the next hour. There is a lot of crap in the California Jepp package. I just throw out the old stuff, and put the new stuff in the binder, in the order it is packaged and fish the stuff out as I need it. He on the other hand, thought it was prudent to put all the text pates, enroute charts, area charts, plates, arrival and DP, all within their respective tabbed areas next to the respective plates. What a freakin' PITA. That all goes away with Foreflight charts.

Oh HELL yes, I hated updating Jepp binders, I quit using them and just bought the pre bound government plates, cheaper and easier. Now with EFBs it's "Update All" when the notifications come in and it's done, and my plane is painted on it when I shoot an approach. Holy **** I love technology.

I subscribed to them thirty-some years ago. Very handy back then. Today...not so much. Completely obviated by tablet EFBs.

How is this still a thing ?

I liked the fat Flight a Guide books. It lived in the plane, didn't need to be plugged in, and was always right there between the seats. Now, I only sometimes have a tablet with me, it's almost never fully charged, and more often than not I forget to pull it out of the bag before loading the luggage. Which leaves me with the little info on the charts. No phone numbers, restaurant hours, runway numbers, AWOS phone number . . . .

Wish they were still around!

There are pilots who have no computers or gadgets, they have a flip phone telephone only cell phone.

So what are those guys using now since Flight Guide has been out of business for over a year? Optima Pilots Guide? That doesn't cover anything east of the Rockies.

So what are those guys using now since Flight Guide has been out of business for over a year? Optima Pilots Guide? That doesn't cover anything east of the Rockies.

A/FD comes in book form still, basically the same thing. Does AOPA still do a paper copy of their guide?

A/FD comes in book form still, basically the same thing. Does AOPA still do a paper copy of their guide?

"Basically" the same thing, in about 8 volumes that must be replaced every 56 days. Hard to keep an airport marked that way. FG was only three volumes for the whole durn country.

Back