Flight following and keeping same squawk code while on round robin.

officedog

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
officedog
I'm going to do my long XC soon, and my instructor is having me get flight following through Charlie airspace to my first destination, then back down clipping the edge of it again, and finally crossing yet again to the final airport before heading back. Kind of like a triangle pattern. He says to let approach know I'll be stopping at those 2 other airports so I can keep the same squawk code....

How do I request this when ask for FF? My first thought is to amend the destination with the 2 other stops and assume that they will assign me a code to hold onto for the 2nd and 3rd leg as well.

And also, when taking off again and requesting FF do I just tack on the squawk code after the request?

Thanks, and I'll confirm with my instructor, but I'd like to hear what you guys might recommend.

Last edited:
I'm going to do my long XC soon, and my instructor is having me get flight following through Charlie airspace to my first destination, then back down clipping the edge of it again, and finally crossing yet again to the final airport before heading back. Kind of like a triangle pattern. He says to let approach know I'll be stopping at those 2 other airports so I can keep the same squawk code....

How do I request this when ask for FF? My first thought is to amend the destination with the 2 other stops and assume that they will assign me a code to hold onto for the 2nd and 3rd leg as well.

And also, when taking off again and requesting FF do I just tack on the squawk code after the request?

In my opinion, this kind of request is best made in (concise) plain English. Something like:
"XXX approach, bugsmasher 1234A, VFR request"
"Go ahead, 1234A"
"1234A is a bugsmasher 700q, five miles east of homebase, 800 feet climbing 2500. Request flight following for round robin landing podunk, then littlefield, then back to homebase."
"1234A, squawk 5432 and ident"
etc etc

Upon approaching podunk, one of three things will happen:

Option one (most likely) is that they will remember who you are and what you're doing, and say something like:
"Bugsmasher 1234A, advise when you have podunk in sight"
"1234A has podunk in sight"
"Bugsmasher 1234A, no traffic observed between you and podunk. Change to advisory frequency approved, report again on this frequency when airborne."
(When you re-contact them, no need to specify your squawk code. Just never switch back to 1200, and when you take off and identify yourself as Bugsmasher 1234A, they'll remember. They may ask you to ident.)

Option two (somewhat likely) is that they will forget what's you're doing, but will be happy to accommodate when reminded:
"Bugsmasher 1234A, no traffic observed between you and podunk. Change to advisory frequency approved, squawk VFR, good day."
"XXX approach, Bugsmasher 1234A will be round robin to littlefield, then back to homebase, request maintain squawk."
"Rodger 1234A, maintain squawk code and report on this frequency when airborne."

Option three (very unlikely unless you're in the DC SFRA or your charlie is embedded in some big bravo or something), they really don't want to deal with you. It begins similar to option two, of course:
"Bugsmasher 1234A, no traffic observed between you and podunk. Change to advisory frequency approved, squawk VFR, good day."
"XXX approach, Bugsmasher 1234A will be round robin to littlefield, then back to homebase, request maintain squawk."
"Unable, 1234A. Squawk VFR and make your request again when airborne."

The only other thing I'll mention (because it happened to me once) is that if you're on one of these "VFR through" situations (for lack of anything better to call them), if something means you're going to be sticking around for a while instead of taking off again (in my case it was a brake failure after parking), call up approach and let them know, so they can clear up the squawk code, and know you're okay.

That's what I'm wondering. It's not difficult for approach to acquire a new tag when you depart again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For VFR flight following, my experience says that if you'll be landing at a nontowered airport outside B/C/SFRA airspace, it's almost certain that once you report the first field in sight, ATC will tell you "Radar service terminated, squawk VFR, change to advisory approved". When you take off again, you'll contact ATC and be giving a new code. If you're outside B/C/SFRA airspace and only making a T&G rather than a full stop, you can let them know that, and they may or may not tell you to "remain on the code, call me on the go". In either case, the controller will definitely want to know that you'll be landing each airport so s/he can handle you properly. Whether you keep the same code or are given a new one really doesn't matter.

Why does it matter if you keep the same squawk code?

As a student on my long X/C, my brain bucket was still getting used to Aviating, about to explode from Navigating, and anything I could do to reduce Communicating kept the blue up and the brown down, tracking (mostly) my plotted course.

As a student on my long X/C, my brain bucket was still getting used to Aviating, about to explode from Navigating, and anything I could do to reduce Communicating kept the blue up and the brown down, tracking (mostly) my plotted course.

If that's going on, wouldn't it be simpler to do the same standard thing three times, rather than make up something new?

May be difficult for atc to keep you on the same squeak code,due to different airspace. Busy airspace doesn't always take the handoff.

it's almost certain that once you report the first field in sight, ATC will tell you "Radar service terminated, squawk VFR, change to advisory approved". When you take off again, you'll contact ATC and be giving a new code.

Several times, if doing a T&G, or a quick taxi back and takeoff, I've told ATC what I was doing and requested keeping my squawk code. I've never been denied.

Just ask.

I personally would just do FF one leg at a time. Controllers would probably prefer that as well because you're leaving them hanging while you're stopped and plans can always change. Although, it's never really occurred to me to do a round robin FF call so I don't really know for sure.

I did do a round robin VFR flight plan once while I was a student pilot, and was told on cancelling that flight service discourages the practice.

Why does it matter if you keep the same squawk code?

My instructor said it's just so they know to expect me back for two more (short) legs. It's the first time I've ever heard of "holding onto a squawk code" as well.

I've done it before. I would mention to the controller that I'd like to do a touch-and-go or stop-and-go at so-and-so airport and then continue on my way.

Maybe I didn't understand the OP's context. I can understand remaining on flight following for a touch and go or a stop and go - you've never really left contact with them save for a short period on CTAF or tower freq, similar to doing multiple practice approaches at different locations. I thought the OP meant parking at the airports for some period of time.

In my opinion, this kind of request is best made in (concise) plain English...

...The only other thing I'll mention (because it happened to me once) is that if you're on one of these "VFR through" situations (for lack of anything better to call them), if something means you're going to be sticking around for a while instead of taking off again (in my case it was a brake failure after parking), call up approach and let them know, so they can clear up the squawk code, and know you're okay.

Awesome! Thanks for all your suggestions. Sometimes when trying to remember proper syntax, plain English works too.

I have asked twice before to keep the squawk code for a quick touch and go and return, both times I was told, something to the effect...."Just squawk VFR (1200) and call us back outbound...its not a problem".

ATC probably doesnt want your code hanging out there, something may happen and you dont come back, now they are in a position to have to terminate you or find out what happened. Its good practice to do the initial call-up again anyway.

It's simpler than that. I want to forget about you when I ship you. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a lazy night departing a class C for a untowered field just outside of the C shelf to do night landings ATC told us to keep the code for the entire time we were in the pattern and off frequency (almost 30 minutes).

Called them back up for the return and they were ready for us. I imagine in some ways keeping the code must make things easier for round-robin flights as ATC suggested it and not I.

Back